new chainsaw owner looking for safety equipment advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't work in a suit of armor. Boots, gloves, helmet, glasses (usually sunglasses) and ear plugs work for me. If im on the ground bucking logs i'll throw on some chaps but i can't climb in them.

doing some jobs PPE becomes more of hazard than a benefit. Proper technique and awareness becomes your PPE at that point. I am sure OSHA doesnt see it that way though

doing some jobs PPE becomes more of hazard than a benefit. Proper technique and awareness becomes your PPE at that point.

Neither replaces the other.

Assuming that PPE replaces the need for good techniques can be as dangerous as assuming that good techniques replaces the need for PPE.

Philbert

If you can find some one with lots of experience to show and explain to you do's and don'ts, that should be advantageous. I didn't have a lot of instruction initially, what little I had i worked off of and learned the rest mostly trial and error. Had a lot of close calls over the years. Falling and cutting can quickly become critical to deadly to one's self. I did pick up more, later when I took a chainsaw safety course required for my work, which also would be good if you can find 1 to attend. I wouldn't advise a hot rod chainsaw to start with either.

PPE and dont drink or use drugs before or during the time ur operating a saw. Be aware of ur surrounding and trip hazards are a big deal to look for. Enjoy your time cutting and keep ur chain sharp

Strongly agree with spending money on this stuff. I upgraded my safety equipment and habits after I took a small woodlot forestry class. In the evenings people would open up and there were a lot of stories and some horrific scars to go with them.

When taking down a tree now I always have on chaps, glasses, boots, helmet with screen and integrated ear protection. And even after they are on the ground: the other day my helmet saved me from a nasty spring back on a hidden limb.

Back