New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought this sharpener and just received it couple of days ago and figured I would let you know what I thought of it. There are two main things I do not like about it and they are not reasons to stop you from buying it. First is the depth screw adjustment. It doesn't seem like it was real thought out. The smoothness of it is not that good, not like the rest of the tool. It is kind of rough adjusting it. Kind of hard to explain in writing.

Second is the cutters not being marked with the size. I know the case is marked with the size but what happens when you lose the case for the cutters? For most people just having maybe two different cutters, it probably will not be a big deal. But what about the people that have multiple cutters? I can see the cutters not being marked a problem for them. I am sure quite a bit of time went into making this tool, how much longer could it have took to engrave the size into the cutter itself?

Again, these are very minor issues and should not stop anyone from buying this product, it is still an excellent product.

As far as sharpening with this tool, I used it on two different chains and so far I like it better than hand filing. Now it will take a few sharpenings to get the chain to follow the contours of the cutters exactly, at least on my chains it will. I have not timed it or anything, but I do think it is faster than hand filing. I like the fact that you take off the same amount on each tooth. It does take a little fooling around to get it setup right, it is not like you can just sit the tool on the bar and start sharpening but not that bad.

And I found out they are not at the Farm Show.

I bought this sharpener and just received it couple of days ago and figured I would let you know what I thought of it. There are two main things I do not like about it and they are not reasons to stop you from buying it. First is the depth screw adjustment. It doesn't seem like it was real thought out. The smoothness of it is not that good, not like the rest of the tool. It is kind of rough adjusting it. Kind of hard to explain in writing.

Second is the cutters not being marked with the size. I know the case is marked with the size but what happens when you lose the case for the cutters? For most people just having maybe two different cutters, it probably will not be a big deal. But what about the people that have multiple cutters? I can see the cutters not being marked a problem for them. I am sure quite a bit of time went into making this tool, how much longer could it have took to engrave the size into the cutter itself?

Again, these are very minor issues and should not stop anyone from buying this product, it is still an excellent product.

As far as sharpening with this tool, I used it on two different chains and so far I like it better than hand filing. Now it will take a few sharpenings to get the chain to follow the contours of the cutters exactly, at least on my chains it will. I have not timed it or anything, but I do think it is faster than hand filing. I like the fact that you take off the same amount on each tooth. It does take a little fooling around to get it setup right, it is not like you can just sit the tool on the bar and start sharpening but not that bad.

I'd like to buy one, but still a bit concerned as to setup time and or whether or not a grinder may be a better option. Ill follow this thread til I can make a confident purchase. Just wish I was near a GTG to try one out.

I also think the cutters should be marked, My dog ate my 7/32" holder. No really....

I guess I could engrave a 7 on the end of it and a 5 on the 5/32

Use a sharpie or some paint. You're going to have a very hard time engraving carbide unless you have some diamonds.

Second is the cutters not being marked with the size. I know the case is marked with the size but what happens when you lose the case for the cutters?

They should stamp or mark them so people can tell them apart. A few ideas:

Paint the ends different colors.

Take an old credit card and carefully drill holes in it for each size cutter so that you can check them against it.

Get some small zip lock bags and label those (that's how I mark the anvils for my spinner).

Grind a few marks in the end or shaft with a Dremel tool: 1 mark = , 2 marks = , 3 marks = .

Philbert

I'd like to buy one, but still a bit concerned as to setup time and or whether or not a grinder may be a better option. Ill follow this thread til I can make a confident purchase. Just wish I was near a GTG to try one out.

Really, setup time is not that bad. Now I haven't tried it out in the field yet. But I do think it is much quicker than hand filing even counting the setup time. The price is the biggest thing for most people.

If you do buy a grinder, I would not buy a cheap grinder like the one from Harbor Freight. I got one of those and it does fine for fixing a rocked chain but don't really use it besides that.

I got one of these about a year ago and used it for a while but ended up going back to filing with a roller guide.

It's a good product and will produce a near perfect sharpening but I found it was just too fiddly for me. It took me too long to get it setup correctly and then once it was setup it kept getting out of adjustment. I think I was pushing too hard or was trying to take off too much in one pass and that made it move on the bar. I added an extra slot in mine like was shown back in post #277 so that I was always cutting the same way. This did help me be a little bit more consistent but I still just couldn't get the hang of it. I never really got good with it and eventually found myself going back to the file all the time.

So anyway, not a bad tool but the better sharpening it gave over the file wasn't worth the extra time to me.

If anyone is interested, I have a lightly used one with two 5/32" carbide cutters for 3/8" Pico/low-profile chain I'd let go for a reasonable offer.
If interested send me a PM and I can post some pics in the "Tradin' Post" forum.

-Eric

I can be setup in maybe 2 minutes at the most, and when you tighten the set screws to the bar, as long as they are tight it ain't movin'! I wish you were selling when I was buying! Someone make this man a good offer.

I am having a few issues with this tool. I don't know if it is me using it wrong or the tool. The first issue is when I finish one side of the chain and switch to the other side, I have to adjust the depth because it is simply not taking off anything or the cutter will not fit at all. This is on a brand new Stihl 33RS chain, I have done a little cutting with it but not much. I wouldn't think this is normal.

Second is maybe it is just me but it does not look like it is making a very good edge. Maybe I am not taking off enough but the edge does not look smooth. And it seems it is not going down in the hook very far. Again maybe that is because I am not taking enough off. Or maybe I am not getting the tool setup right. I will try to get some good pics posted shortly.

Pics will definitely help. I sharpen all of one side, then have to make a small adjustment for the other side, it's very small though. And I have 2 loops, a 33rs and an Oregon 72lgx which I have great success putting a fine edge on.

I am having a few issues with this tool. I don't know if it is me using it wrong or the tool. The first issue is when I finish one side of the chain and switch to the other side, I have to adjust the depth because it is simply not taking off anything or the cutter will not fit at all. This is on a brand new Stihl 33RS chain, I have done a little cutting with it but not much. I wouldn't think this is normal.

Second is maybe it is just me but it does not look like it is making a very good edge. Maybe I am not taking off enough but the edge does not look smooth. And it seems it is not going down in the hook very far. Again maybe that is because I am not taking enough off. Or maybe I am not getting the tool setup right. I will try to get some good pics posted shortly.

I had to watch the video three times before I got it. Focused on something different each time. Then I had to learn not to take too much off, it's better to make a couple light passes than to make one heavy pass.

If this don't work, give him a call.

Pics will definitely help. I sharpen all of one side, then have to make a small adjustment for the other side, it's very small though. And I have 2 loops, a 33rs and an Oregon 72lgx which I have great success putting a fine edge on.

I sharpen all of one side as well but when but when going from the left hand teeth to the right hand teeth, it is not even close. The tooth is to far forward.

I had to watch the video three times before I got it. Focused on something different each time. Then I had to learn not to take too much off, it's better to make a couple light passes than to make one heavy pass.

If this don't work, give him a call.

I have watched that video more than once and other videos as well. Part of my problem I may be taking off to much. This is something that will be hard to talk about over the phone.

Here are some pics. The pics may not be that great, I must have a crappy camera for these type of shots.

IMG_0414_zps7511f817.jpg

IMG_0436_zps044fa732.jpg

IMG_0433_zps02a2be51.jpg

This is on a fairly new Stihl chain that has never been sharpened by any other method. I have found that all the teeth are not the same length even though it is new.

If anyone is interested, I have a lightly used one with two 5/32" carbide cutters for 3/8" Pico/low-profile chain I'd let go for a reasonable offer.
If interested send me a PM and I can post some pics in the "Tradin' Post" forum.

Is this still up for sale?

Does anyone know of any retails that post to Australia? Timberline do not directly and either do Amazon, PM please thanks.

Does any one know if they are still giving $25 off ??? , it would be nice cuz I would need 3 different size cutters

Back