New chain saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CertifiedFunds

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok since I cant buy a new bow saw I guess I will buy a power head and order a bow bar for it. Question is Which Sthil to get? I have a 029 farm boss that I have had since (1997 I think) and I really need another saw.

Last edited:
Depends what your cutting and how much ypu will be using it. Gve us more info and you will get plenty of responses back.

Use

BostonBull said:
Depends what your cutting and how much ypu will be using it. Gve us more info and you will get plenty of responses back.

I will be cutting oak and I will cut about 10 cords a year. And no Im not buying a used saw.

CertifiedFunds said:
Ok since I cant buy a ne bo saw I guess I will buy a power head and order a bow bar for it. Question is Which Sthil to get? I have a 029 farm boss that I have had since (1997 I think) and I really need another saw.

Why is Stihl the only option???

Unless you get a MS361, there are better options in most other saw classes.....:givebeer: :popcorn:

choice

It is my saw of choice. I just like them and would like to stay with the brand I already have. Nothing wrong with the others just partial to stihl

CertifiedFunds said:
It is my saw of choice. I just like them and would like to stay with the brand I already have. Nothing wrong with the others just partial to stihl

Just get the MS361 then. It will be a marked improvement over the 290, in all respects.

If you want a really large saw, I suggest the 460 or 660, not the 440 or 441 - actually, unless you take the 660, there are better saws out there........:blob2: :blob2:

Last edited:
CertifiedFunds,

I responded on the bow bar thread, but I would check and see what saws Bailey's can fit a bow for. (Not very good English) As I stated on the other thread, I have run bow saws for at least 38 years. I have run them on many different brands. You are dragging a long chain around the bow. Bows for cutting wood (not brush bars) usually have 14" cutting surfaces (the front of the bow). They are gas welded and friction is great. I personally like saws with manual over-ride oilers. This is why I bought the Echo 670. I just think it is important. Having said that, I have a Stihl MS-460 that is quite a saw and seems to have a good auto oiler. I still do not wish to run a bow on a saw that only has an auto oiler. As I state on the other thread, I use Homelite XL-12s, Super XL-12s, Poulan 306As, 245As, 361s, and 3700s with bows, as well as, my all-time reliable Super Wiz 66 with 16" bow and 1/2" chain.l

I have run Partners with bows also. Check Bailey's. A saw in the 3.3 to 4.0 cu.in. class is fine for a bow.

I would think that a 440 would be about as small as you'd want to go with the bow, in light of its relatively high friction. This is just a seat-of-the-pants-intuition sort of guess, as I have yet to buy myself a bow bar to play with. But given that most bow saw use occurs at a woodpile rather than while hiking around in the woods, the added weight of a 440, 460, or 660 probably wouldn't be that big a deal.

What saw were you running your bow on before?

We use to run a 028 super with a bow and it worked great.I would think that the ms361 would prolly be fine

Bows???

I've seen them, I know what they are,,,, but when would you want to use one?

Luke said:
I've seen them, I know what they are,,,, but when would you want to use one?

When bucking big logs. They are *almost* impossible to get pinched. I want one some day for a big bucking saw. Grandpa had one when I was a kid. Wish he still had it around

Back