Need stupid part for my Husqvarna 262, anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know, it's small, un-necessary and stupid. But when I got this 262 it was missing the little plastic flap on the bottom of the tank handle.
It's only found on the first few years they made this saw (90-92) and it seems like no one has the damn thing available (yes, checked ebay).

I don't even know why they put the thing there unless it's to stash your cigs,,,,or a candy bar, whatever.

Does anyone have one of these laying around? Please send me a PM if you could part with it (trade, $, etc)
-Mark

attachment.php

I know, it's small, un-necessary and stupid. But when I got this 262 it was missing the little plastic flap on the bottom of the tank handle.
It's only found on the first few years they made this saw (90-92) and it seems like no one has the damn thing available (yes, checked ebay).

I don't even know why they put the thing there unless it's to stash your cigs,,,,or a candy bar, whatever.

Does anyone have one of these laying around? Please send me a PM if you could part with it (trade, $, etc)
-Mark

attachment.php

Make one out of aluminum. :msp_smile:

My 262 was missing a cover or plate that is located adjacent to the kill switch right beside the throttle handle I guess it fell out. The hole it left lead right to the carb. I have fixed it with a piece of plastic I cut to fit the hole. I have thought about buying another kill switch because it looks like a switch would fit the hole perfectly but have no idea where to find the part without buying a junk saw.

I have "heard" that compartment was for some electhronic device that never reached the production stage, and/or batteries for such a device. I have no evidence though...

Is it worth $90.00 to you? There is a complete tank listed for that price on Ebay. Found a second one for $28 with free shipping.

Last edited:
Just trying to help ya out M406. I have been looking for a chip deflector for my 262. Put in a bid today on a whole clutch cover.

That space was meant for an electronic unit for the saw (possibly a pre auto-tune system?), if you pull up the 1991 IPL for the 262 look at the tank assembly page. It will have two part numbers at the top for the tank assembly. One having the signification of (M) and several of the part numbers have the (M) signification. If you go to the last page of the IPL it will have the (M) identified as (M)=Microprocessor, this leads me to believe it was some type of control system for the saw. AM I wrong in this? There is also a part number (M) listed for the carb model too, this would have been when the saw was using the HDA-87 carb.

That space was meant for an electronic unit for the saw (possibly a pre auto-tune system?), if you pull up the 1991 IPL for the 262 look at the tank assembly page. It will have two part numbers at the top for the tank assembly. One having the signification of (M) and several of the part numbers have the (M) signification. If you go to the last page of the IPL it will have the (M) identified as (M)=Microprocessor, this leads me to believe it was some type of control system for the saw. AM I wrong in this? There is also a part number (M) listed for the carb model too, this would have been when the saw was using the HDA-87 carb.

Yes, and the part number for the coil was different as well. I didn't find any reference to the (M) regarding the carb? It looks like the microprosessor was connected to the coil, and not to the carb.

The 1990 IPL show the same as the 1991 IPL.

Despite this, I have never heard any reference to a single XPM or XPMG version hitting the market though....

I think the "M" must be for Microsoft. They were thinking of installing a PC in there. The 262 was pretty high tech for it's time.
I personally would prefer a place to plug in my Ipod......

Joking aside, thanks for the suggestions like the spray foam and aluminum cover.
I might try to cut a piece of plastic to fit it.

Still hoping someone on this great site will come through for me with the right part!!!!!!:msp_blink:

Last edited:
If you don't find one send me a pm, I think I have a busted tank with one on it, not for sure though.

Back