neighborhood clean up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you just starting??!!

When I did neighborhood cleanup around my neighborhood.....I did it for free. I had a lift from work and plenty of saws including a pole saw.

Now, I only cut stuff up. No hauling away logs. I would drag logs to the road for the county to take away with my F250. But I did cut stuff up to firewood size if they needed it. I ground stumps....once again with a stump grinder from work for free. I was borrowing all this equipment for free so I was not about to charge anyone for me using equipment from work. All the chainsaws were mine though. The neighbors chipped in with gas and diesel for the stumper. I had 9 cases of beer at the end of it. I had the time of my life through it all. I love that kind of stuff.

I got done with that in the middle of November though.

I did it for free also. When a large tree fell across several driveways, I cut it up enough so people could get their cars out, cut the rest a few days later. Of course they helped carrying the wood to the street for the city or firewood grabbers. I've also refused some also, even being offered payment (tree on house). I don't have any large equipment to deal with that.

My parents used to live out in the country in southeast Louisiana. After Katrina, they had 50 large trees down on the property. I was living in Virginia at the time and drove home to help with cleanup. I hired two locals who needed work for $100/day each. I provided all the equipment.

Side note - I think that's when I bought the Poulan P295 saw new - ran for a week day in and day out with no issues. Cut up a LOT of very large oak trees.

Anyway, if you want a rough estimate, maybe start with you bringing in $200/day, just for general cleanup, chainsaw work. If you're bringing any more equipment, or doing anything else (stump grinding, hauling away stuff), add to it.

To those who cleaned up for free after storms, I agree that's what you do with neighbors, relatives, and friends. But I don't see anything wrong with hustling to make some $ after a storm hits, as long as you're not gouging anyone and trying to take advantage of a bad situation.

What is considered "gouging" is relative, and around here, after ice storms in the past 20 years, most areas around here have established local business laws, requiring liscences and insurance, etc..

Always remember one thing: if you are just helping your friend or relative remove that tree that fell and is blocking his driveway because the tree removal service is booked solid (nudge nudge) and afterwards he gives you a few steaks or a couple bottles of wine as a present (wink wink) there's absolutely nothing illegal in it and nobody will bother you.
On the other side, if you plan to make some money on the margin without proper insurance, certification etc you may violate local laws and end up in a lot of troubles.

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

I wouldn't have done free work for people who were not in line of sight of my own house. I'm not going to ask for anything from my own neighbors. I know the tree companies who came in from all across the country had to get local business licenses before doing work. I had the big stuff taken care of before they even got legal.

Back