New climbing Line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frans

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to buy more climbing line before I get another spool I would like to know what some personal preferences are and if there are any new ropes coming out on the horizon
Thanks
Frans

i think the Samson 16-strand is the way to go there is blue, gold, and red/black so rotation of lines is easier. I bought a Fly earlier this spring, not that stoked on it. New England is good too but I feel the Samson is more durable, and easier on the claws for grabbing.

I do like the Fly on the taller trees, it is easier to drag your down rope through the tree, more rope fits in the bag... But smaller dia. does have disadvantages. Your not a little man, so it may feel weird in your hands. I'm sure you've tried it.

I don't really like the splice either.

I like XTC for my shorter ropes. It has a stiffer lay then many others. I think I can get a better lock with my feet/ Maybe from a lack of deformation?

The Yellow Jacket and the rest of that line are too waxy for me to get a good lock on. I understand people who dont FL like the way it runs through the TIP.

For the most part, I think it's more of what I don't like in a rope that influances my purchace then what i like. To me blue streak and safety blue are both good and comperable products.

I dig the Sherrill Pro Spec and the Pro Stripe that come with the sliced eye. I started out with12 strand Arborplex and Trueblue because of the cost, but now Im sold on the 16 strand. I still go old school in little crabs or ash trees, but that is about the only time I tie a blakes hitch any more. I am going to order a Fire tomorrow, hopefully my groundie will see it before he runs a saw into it.

Kenn

Thanks for the intel Butch, My wife was just looking at the cataloge and thought it looked "neat" and liked the color. "it stood out" What do women know? Well actally my wife knows the differene between a woopie sling and a loopie sling. She is ordering me the XTC fire in the mornin. Ya just gotta love a woman who is big into tree care.

Kenn

I dunno, Kenn. You might like it. For me, it was too delicate, and the nature of the soft lay tended towards it's tangling up more than it should, and actually tying itself in knots sometimes.

I guess I just need a lil stiffer. After all, I was weaned on grass and three strand esterlon...

:D

I like the 'fly' rope. It has a soft lay, and the lighter weight is great for pulling around. Like JP says the splice is horrible. I can do the splice fairly quickly, but I just dont like the way the sheath flops on the outside of the rope.
Sherrills yellow jacket is just way too waxy for me. I dont know for sure but I think lower cost was a big factor in the design.
Ropes have come a long way, higher strength is not the main issue anymore but knot friendlyness and weight and splicability seem to be more important.
Ken Palmer was telling me about a double braid 1/2" he was thinking about producing but other than that, the 'fly' is the first rope using different manufacturing methods in a long time.
High Vee is a favorite of mine.
I am thinking of buying a spool of the 'fire' rope from XTC but I just might buy a 120' hank and see if I like it
Frans

I recently picked up some new rope. Its a 16 strand all white (similar to safety blue). Its made by Pelican Rope Works in Ca. I used a piece the next day and was relitively impressed w/ it. It is a little stiffer than the safty blue and has a different feel to it, but it handles nicely and holds the vt very well. The tensile is 7000#. It is also available in a white/orange and white/blue pattern although the solid white is all i have right now.

It is very economically priced too. Im selling 120' for $63.60, 150'=$79.50, and 600' = $318.

If anyone is interesteed in trying this out to give me some additional feedback, let me know.

I like blue streak (known as ArborMaster rope in the Sampson catalog), for all the reasons mentioned. Another reason I like it over others is because of its strength...8100lbs or will 810lbs. If you have the option to get good quality rope with higher strength...buy it. Remember, your life is hanging by a "thread", make it a good one! :angel:

I just came back from a nighttime emergency tree removal and the VT got locked up something fierce. Wish they had a glow in the dark color even though the gold streak lights up well with the helmet light.

From my experience, rope snarls are related to rope care not the rope. When climbers don't coil or bag their ropes carefully they turn into a mess. When I was taught to coil ropes over thirty years ago I had to recoil more than one because my boss wasn't happy with the twists that I had coiled into the hank. After spending many hours watching climbers in production and competition I have concluded that rope snaggles are pilot error many more times than plane failure. That goes for myself too. If I take time to stuff or coil my ropes carefully, they don't get snarled up. when I get casual I pay for it.

I was talking with a Samson distributor about the 7/16" line they were developing. It seems that they were having a hard time stabilizing the sheath and core to keep them from moving apart. One problem they had was the core developing hernias out the sheath becaues the core wouldn't milk like expected. Making balanced ropes is a difficult issue. When new ropes are developed it's expected that it might take some trial and error to get the machines and materials to get in tune with each other. When Blue Streak first came out it wasn't unusual to milk off several feet of core before the rope was ever used in the tree. In time, they balanced out the manufacturing process. Now, BS and its cousins are well-liked and perform hard duty for many climbers. To write off a rope from one experience or one person's preferances really isn't fair. Be patient.

Tom

glow

There are glow in the dark ropes out there and you'll find them on the cave climbing sites. Some will glow up to 10 hours. Can you say splunking?

Yes I noticed some rock climbing ropes but prefer gold streak, perhaps if I visit the local nuclear power plant and do some tree work?:D Or maybe Sampson could recommend a coating? Not that we climb in the dark a lot but finding gear would be easier as well near dusk.

I started climbing on Samson True-Blue. When this line wore out I switched to Samson Arbormaster (aka "Gold Streak, Blue Streak, or BRW (Black/White/Red) depending on the color) with a spliced eye.

No way would I switch back. Arbormaster is lighter (yes, I can feel it) and slicker. The spliced eye is very convenient.

Steven

Originally posted by NebClimber
I started climbing on Samson True-Blue. When this line wore out I switched to Samson Arbormaster (aka "Gold Streak, Blue Streak, or BRW (Black/White/Red) depending on the color) with a spliced eye.

No way would I switch back. Arbormaster is lighter (yes, I can feel it) and slicker. The spliced eye is very convenient.

Steven

And it can be spliced at both ends by Sherrill.

Jack

Latest posts

Back