New Chip Truck: What to Buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to Buy

• Used Penske Truck (inexpensive, 100k miles?)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • New Ford F-650 (warranty, quality?)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • New Chevy 6500 (warranty, service?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New GMC 6500 (warranty, service?)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • New Sterling/International/Mack/Kenworth/Freightliner

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nick, a big chip box on that truck will put it WAY overload when full. You know, they do make larger cab overs. The freak of nature used to have one. The truck was very nice to drive because you could see exactly where you were going, and the turn radius was great. The only thing I didn't like about the truck was that to get into the cab you had to do some climbing.

Originally posted by Nickrosis
Went shopping this week and bought this truck for $28,000. It has 23k miles on it - a 2001 Chevy 3500.
I don't understand the reason for putting the rear axle so far to the rear, unless maybe it's for enabling a greater tongue weight.  I don't think I've seen a truck like that around here that hasn't got bent frame rails right behind the cab; usually in the first season of use.

Be careful.

Glen

Glen, I don't think it matters. Nick's not going to find a truck that will last as long as he continues to spec slushboxes in 'em.

There's a reason 90% of the OTR trucks are sticks... they're cheaper, and hold up better. The other 10% is simply to get drivers to fill seats who wouldn't be qualified otherwise.

WTF is so hard about getting the guys to step up to a class B??

Eric, I know you are right about cheaper. And cheaper to run overall because they typically have more gears and can get bettter fuel economy. However, Automatics have a stronger, planetary gear system and actually log more miles without problems on average.:angel:

Originally posted by Stumper
Eric, I know you are right about cheaper. And cheaper to run overall because they typically have more gears and can get bettter fuel economy. However, Automatics have a stronger, planetary gear system and actually log more miles without problems on average.:angel:
That's exactly what I've been trying to say all along. :D

Hino and Isuzu make great trucks, I dont think the trucks you pictured ever make it off shore. Im looking at trucks myself down here.

This ones a 1991 but its only done 10,332kms. It'll take 3 tonne and its 4wd. 3.6 diesel. I just have to make it tip and put some toolboxes on it. All for 16,000NZ (thats about 10,000 US)

Originally posted by Stumper
Automatics have a stronger, planetary gear system and actually log more miles without problems on average.:angel:

WTF did you get THAT statistic????

Erik, Pulled it out of my left elbow of course!:D

Actually I have seen those stats on light trucks-I only have a couple of anecdotal accounts on Heavy vehicles.

All the vehicles Nick's contemplating are medium-duty trucks.  Automatic transmissions should be a non-issue with them and should last the life of the truck.  His problem with the one in the Ford is a fluke.

He really needs to start thinking HEAVY DUTY.

Automatic trannys WON'T last the life of the truck, whether they should or not. I don't care WHO made it... it just rarely happens. There's simply WAY too much that can go wrong in a slushbox vs. a stick.

What ever wears out in a stick? The clutch? Not if you know how to drive correctly. But then, if one knows how to drive, they don;t have to base their vehicle selection on transmissoin anyways. JTPT

Or to put it into your terms...
Kinda like comparing Windows to Linux... sure Linux isn't as user-friendly, but which one works better? ;)

Originally posted by netree
He really needs to start thinking HEAVY DUTY.

I think a 6500 is sufficient for a chip truck.
Automatic trannys WON'T last the life of the truck, whether they should or not. I don't care WHO made it... it just rarely happens. There's simply WAY too much that can go wrong in a slushbox vs. a stick.
I agree. Repairs are part of owning a vehicle.
Or to put it into your terms...
Kinda like comparing Windows to Linux... sure Linux isn't as user-friendly, but which one works better? ;)
Breakin' it down! Breakin' it down!

Okay, now I understand what you're talking about, Erik!  hahaha!

F700 with Allison auto-tranny has other major stuff go bad before the transmission, in my somewhat limited experience.

Heh, just put "allison" into google to see if I'd spelled it right.  Got to browsing (as best I could at the funky site) and found http://www.allisontransmission.com/roadtest/index.jsp

If a worker is going to beat up a piece of equipment, it really doesn't matter what it is.  Synchros and throw-out bearings go bad as well as the clutches in manual boxes.

Having said all that, I believe you'll find I haven't taken a stand either way in the matter.  Call me Switzerland.

Oh, I just found I still had a window open with <a href="http://www.truck.eaton.com/na/spec_products/product_features_specs/transmission/product_profiles/auto_6/" target="_blank">this</a> from earlier this evening.&nbsp; Looks like fun...

Oh more, my spell checker offers "entree" for "netree"&nbsp; :^<tt>)</tt>

Glen

The concept isn't new, Glen. They started out ten years ago with a box that shifted from 9th to 10th and vice-versa automatically.

Synchros??? You're still talking medium-duty. Double-clutching isn't that hard!

As for Allison; gee, ya think it's possible they're biased much? The only reason they've had any success in the market is because the turnover in the trucking industry in pretty near 100 percent. In order to keep good/safe/productive drivers, a company has to pay well and offer trucks with lots of creature comforts... automatics being one of them. Granted, Allison has come a long way from their early days, when troubles abounded... they're still not as reliable as say, a properly driven Fuller 9-speed.

Nick, do you have any way of tracking HOW your drivers treat your trucks?

Of course repairs are part of owning a vehicle... but selecting a vehicle that will need less repairs between the time you buy it and the time you plan to sell it is what it's all about!

Take my C600, for example...$5400 spent in repairs ain't bad at all for 268,000 miles.

Nick, do you have any way of tracking HOW your drivers treat your trucks?

Of course repairs are part of owning a vehicle... but selecting a vehicle that will need less repairs between the time you buy it and the time you plan to sell it is what it's all about!

Take my C600, for example...$5400 spent in repairs ain't bad at all for 268,000 miles.
Yadayadayada. I'm taking all this with a large grain of salt, but not so much salt that I overdose....

Of course we want to minimize repairs. This year, our repairs dropped $25,000 after two quarters over last year. That's something we want to continue.

I'm interested in GPS-based tracking units that provide mapping for the driver and track things like acceleration and top speed, etc. We've got a pretty good idea of how things are being operated and who are the abusers. The guy I work worth is a vehicle abuser - so I do all the driving. Other people are very concientious but no one is perfect. Today's Monday morning meeting was on defensive driving, and we'll continue on the topic in the future.

Finally, companies that have worked on our vehicles have commented that they don't show signs of abuse like others they have seen. One actually put it in writing for us when we asked them to. We're not perfect, but I always want to do better!

Originally posted by Nickrosis
Yadayadayada. I'm taking all this with a large grain of salt, but not so much salt that I overdose....

Rocky? That YOU?

Trucks can take alot of abuse but what really hurts them is inconsistancy of operation. Having alot of different drivers in the same machine a sure fire life shortener but often unavoidable.

Get rev limiters fitted if youve got a few thrashers, those black boxes you can get in newer trucks are awesome. fit something that really looks like one just to scare the bad drivers into driving more carefully if they think you can monitor them. Put a clause in there contract along the lines of "and if mechanical breakdowns are linked to drivers carelessness or wrecklessness......" Its not a nice way to do it but can save you thousands

The problem you guys have in the US is the dumb CDL where you need a cdl to drive a heavy truck so your stuck with a 3 ton truck.

If I was going to spec a truck it would have 12-23 axles most likely a International with 530 Navistar power with a 9 or 10spd transmission behind it. Ohya it would be on air, juice brakes are crap especially juice operated drum brakes.

A automatic is a money pig when it breaks you can replace alot of burnt out clutches for the price of a rebuilt Allison. Driving a 9spd road ranger is easier than trying to shift a 6spd well for me it is.

If Nick wants a automatic let him buy a truck with a automatic but when he comes back here crying because the juicer blew up again for the 10th time there won't be any sympathy here. Or when he starts belly aching that he has to replace brakes on the truck every three months because of the beloved automatic.

If you do get a automatic tranny make sure you get a Telma brake to help with the braking.

The other option is send your employees to driving school to get a CDL and learn how to drive and shift a truck with a real transmission.

You will need a truck with a 21,000lb rear axle which is bare minimum a 23,000lb axle is better. When you employees try todo bunny hops with your automatic equiped truck you need a tough rear axle :laugh:

Or they do the drop and stomp at the stop lights you don't want a axle shaft to blow :D

The worst thing would be some one double dares one of your employees to try do a brake stand with the chip truck to see if they can get 22.5 rubber to spin :cool:

Good Luck

Har har. Why am I not laughing?

Sorry, people around here aren't perfect like where some of you apparently live. Training costs money, too. And our automatic International has never had a transmission problem in 8 years. Compare that to the manuals? I'll stick with the automatic, thank you.

Back