New Baileys BB kit not a very pretty sight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.

So that means a squish of .020ish should still be safe as well as a squish of .050ish squish using supplied gasket (as others report).

I am taking away that either setup is fine depending on your comfort of running without gasket.

Just a noobie to switching jugs trying to get my head around things.:dizzy:

Note: squish fine as long as decent compression of ~150psi+

Thanks.

So that means a squish of .020ish should still be safe as well as a squish of .050ish squish using supplied gasket (as others report).

I am taking away that either setup is fine depending on your comfort of running without gasket.

Your compression will be higher with a squish of .020 than .050. I would go with the .020 and it will be safe for that saw. Just make sure you've got it sealed up good and that extra compression will give it a boost. You could go from 150psi at .050 to 180+psi at .020 squish, maybe more.

Thanks.

No way do you want a squish of .050". Sure, it'd run, but you'd be leaving a lot of compression on the table. If you go without a gasket, you must use a sealant of some kind. It should be fuel proof.

There are several saws that have one ring, and it ends right in the middle of the intake port. It never drops low enough to enter the port, so is not an issue. The stock 7900 is the same way. The 441 has one in the middle of the intake, and the other to the side of the exhaust.

I believe the decomp hole is above where the rings ride. Same with the area where the NiSi stops. It would be nice if it went to the top, but OEM doesn't even do that a lot of the time. These are designed to be bolt on replacements for the average user.

Could you get us some pics of the transfer port?

So far, I don't see anything that would affect usability. It's kind of like the "chicom" 260 P&C. No, it wasn't perfect, but it wasn't anything that would hurt performance. It's just a quality of finish issue. And I do expect more from OEM.

"So you want to know if it hurts performance. I don't care! That does not matter at this point! The end does not justify the means. So do you practice situational ethics as well? What are the defects? I named them all in the first post. Go re-read it. Just because it runs doesn't make it ok. The quality of this cylinder SUCKS!! Period. You cannot deny that. Don't just tell me it still runs"

Awwwwwwww so funny how the tide changes depending on who scratches ya back...

"So you want to know if it hurts performance. I don't care! That does not matter at this point! The end does not justify the means. So do you practice situational ethics as well? What are the defects? I named them all in the first post. Go re-read it. Just because it runs doesn't make it ok. The quality of this cylinder SUCKS!! Period. You cannot deny that. Don't just tell me it still runs"

Awwwwwwww so funny how the tide changes depending on who scratches ya back...

I agree with you for the most part Tom. However, I do hold Stihl to a higher standard than I do asian aftermarket parts. After all, Stihl parts are at least twice the price!

After seeing that cylinder Atlarge brought over, I would have asked for another one too! If Im thinking right the OEM cylinder for a 7900 is 180.00, really not that much more for the differencein quality, now a 066 kit, thats a different story.

After seeing that cylinder Atlarge brought over, I would have asked for another one too! If Im thinking right the OEM cylinder for a 7900 is 180.00, really not that much more for the differencein quality, now a 066 kit, thats a different story.

I agree with you Gink. The price point is not nearly as attractive on the 7900. And I would have asked for a replacement as well if there's cylinder damage that high in the bore.

I agree with you for the most part Tom. However, I do hold Stihl to a higher standard than I do asian aftermarket parts. After all, Stihl parts are at least twice the price!

LOL, its ok Brad, hell if Stihl sent me cylinders to try out for free I would overlook alot too. I'm just giggling at how gentle you are about the cylinder in this thread verses all the hell raising you did over the 260 cylinder but I understand, its ok, carry on,haha

Some of the cylinders coming out of stihl in the last year for 660 and 460 are not gems either. It goes in cycles, quality improves, market share goes up then the price goes up, competition moves in and puts the squeeze on, quality takes a dive and market share soon follows... and Repeat.

Some of the cylinders coming out of stihl in the last year for 660 and 460 are not gems either. It goes in cycles, quality improves, market share goes up then the price goes up, competition moves in and puts the squeeze on, quality takes a dive and market share soon follows... and Repeat.

True and it goes for all makers. Cost and survive is the name of the game nowdays. Everyone isn't running to China to spend more money, they are running there so save costs and survive..

And I would have asked for a replacement as well if there's cylinder damage that high in the bore.

I'm just giggling at how gentle you are about the cylinder in this thread verses all the hell raising you did over the 260 cylinder but I understand, its ok, carry on,haha

Where's the difference?

Wheres the differance, my goodness. Well ok, are you going to tell Greg that cylinder looks like Chicom Garbage or not??

Nope. These are sold as an Asian aftermarket part, not under the name of Stihl, where I expect a Mahle P&C or of the same quality. I do share plenty with Greg that I would like to see improved. I've shared some of that in the open forum as well. I couldn't just let this conversation die you know. You were swallowing it too easy:greenchainsaw:

Bailey's BB P&C Kit vs. OEM for Dolmar 7900

I was reading through this thread and it brings up a question. I have a Dolmar 7900 which is satisfactory in every way. I want to do a porting job and muffler mod. I ordered an OEM muffler and the NWP P&C Kit (BB 7900) from Bailey's. The muffler, gasket and other stuff have arrived, and I expect to receive the kit in a day or so. I ordered this kit because I am not an expert at porting, and want to practice the craft on another cylinder. So, if I really mess the thing up, at least I'll still have a great running saw and some more valuable experience.

From what I'm reading, it seems as if I should have just popped for the extra $80 and ordered the OEM kit. It is a Mahle, and should be well-made. To me, the extra 2 mm of bore is not a big deal. Maybe I should just exchange the aftermarket parts for OEM parts. What do you guys think?

Note that I am not bashing Bailey's. I have been a customer for years, and they have always given me first-class service. Since I believe in spending the money for top quality equipment, saws and the like, why should I mess with an admittedly substandard piston and cylinder when the extra cost for the OEM part is no big deal? The experience will I gain from porting it is worth more to me than what the kit costs.

If your going to port it I don't see where you gain anything from buying OEM, you'd be cleaning up alot of the junk I seen anyhow and 70.00 is 70.00, the thing this Particuliar cylinder had was the nicks in it, that was caused by what I believe as carelessness on the manu. part probably when they were chamfering the transfer ports?? The transfer port on this one also had alot of cast left into one of the ports but if you were porting it than again not a big deal, just alittle more work.

If your going to port it I don't see where you gain anything from buying OEM, you'd be cleaning up alot of the junk I seen anyhow and 70.00 is 70.00, the thing this Particuliar cylinder had was the nicks in it, that was caused by what I believe as carelessness on the manu. part probably when they were chamfering the transfer ports?? The transfer port on this one also had alot of cast left into one of the ports but if you were porting it than again not a big deal, just alittle more work.

I agree Gink. The same was true of the Stihl 260 cylinder.

Nope. These are sold as an Asian aftermarket part, not under the name of Stihl, where I expect a Mahle P&C or of the same quality. I do share plenty with Greg that I would like to see improved. I've shared some of that in the open forum as well. I couldn't just let this conversation die you know. You were swallowing it too easy:greenchainsaw:

Awwwwwwwwwwww too funny. Well make sure the fingernails are trimmed, you wouldn't want redmarks on ya back,hehehe

Back