new 346xp tips over easy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All joking aside we just shut our 346 anytime we set it down and usually find a limb end to stick under the case to level it so it won't roll over, on some of our hillsides it might wind up at the bottom of the hollow.

Indian, I always enjoy your input. No BS, but hands on experience.

The 346 is a very nice saw to work with, but it's indeed ennoying to having to watch out how one sets it down. It sure loves to tip over. No biggie according to some, but nonetheless, a saw is not designed to lay on its side. A small stain on an otherwise spotless reputation.

The 346 tipping over doesn't bother me at all. I often sit my saws on their sides when working anyway, after all that's how you refuel them:msp_rolleyes:

Exactly, and the saws are just as easy yo pick up from that posision.

If you are on a hill you have to use your head anyway, before setting the saw down. I can't see how it matters in that situation either......:Eye::Eye:

It sure is nice when the biggest complaint about a saw is that it is to light, and thin to keep it standing when not placed on a flat surface. Another option to a kickstand would be to add weight to the recoil/handle side of the saw. I will take the thin, light, falling over saw over the heavy, fat, standing up one though. Take care!

It sure is nice when the biggest complaint about a saw is that it is to light, and thin to keep it standing when not placed on a flat surface. Another option to a kickstand would be to add weight to the recoil/handle side of the saw. I will take the thin, light, falling over saw over the heavy, fat, standing up one though. Take care!

You hit the nail squarely - it isn't a coinsidence that the saw is made like it is! :agree2:

Last edited:
It is nice and light but when you set it down and do something and turn around and it's 10 feet away from where you left it I don't like that. Other than that from what I've used one it's a decent saw.

353 has the same problem but its just as easy to pick it up from the side as the top. Never had problems with it rolling or stallilng. sure do like the thinner profile of that saw though. don't have the tendency to dig the chain into the dirt when picking it up either. Hey its glass half full or half empty to me. Ya don't worry about pickin it up, just run it.

353 has the same problem but its just as easy to pick it up from the side as the top. Never had problems with it rolling or stallilng. sure do like the thinner profile of that saw though. don't have the tendency to dig the chain into the dirt when picking it up either. Hey its glass half full or half empty to me. Ya don't worry about pickin it up, just run it.

Yes, and if it had bothered me the least after using the 353 since 2003, I wouldn't have bought the 346xp in 2007......:)

This is a silly thread, but a very good one for a Sunday. I went out back to check it out, and I thought I'd share the results.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A very, very upsetting experience.

Last edited:
Shocking new discovery!

Once the 346 is on it's side, it dosn't fall over anymore. LOL!!!

Folks just gotta get over the idea, that the little things might get hurt somehow.
It's a saw. They wipe clean with a rag and the scratches, dent's and dings, don't hurt them.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I can't understand why anyone would gripe about this wonderful feature of the 346XP. If you tape down the trigger at WOT and set the saw at the end of your fallen tree, it will roll down the length, limbing the entire trunk.

Lighten up all you Alice's! I spent the whole day in the woods today with my 346 and it never tipped over once. I just plopped it in the snow and there it sat. Imagine that!!! I didn't even have to go to college to figure out how to set a saw down.:hmm3grin2orange:

It's not a problem at ALL in Kentucky!!!

You just set it down with the clutch cover uphill..........and there's ALWAYS an uphill here!!!LOL
Seriously guys, if this is your only issue.....you have no issue!
They are great little saws.
Light, powerful, fast, and most of all, given ANY reasonable care they are RELIABLE!
Maytag should build things as well.

I personally like my 5100 better, but the 346 is still a GREAT little saw.

Mike

Alice? Who the blank is Alice?
Maybe them engineers shoulda spent a little time in marketing, and a little less in Ergonomics 101.

Latest posts

Back