Neighbors Firewood pile......Idiot!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirenut2266

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
:dizzy: I noticed my neighbor doing quite a bit a sawin lately with his ms290. Payin attention, only reved saw for a couple seconds and done, repeat, repeat, repeat this continuing for hours and hours for two days......HHMMMMM. I couldn't take it, got out the Nikon binoculars, low and behold he must have a half of a house worth of used 2x4's and 2x6's.....Thinking this is alot of kindling, I talked to his boy. Nope, this is kindling AND this years wood supply!!!!! I don't know what to make of it, either lazy or very stupid. I'll assume burning kiln dried wood in his old farmhouse with a old clay chimney has got to be very dangerous! Plus, just think about feeding that beast, man that has too eat a serious amount of this type of wood. I like the guy, talk quite a bit, farm place is a complete mess, horses always on my property, just a mess. I hope i never come home to flashing red lights or wake up too them!!!! It just makes me wonder if some folks that are hard pressed for wood do this as well, or is just just plain laziness or stupidity....

As a builder... I burn dimensional scrap all the time. It's a nice little supplement to the regular wood supply... And if I didn't take it, it would just go to the dump.

It does burn hot though... But I've had dry cottonwood burn faster and hotter--that dang cottonwood got my cast stove grate sooo hot it sagged.:jawdrop:

I go through quite a bit of waste lumber in the cookstove. Great kindling and as stated earlier, a good supplement.

Any idea if the lumber was in usable lengths? Seems a shame to zing up good 2x4s into firewood since they're more valuable for their intended purpose.

Seems like a weird use of a 290. I use my chop saw to cut mine to length.

my buddy is a framer in the city he has an old monkey wards insert all he burns is 2 x s his house is small like 800 sq feet he get that baby roarin with 2 x s keep all the interior doors closed ive been in there over 110 degrees then we he goes to bed he just loads it up chokes down the air opens interior doors goes to bed warm all night he has the biggest wood pile of 2 x s ive ever seen id say 60 feet long by 30 feet deep and 12 foot high down the center:dizzy: i also worry that ill get the call that his place burnt to the ground. he just laughs

i burned i cant even guess how many pallets in my fireplace when i was laid off 5 years ago. did i mention i got laid off 2 weeks to the day after i bought my house :buttkick: it was a pita but it kept us warm when i was totally broke.

I'm in construction and get a lot of cut offs also. Works just fine in the OWB in this kind of weather and come spring. That's about all I've been burning so far this year, saving the good stuff for later.
As was said earlier, otherwise it would be in the dumpster and you have to pay by the ton to get rid of all that free firewood.:dizzy:

I can't believe that you would waste the teeth on the ole 290... that is a pitiful display of it's ability. But I guess cleanin teeth with toothpicks is ok...

I burn that stuff just to get rid of it, and to start fires. I don't like it because it likes to throw sparks, sometimes I see one leave my chimney and it scares me a bit.

green (very green)!!

:givebeer: i have seen my BIL cut standing live trees in the winter and burn them the next day in his woodfurnace. I think i will be able to hear the firetrucks from my house. he lives in a late 1800's farm house it shouldn't take long to burn!!:givebeer:

:dizzy: I noticed my neighbor doing quite a bit a sawin lately with his ms290. Payin attention, only reved saw for a couple seconds and done, repeat, repeat, repeat this continuing for hours and hours for two days......HHMMMMM. I couldn't take it, got out the Nikon binoculars, low and behold he must have a half of a house worth of used 2x4's and 2x6's.....Thinking this is alot of kindling, I talked to his boy. Nope, this is kindling AND this years wood supply!!!!! I don't know what to make of it, either lazy or very stupid. I'll assume burning kiln dried wood in his old farmhouse with a old clay chimney has got to be very dangerous! Plus, just think about feeding that beast, man that has too eat a serious amount of this type of wood. I like the guy, talk quite a bit, farm place is a complete mess, horses always on my property, just a mess. I hope i never come home to flashing red lights or wake up too them!!!! It just makes me wonder if some folks that are hard pressed for wood do this as well, or is just just plain laziness or stupidity....

Well... at least the guy (maybe) has enough smarts to know he has no business felling a tree if he really doesn't know how. Maybe those 2x's were twisted or just crappy to be used. If the guy wants to make it into firewood, it is his business. JMO

People working in the sawmills back in the 50s/60s commonly burned nothing but the trim ends. Park a truck at the end of the slash chain and load up. I once packed my old man's cow barn with the stuff when I was home on leave. The 2x stock does not burn that badly or that fast. Most of the chimneys back then weren't even lined, just brick/mortar. They also built entire houses and workshops from the trim ends. Material free but oh! the cost of nails :)

Harry K

I'll be tearing down and rebuilding the back part of my shop in the spring, will pile it up and burn it in the CB. removing nails will be the SIL's job. Mills are dissapearing around here, used to get gobs of slabs.

:givebeer: i have seen my BIL cut standing live trees in the winter and burn them the next day in his woodfurnace. I think i will be able to hear the firetrucks from my house. he lives in a late 1800's farm house it shouldn't take long to burn!!:givebeer:

I know several people around here that burn nothing but green firewood every year. One of them I work with every day and he sais that he preferrs green because the seasoned stuff burns too quickly for his liking.

I go through quite a bit of waste lumber in the cookstove. Great kindling and as stated earlier, a good supplement.

Any idea if the lumber was in usable lengths? Seems a shame to zing up good 2x4s into firewood since they're more valuable for their intended purpose.

Seems like a weird use of a 290. I use my chop saw to cut mine to length.
+1! What a waste of gasoline, chain oil, and chain. I'd use my contrator's table saw or onsite table saw with an old carbide blade for that. Maybe a little over a dime an hour?

And, one linear foot of a 2 x 4 is worth more than an hour of electricity to chop it up. :dizzy:

I like scrap wood in the early fall when it is not too cold. I gets hot quick, then quickly burns out. So just a little quick heat and does not roast me out of the house like a long burning fire would.

My neighbor is a cabinet builder and heats his shop exclusively with scrap kild dried lumber

Back