New 346XP vs. 455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BenPutnam

BenPutnam

ArboristSite Lurker
Make sure the bar groove is alwayse clean along with the hole that mates up with the oil hole on your saw. Not sure if this could happen but it could be burning up the oiler cause it can't spit the oil out anywhere.

I just cleaned the bar groove this weekend for the first time since I've owned the saw, that might have something to do with it. :)

BenPutnam

BenPutnam

ArboristSite Lurker
That saw should be running at at least 50:1. You really need to be consistant with the oil/gas mixture to get the best performance out of the saw, otherwise you may cook the top end.

I'm sure it is much better than 50:1, I don't hold back with the oil. I like to cut wood in a fog of smoke, it keeps the bugs away. :)

Boskaerm

Boskaerm

ArboristSite Guru
I just cleaned the bar groove this weekend for the first time since I've owned the saw, that might have something to do with it. :)

Not to talk down on you! But it sounds like you don´t take to much care of your saw!
To keep your saw in working order, it has to be cleaned with regukarity! I probably over do it!
Another important thing is turning the bar, every 5-6 sharpening (also easier to clean when off!).
You must also keep the air filter clean, and the same holds true for the cooling fins on the cylinder.

Hope you take this the right way! Not a critic, just trying to help you keep your new 346XP in top condition! :rock:

Also, mix the fuel 50:1, no more or less. :msp_thumbup:

mayhem100

mayhem100

ArboristSite Guru
Assuming this isn't a joke:

Please, please PLEASE take better care of your 346 than your 455. Use bar and chain oil to lube the bar and chain. Its cheap and can be fond anywhere for under $10 a gallon. Make sure to mix your gas wtih 2 stroke oil in the proper ratio. Dumping oil into the fuel tank when you put gas in there isn't the right way to do it. Get a 1 gallon gas can and a bottle of 2 stroke oil and put in the right amount of oil to make 50:1 mix with 1 gallon of gas...then fill the can with gas and stir it up. Always agitate the can before pouring in case nay of the oil separated.

Treat your 346 the right way and it'll reward you with years or loyal, reliable, angry beaver on crack firewood cutting performance. Mistreat it and put crap in the bar oil tank and mix your gas at random and you're going to be left wondering why everyone raves about this saw since it just never seems to work right.

o8f150

o8f150

Tree Freak
Your wife demonstrated excellent judgement - by all means keep that 346xp! :msp_biggrin:

This reminds me of my own great wife (SawWitch on here). :cry:

PS; Are you sure that your bar heating issue isn't due to using dull chain?

i can't believe this,,,just plain unbelievable,,, no way this happened,, h*** is going to freeze over,, sawtroll agreeded with someone and said they did good,, i think i need a nitro tablet :D:D:D:D

WoodChuck'r
Assuming this isn't a joke:

Please, please PLEASE take better care of your 346 than your 455. Use bar and chain oil to lube the bar and chain. Its cheap and can be fond anywhere for under $10 a gallon. Make sure to mix your gas wtih 2 stroke oil in the proper ratio. Dumping oil into the fuel tank when you put gas in there isn't the right way to do it. Get a 1 gallon gas can and a bottle of 2 stroke oil and put in the right amount of oil to make 50:1 mix with 1 gallon of gas...then fill the can with gas and stir it up. Always agitate the can before pouring in case nay of the oil separated.

Treat your 346 the right way and it'll reward you with years or loyal, reliable, angry beaver on crack firewood cutting performance. Mistreat it and put crap in the bar oil tank and mix your gas at random and you're going to be left wondering why everyone raves about this saw since it just never seems to work right.

Good point - so good I think this statement can extend to every saw in existence.

WoodChuck'r
i can't believe this,,,just plain unbelievable,,, no way this happened,, h*** is going to freeze over,, sawtroll agreeded with someone and said they did good,, i think i need a nitro tablet :D:D:D:D

I'm pretty sure he had no choice there, I mean, it's agreeing about a 346.

The day ole ST disagrees about anything regarding the 346 will be the day hell freezes over.....

o8f150

o8f150

Tree Freak
I keep a very sharp chain and it has the adjustable oiler turned all the way up.

I ran it the other day with the bar and cover off to see if it was oiling and it really wasn't, I could rev it pretty high and only get a drop every now and then. I'll order a new oiler and see what happens.

That 455 is a great saw, I know it gets a bad rap but I love mine and my neighbors are always impressed with it's performance when we go cut wood. Other than the oiling problem I had to have the dealer fix the carb once, probably because I never drain the fuel in the summer and I don't mix my fuel to any specific ratio, I just pour a bunch of oil in the tank then fill it up with fuel and go. I ruined the first oiler because I was using old motor oil for bar oil and some dirt or metal in the oil messed it up.

i am not harping by any means but doing it your way as far as the bar oil and the gas mix is guarentee way to destroy a good saw,, you might as well take a 22 a shoot a hole in your saw everytime you use it,,eventually you will kill it,, i am not bashing you at all but i am VERY particular on how i run mine and i tear it down every time i use it to clean it,, it is a lot of extra work but its worth it in the long run

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Not to talk down on you! But it sounds like you don´t take to much care of your saw!
To keep your saw in working order, it has to be cleaned with regukarity! I probably over do it!
Another important thing is turning the bar, every 5-6 sharpening (also easier to clean when off!).
You must also keep the air filter clean, and the same holds true for the cooling fins on the cylinder.

Hope you take this the right way! Not a critic, just trying to help you keep your new 346XP in top condition! :rock:

Also, mix the fuel 50:1, no more or less. :msp_thumbup:

Exactly! :agree2:

BenPutnam

BenPutnam

ArboristSite Lurker
I gave up on the old motor oil as bar oil when I had to replace the first oil pump and started using standard bar oil.

As for the mix, I can't bring myself to believe that 50:1 is enough oil, that's why I started mixing it in the tank. I first started by adding a little oil into the tank with the mixed gas then I quit mixing the gas and just started adding more oil to the tank.

I might just start mixing my gas 25:1 that way I know how much is in there.

Anyway, my point was that the 455 is a great saw, has suffer under 8 or 9 years of abuse, and still performs excellent everytime I get it out. It always bugs me when people talk about their, for example, toyota truck's durability when the truck has never been off the pavement, never pulled anything (or even been at full throttle for that matter), and has been regularly serviced every 3,000 miles. Of course they were able to put 300,000 miles on it, let me drive it for a few years, cutting firewood back in the woods, pulling tractors around, stomping it at every green light, and getting it serviced when I have time and lets see how long it lasts. If I get 300,000 miles out of it then you know it's a durable truck. :)

o8f150

o8f150

Tree Freak
i have run 45:1 for years and have never had a problem as long as you use a good oil,, mix .9 gallon to 1 bottle of oil, that will give you 45:1

Boskaerm

Boskaerm

ArboristSite Guru
I gave up on the old motor oil as bar oil when I had to replace the first oil pump and started using standard bar oil.

As for the mix, I can't bring myself to believe that 50:1 is enough oil, that's why I started mixing it in the tank. I first started by adding a little oil into the tank with the mixed gas then I quit mixing the gas and just started adding more oil to the tank.

I might just start mixing my gas 25:1 that way I know how much is in there.

Anyway, my point was that the 455 is a great saw, has suffer under 8 or 9 years of abuse, and still performs excellent everytime I get it out. It always bugs me when people talk about their, for example, toyota truck's durability when the truck has never been off the pavement, never pulled anything (or even been at full throttle for that matter), and has been regularly serviced every 3,000 miles. Of course they were able to put 300,000 miles on it, let me drive it for a few years, cutting firewood back in the woods, pulling tractors around, stomping it at every green light, and getting it serviced when I have time and lets see how long it lasts. If I get 300,000 miles out of it then you know it's a durable truck. :)

With all respect, You misunderstood all the good advices, giving by fellow members!
And if you expect any machine to work, when abussed, and without service, you don´t deserve a new 346XP.

BenPutnam

BenPutnam

ArboristSite Lurker
With all respect, You misunderstood all the good advices, giving by fellow members!
And if you expect any machine to work, when abussed, and without service, you don´t deserve a new 346XP.

LOL...Your probably right but I've already got one. :)

If it makes you feel any better I'm going to put a new oil pump in my 455 and give it to my neighbor where I'm sure it will live out the rest of it's days in pampered in peace.

Latest posts