New Echo cs 3510 Anyone own one yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad somebody revived this, because I bought a 3510 about a month ago. I've got a full arsenal of modern and vintage saws in a range of sizes, but I had nothing below 60cc with a good brake and I've got a son who is the right age to start learning to run a chainsaw. . . So I read some reviews (including this thread) and settled on the 3510. I'm actually really impressed by it. It's lightweight and has impressive power for 35cc. There are a few saws with similar displacement and better power specs; but they either weigh as much as a 50cc saw or cost significantly more. I immediately dumped the 16" bar for a 12" -- with the shorter bar it's got plenty of power. (You can easily cut a 20" tree with it, if you know what you're doing -- if you plan to regularly cut that big or bigger, you need a bigger saw anyway.) I've had it fully buried into frozen birch without hanging up. There are a few things that seem unconventional -- like the very simplistic oiler; but it keeps the weight down. And it's new so I haven't had to do any work on it; but I've never seen another clamshell design that has been so well thought out for ease of service (everything is easily accessible). I run it a bit richer than delivered (still without messing with the limiter caps) on 40:1 mix and I really can't say anything bad about it. Wait. . . Ok. . . It was a bit sluggish until warmed up for the first couple hours. It's not a 562 or anything like it; but it's a great 35cc saw -- particularly when you consider price.

I really like the smaller Echo saws, I have a CS-345, CS-346, CS-352, CS-400, CS-590 & a CS-670 in the Echo line (Plus many others, I have a problem :). The CS-352 I keep up at the cottage and it's a great little saw, starts when I need it and gets the job done. The 354 & 346 I also love, very light and just keep going, great for most smaller jobs (Had to clean some crap out of the reed valve on the 345 last week, but not a big deal). I can honestly say I have never had a major problem with any of my Echo's, only thing I need to do currently is the chain adjusting on my CS-670, just clicks without tightening it up, not sure if it just has something in it or needs to be replaced.

I also like the clutch. It's an outboard clutch and that gives the saw a nice balance for limbing. But, even better, it doesn't require any specialty clutch removal tool ... It can be removed with a standard 19mm hex wrench -- like you find on a scrench. That beats the hell out of using a big screwdriver and whacking it with a hammer ( which is the non-specialty tool method on a lot saws with outboard clutches.)

I think that's the first negative comment I've heard about them. What kinds of problems are you having starting it? Just curious because I had thought about getting one at some point.
You have to pull the choke to start it. If you hear any indication that it tried to start on the first pull then you have to push the choke in or it will flood. Sometimes it will flood anyway and you have to wait a day for it to maybe start. This never happens on the CS 352, 310 or 400 that I own. Worst of all as I let it sit around for less than 2 months using other working Echos, the guarantee ran out at 30 days. This is the first Echo I ever owned that had a 30 day warranty and was quite surprised I had let the warranty expire. Of course I understand why it is only 30 days now. It sometimes takes a little work but my old CS5500 will start. within a few tries. I expect the little guys to start today not tomorrow.

Same here, they respond very well to a muffler mod + retune (like any Echo, I'd imagine). Oh also, yank that exhaust screen when you drill the muffler. Mine turns over 2nd pull every time.

Latest posts

Back