New Chip Truck: What to Buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to Buy

• Used Penske Truck (inexpensive, 100k miles?)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • New Ford F-650 (warranty, quality?)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • New Chevy 6500 (warranty, service?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New GMC 6500 (warranty, service?)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • New Sterling/International/Mack/Kenworth/Freightliner

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by Nickrosis

Automatics are the way to go. You may like stick, and that's fine. But what does it have over automatics? The autos don't have clutches to wear out, and the Allison's last and last.

Wrong. Automatics have MULTITUDES of clutches.

A stick will last longer by sheer simplicity.

Not a rant, Nick, just an experienced observation. I agree that 4k is BULLSH!T! Are you certain the tranny wasn't hammered?

Nick,
Try looking at an Isuzu FRR/Chevy W6/6500 cab overs (all basically the same truck)
- 200hp turbo diesel
- Allison auto trans
- Great turning radius
- 19,500lbs
- Air assisted hydraulic brakes

NPR/W4/4500 are a little too weak for chips and a large chipper.

I have a FRR with a 14' bed and tow a 8,500# Morbark chipper with no problems. (yeah, fully loaded with chips it's in the CDL territory)

I've built about a dozen dump bodies on Isuzu/Chevy cab overs (for both woodchips and grass). They are bulletproof, but don't get a standard trans unless the guy knows how to use it . . . we learned the hard way and converted all ours to autos.

A 14' long, 50" high bed will hold about 6 tons of wood chips.
(we've used W6/6500 Chevys with 30 yard bodies and hauled 10 tons of grass and a large vacuum for years with no problems.

NY has a different requirement than NJ for CDL.
In Jersey CDL is under 26k, or combined truck and trailer under 26k (but the truck can't be under 10k). Also in NJ you don't need a CDL for air brakes if the truck is under 26k.

Whatever you chose make sure you have a good electric brake controller (especially for those quick & panic stops).

While at the ISA convention in Pittsburgh, most of the chip body fabricators told me they could add a body (hoist & labor included) for under $12k.

*"slushbox"

Old-timer slang for an automatic tranny... ;)
Figured you kids might have a hard time with that one.:laugh:

Last edited:
No Alisons are junk if you want a fully automated transmission you gotta look at Fuller/Roadranger transmission. Alison transmission crap out so easy it may not in a very light gvw truck (26,000lbs). If you do get a truck with a juicer then get a good exhaust brake or a Telma brake installed if you want the trucks brakes to last.

Lets put it this way when the juicer blows up it will cost you 10,000-15,000 to replace it. You will see a increased cost in replacing brakes because they will wear out faster.

If a person can't drive a medium duty with a fully syncromeshed 6spd then I don't think they should be driving a truck at all. Like I said a 26,000lb gvw is a 3 ton truck in this area thats light duty.

How about a Unimog with a chipbox or towing a chip/dumpbox combo trailer?

I only mentioned a Unimog because I really want to take one through some trails some day.:D

...found a picture, might be well over the weights you specified though. gonna have to post it on the next one.

Now put this with the previous (picture) units chipper attachment and it's complete. Nothing to tow!

Originally posted by Pacific

If a person can't drive a medium duty with a fully syncromeshed 6spd then I don't think they should be driving a truck at all. Like I said a 26,000lb gvw is a 3 ton truck in this area thats light duty.

You ain't kiddin'.

I've thought about the cab-overs, but I doubt that will be the next purchase...

We've had dealers dancing through our shop all week with truck after truck. It's great. :D We tell them we want one in a different color, and he brings a red one. We say it needs 4-wheel-drive, and he comes back in a couple of hours with one. :D

Anyways, we're looking at 2000 Freightliners with 120k for $29k, 2004 Internationals (4300 w/466) for $35k, and others. For a smaller truck, we've looked at a 2001 Chevy 3500 with a telescoping dump with 22k for $28k. We'll talk him down.:cool:

All automatics. :p

Hey Nick
Do you southern boy's have Hino down there!
If you do check it out 3yr/1 000 000 km
warranty
Yep 1 million k that is pretty good!
They used to be just cab over but the North American market doesn't like cab over so the have gone conventional in this area!
Check them out, we did but it came down to a sweet deal on a 4900 International with a Hiab and we couldn't pass up on it!
No regrets great truck as well, no problems so far!
Touch wood and with that said you know who I'll blame if I run into some bad luck!;)
Later
John

Went shopping this week and bought this truck for $28,000. It has 23k miles on it - a 2001 Chevy 3500.

We'll use it for mulch and firewood, etc. We'll also make a chip box for it within a couple of weeks.

16123.jpg

The dealer also brought around some other trucks to consider. Here's a 2004 Ford F-750 to replace our now defunct F-700. He's selling in the mid 30's...we said no thanks.

16125.jpg

And finally, the 2004 International 4300 with the DT466E engine. Also has an Allison automatic. The list price is $64,000, but the incentives take an eye-popping $20,000 off of that...plus delivery, they want $46,000 for it. Great truck to drive! GVWR of 25,999 lbs., ABS airbrakes, computer screen for a dashboard, terrific mirrors, tight turning radius - I liked it a lot.

Our new shop's in the background. :) I like it a lot, too.

Realistically, we're looking for a new F-650 or Chevy/GMC 6500 in the mid thirties.

16128.jpg

Like I said, I've thought about cab-overs, but I don't they would sell with the guy pulling the purchasing trigger. :eek: Maybe down the road. I really like them for mowing crews - you can put all the lawnmowers on the back quite easily, but our setup now is in a covered trailer - which works great for year-round storage, protection, and security.

i like the chev nick,big consideration with guys having to get in and out all day long being low to the ground

Back