Need suggestions for replacement trees in ND

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeFlowin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here are two trees that are dead on the property I just bought. They are on the North side of the property and I think I live in Zone 3. Any suggestions on a good replacement? I was thinking something with leaves so that it doesn't totally block some views when mature like an evergreen would. Thanks.

View attachment 241532View attachment 241533

Here are two trees that are dead on the property I just bought. They are on the North side of the property and I think I live in Zone 3. Any suggestions on a good replacement? I was thinking something with leaves so that it doesn't totally block some views when mature like an evergreen would. Thanks.

241532-img_2027-jpg

241533-img_2028-jpg

It's probably not a bad first step to take a look at the trees that are around you (I see tons in the background) and see what is growing well. At least then you can have some idea of what will tolerate your climate and soil conditions.

Then, is there any indication as to what killed those two (damage around the base, or ???).

And third, now is a horrible time to plant trees. I would think in Zone 3 you would probably want to wait until spring. Can you buy locally, or transplant some babies from some natural area near your house, or mail order?

But with a yard that size some nice maples or oaks would be great. If you have kids you probably want something that grows fast, and it looks like you have plenty of space, maybe Silver Maples (they can be annoying with their surface roots but fast growing) if you can keep them away from a septic field, driveway... etc.

I'm straight north of you in Saskatchewan. You need to decide how fast you want a mature tree. In the last five years we have put in a Burr Oak, Black walnut, Double flowering ornamental crab, and several columnar poplars. They are all doing fine on the harsh prairie. In town, Manitoba Maples (box elder is the other name I think) do very well. Do some research and pick species that are not susceptible to black knot. That is the only disease I've had problems with

Thanks bepperb. I don't know how the trees died. The original homeowenrs said that when the house was struck by lighting (yes that happened and hit the roof!), they think it might have happened from that. I doubt it though since there are a three more trees like that on the property that are dead. I started cutting up one of the little dead ones and it had big ants in it, so I don't know if it was insect caused, disease, or chemical.

The maples are a great idea, I was wanting to look into those. The roots is something good to keep in mind since the septic is that wooden box in the bottom left of the pic.

I'm straight north of you in Saskatchewan. You need to decide how fast you want a mature tree. In the last five years we have put in a Burr Oak, Black walnut, Double flowering ornamental crab, and several columnar poplars. They are all doing fine on the harsh prairie. In town, Manitoba Maples (box elder is the other name I think) do very well. Do some research and pick species that are not susceptible to black knot. That is the only disease I've had problems with

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into to those and see what I can do. No crab trees for me though, my parents have two and I hate getting the little rotten apples in your shoes, they stink!

I believe now having looked around the property that those were Box Elder's. I have a few more dead ones around the yard, so not sure what their story is.

Could be. I have a few in our yard, one probably a bit larger than those. If those grew well most other maples should also. Maybe Silver Maples if you want them fast, Sugar Maples if you want stronger wood, or Red Maples if you want to split the difference?

I couldn't ID a box elder without leaves but if they were that's not terribly surprising. They could easily have dried out over a winter since they seem quite exposed. Not a long lived tree for whatever reason they died. The upside would be you should have quite a few volunteer trees around you could transplant. They tend to form thickets rather than being a solitary standalone tree, but you can pull out a strong one and put it where you want it. Personally I must have 50 under five feet any given summer and I'd rather plant something else especially in the middle of your yard.

Back