Need your opinion on one of two saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadbob

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have the need/want for a bit more saw. So was at the local saw shop and they have two used Stihls. One is a 034 it has a new piston and rings and the oiler has been redone. The other is a 028s wood boss with a new cylinder and piston. Both have 20in bars. Both have a tag of $285 Canadian ($240 U.S.). I cut 2-3 cords a year maybe a bit more. Cut fir and pine. Whats the pros and cons. I will be going down there Saturday morning as the used saws here are nil. What do you think of the price. He won't move on it. Or should I just stick with my 026 with a 20in 3/8.
TIA:popcorn:
Bob

I vote for the 034 also, better air filter, side chain adjuster and
does the 034 have a adjustable oiler? if it does it wont be oiling
when setting at idle

If I'm wrong someone speak up.

The 028 was not a "s" until it was redone with a new cylinder and piston.
thanks for the input and keep it coming. Does the 034 respond to any simple mods??
I can see a homelite sale at my place soon!! 1 dead XL12 one Half dead 330 one good XL1.
TIA
bob

Ineed some space in the truck for wood. The good woman needs not to see too much orange and white in the box, she may get suspicous of my addiction. well there is a clean 372 xpg for $449 at the pawn!!!
Bob

Thats the way it goes, for a little more $ I can get this, next thing
you know you will be buying a new MS361. Been there done THAT!:biggrinbounce2:

Thats the way it goes, for a little more $ I can get this, next thing
you know you will be buying a new MS361. Been there done THAT!:biggrinbounce2:

I hear you. Spring is coming and we have lots of good yard sales coming.
I will find a big saw somewhere for a song, just have to wait, thats the hard part. I like someone else to "drive the car off the lot"!!! Makes it cheaper for me.
LOL
bob

I hear you. Spring is coming and we have lots of good yard sales coming.
I will find a big saw somewhere for a song, just have to wait, thats the hard part. I like someone else to "drive the car off the lot"!!! Makes it cheaper for me.
LOL
bob

Thats the smart thing to do. If you are not in a hurry hang around
here and learn a few things, and you will be better informed about
saws when it comes time to buy one.

Good luck.

I have 034. Good saw. I sometimes use a 20 bar on it, but it runs stronger with a 16"

Mine is pre EPA. I ran it without the spark arester screen in it for a while. Then from info found here, decided to see what the muffler opening measured compared to the exhaust. Holy Moly! It was much bigger! this made me ponder and cogitate some, so being the bright bulb that I am, put the screen back in and it runs much better. Hard to believe I didn't notice how badly it ran without the screen. Just nummer than a hake, I guess. :blob2:

Get the 034, they are good saws.

on a side note, I usually buys saws more than one at a time.... Seems you get a bigger discount if buying a couple or three.....

:jawdrop: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back