new attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skid steers aren't the only machines that can use them. My Deere sports a BoDozer and firewood was never so fun till I got one.
316698781.jpg

303757747.jpg

Like nails said get some over the tire tracks it will turn your machine in to whole new one. You wouldn't have to use that chain very much. You would just latch on to the end of the tree and pull it out. Tracks really save you a lot of work.

Also on that craigslist ad. does anyone else fond it funny when someone posts an ad that says hurry if it doesn't sell I'm going to raise my price. That's not a bad price on that grapple but the are a lot better deals out there. I bought mine off e-bay for 1k. It is close to 80"s. It was new also.

Scott

Why not just get one with tracks to start with? Cat track steers kick butt!!

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/ite...aterpillar/277B/Used/Alaska?h=400/2,NewSearch

I looked at the Quicktach stuff (and in no way to knock there grapple) but I was concerned about the material thickness in the tines. BoDozer uses 3/4" on the bottom and 1/2" on the top. The QT looks thinner. And I still bend tines from time to time. Also the weight of the attachment however it is a penalty to how much I can pick up. BoDozer weighs 800lbs for the 54" model even though they say its only 600 and some change. Now I'll tell you how to bend tines everytime. Grab a tree on the end and back up while turning. The turning force will splay the upper tines everytime guaranteed. Something about the BoDozer that I think could be improved is the clamp force. At times I have to play around getting the right bite or big heavy ones will fall out. I thought about larger cylinders but BD says not to. I'm half tempted to try it anyway but would hate to twist the frame with too much force.

I looked at the Quicktach stuff (and in no way to knock there grapple) but I was concerned about the material thickness in the tines. BoDozer uses 3/4" on the bottom and 1/2" on the top. The QT looks thinner. And I still bend tines from time to time. Also the weight of the attachment however it is a penalty to how much I can pick up. BoDozer weighs 800lbs for the 54" model even though they say its only 600 and some change. Now I'll tell you how to bend tines everytime. Grab a tree on the end and back up while turning. The turning force will splay the upper tines everytime guaranteed. Something about the BoDozer that I think could be improved is the clamp force. At times I have to play around getting the right bite or big heavy ones will fall out. I thought about larger cylinders but BD says not to. I'm half tempted to try it anyway but would hate to twist the frame with too much force.

You also have your's on a tractor that can lift and push more causing more stress on the grapple than a skidsteer is capable of.

Is your clamp force issue just the fact that all the tines are connected and you can't get force on individual tines? You go to pick up a crooked log and 3 tines grab instead of all of them and the log falls out.

Last edited:
You can save a ton of money on tracks going used. I just picked up an extra set of used Case brand 12" tracks for $200 at an auction. Also look into have your tires retreaded. That will save you some more money.

Scott

Is your clamp force issue just the fact that all the tines are connected and you can't get force on individual tines? You go to pick up a crooked log and 3 tines grab instead of all of them and the log falls out.
Yes that is sometimes part of it. That design has it pluses and minuses. I think overall for what I do with it being connected like it is works best for me. However if all I ever did was pick logs having the top separated would be better. They now make an option for that and I think they can be pined fixed or unpinned.I called and asked about bigger cylinders and they want to sell me one with a heavier frame for that. For what that unit cost I can live with a few dropped ones.

Why not just get one with tracks to start with? Cat track steers kick butt!!

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/ite...aterpillar/277B/Used/Alaska?h=400/2,NewSearch

The only Cat tracked machine I'd buy is the 267-287.Problem is they are very expensive,and the tracks are expensive to keep up,and maintain.I have a small landscape business,not enough to justify a full blown 20K+ tracked machine that weighs 10K lbs.The weight if that machine+attachments puts it in the range that you need a triple axle trailer or a tandem dual to pull it.It wont fit on 7 tons with any attachments,and be legal.The Cat 247 and 257 are underpowered,and have had a few issues,also expensive undercarraige for what i do. I wanted the 3034T engine,its an animal,nothing like the little 46-60hp 2 and change liter engines the small bobcats and 247/257 have.
I figured the OTT would do me fine,but work has slowed down quite a bit,so moneys tight now.
A few of you guys are telling me I wont need the chains with OTT,but the chain isnt so i can pull the logs, I can yank them without OTT's. The chain is because the trees were at the base of a steep hill and i couldnt get near them with the machine,no tracks or OTT would have helped me.Once I had the chain on it,i yanked it out into the field,took the shots,put the tree in the grapple,and stacked it where I wanted,and repeated that.

Got a few more pics the other day,my oldest boy was moving some good sized trees,the one looks to be a cherry that was uprooted,gotta be 60-70 ft long easily,and about 20" around at the base.The grapple moves them easily.I dont knwo what the logs im handling weigh,but im impressed with the lift capacity of the 246,I havent had any trouble picking up entire trees if ive go the room to manuever them.

Here is my favorite grapple. I have ran one ("84") of these on a T-190 and an S-300 bobcat and both handled it well.

http://www.dymaxattachments.com/attachments/catalog/index.html

Click on grapple rake

It handles about anything it can get ahold of. We have bent the end of one tine but it was strictly because of abuse. When you grab the end of a tree (12" x 30' long)and start pulling and twisting to get a tree out of a tangled mess it doesn't stand much of a chance.. :cheers:

When you grab the end of a tree (12" x 30' long)and start pulling and twisting to get a tree out of a tangled mess it doesn't stand much of a chance..
Thats exactly how I've bent mine a time or two.

Here is my favorite grapple. I have ran one ("84") of these on a T-190 and an S-300 bobcat and both handled it well.

http://www.dymaxattachments.com/attachments/catalog/index.html

Click on grapple rake

It handles about anything it can get ahold of. We have bent the end of one tine but it was strictly because of abuse. When you grab the end of a tree (12" x 30' long)and start pulling and twisting to get a tree out of a tangled mess it doesn't stand much of a chance.. :cheers:

Thanks for the link.It looks awesome. My grapple works great for the budget i was on,I didnt have the $ to go buy a new one.

Latest posts

Back