New chain ... before first use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamawho

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found this in the Oregon manual ...
Soakchain.jpg

Does anyone do this?

You guys make me LOL... :laugh:

No need to soak a chain overnight. It's overengineering tomfoolery, witchcraft, and voodoo...

Gary

Gary,
I'm sure it was a mere oversight on your part, but you left out Buffoonery, and Shenanigans.

You guys make me LOL... :laugh:

No need to soak a chain overnight. It's overengineering tomfoolery, witchcraft, and voodoo...

Gary

I don't soak 'em, but if I leave them under my 1/100th scale pyramid overnight they'll sharpen themselves. :cheers:

Last edited:
My uncles taught me to do this forty years ago.

I buy those plastic sandwich boxes that snap and seal ... Forget the brand, at my local supermarket. Put a quarter inch of bar oil and three chains or so in them. All my resharpened chains go in these plastic boxes that are labeled with a Sharpie for size and roles ... ie. stump-rough and worn chains vs. new vs. good used.

Shake 'em up before opening and put them on.

Way I look at it, can't hurt anything and makes sense to me to do it.

Only problem I get is it makes replacing a chain an oily affair.

Do I get longer life and less wear? I really don't know. Seems to me I should.

Last edited:
Its just being mechanically sympathetic, chains are lubed before leaving the factory, after that the manufacturer has no control over how there chains are kept. Recommending and oil bath prior to use is just helping the end user get the most out of it.

Ever open a box and pull out a fresh loop covered in rust............

Its just being mechanically sympathetic, chains are lubed before leaving the factory, after that the manufacturer has no control over how there chains are kept. Recommending and oil bath prior to use is just helping the end user get the most out of it.

Ever open a box and pull out a fresh loop covered in rust............

Never happened to me! ;)

All my chains are greasy with oil.

chain life

want better chain life try mixing 2 oz of motorkote to a gallon of bar oil

Oh yeah, this thread does make ya' giggle a bit...
I've got two new Stihl saw chains hanging above my bench... been there for near a year still in the package; the oil has leached out and puddled at the bottom of said package... I can't believe soaking them in oil would make them any "wetter".

Oh yeah, this thread does make ya' giggle a bit...
I've got two new Stihl saw chains hanging above my bench... been there for near a year still in the package; the oil has leached out and puddled at the bottom of said package... I can't believe soaking them in oil would make them any "wetter".

Its all a climate thing, just like you get 6' of snow every year.

When I overfill the bar oil, it runs down the case and onto the bar. I dip my fingers in the puddle and wipe the oil on the chain. (Um, I did that on purpose...)

Anyway, that is the only time the chains get oil other than from the saw's oiler.

Latest posts

Back