New Guy from NJ with a few questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the dealer I use and has good stock
contractor shop Stihl Dealer

Chip-Chop-Shop
32 Old Matawan Rd, Old Bridge, NJ 08857
(732) 238-7888

Last edited:
Good to know you had a good experience at bish. I guess I'll try them again at some point if i have the need. I really like the atmosphere at kurtz. It's real old-school. Its The kind of place where old timers come into the back and just b.s. a while.
I currently live along the river south of p'burg but i grew up in kingwood. Where you at?
Lou

Yeah, Kurtz! That's the place. It certainly does look like the kind of shop where once you're known you can come into the back, sit around the wood stove and bs a while. I guess I'll have to stop in there next time I need something just to check it out.

I can see how someone new might think that Don wasn't friendly or service oriented, but he his. He's quiet and he seems to just take some time to warm up to new people.

Where am I at? Pretty much walking distance to Kurtz! It's kind of funny that I've never been in there. Years ago when I first realized I needed a chainsaw, I borrowed a friend's Poulan Pro for a weekend. I knew I needed more saw than that, and I wanted to talk to someone who knew what he was doing, not the guy who just happened to be on duty in the outdoor department of a big retail store. For reasons I don't recall I stopped in at Bish Sales and have been going there ever since.

i too have wondered where the hell you even buy a pro HUsky saw? ive never seen a husqvarna "dealership" and only see them sold at hd/lowes/sears... thats the main reason i think so many people are turned off by them.
if i wanted to go out and buy a brand new 372 right now, i wouldnt even know where to go.. thats huskys fault, they need to fix it if they ever want to compete with stihl as far as sales numbers, there are many people who dont even realize they make such high quality saws because all they know of them is that they are sold at lowes
good luck on your dealership hunt, ive been to a few bad ones, and finally found a nice family owned full service shop about 15 miles from me.
ditto on the file guide, im still not perfect, but im getting pretty dam good as hand filing, its very satisfying to feel your freshly self-hand sharpened chain pull itself through a log without applying pressuree

Very interesting. Around here the best shops are all Husky. Tallman's Chainsaw Sales is the local one in Honesdale PA, and it is a one man operation out of a barn. This guy really knows his saws, and he sells Husky and Dolmar. Great pricing too.

Another one is Bortz's Saw Shop in Oley, PA. He sells Husky exclusively and knows his stuff as well. Again, a one man operation.

I bought my first Husky back in 1995 up in Massachusetts at a local Power Equipment store. Same deal, one man operation, and the guy knew his stuff.

Around here the Stihl places are weak. The local Deere dealer sells them. What the heck do Deere dealers know about saws? Also, the local Harley Davidson dealer sells Stihl. Again, no connection there. These places are not run by die hard saw guys, but salesman with some basic training. So around here it is the complete opposite.

The Husky shops pretty much sell only professional saws, because they can't compete on price with Lowes or Home Depot. Then they do all the servicing of those saw, because guess what, Lowes won't do that stuff.

My family has a farm and we run about 75% Deere equipment. I can tell you they put the Stihl stuff in to be a more or less complete store. They have the lawn and garden stores that are homeowner oriented with the lawntractors and the X series tractors. Then they have the dealers that sell the commerical stuff and compact tractors. Then you will find the full ag or full construction dealers. Its mostly the first two that will have stihl. If you think about it the idea is a good one from a business prospective. I would do the same if I had a Deere dealer or a Toro or any other major dealership. However I would make sure I had someone that was factory trained and focused on the brand and no a Deere tech to work on them. I went through the Deere school in 1993 its no joke.

My favorite Stihl dealer that closed, owner passed away, was in a barn! I loved the concept. He did well. He sold Stihl and then he sold Honda generators and pumps along with the mowers. He really was great with taking care of the little things and thats what I am looking for. I view saws as something that has to be perfect not just close enough. I can deal with a string trimmer that isnt just right.

Very interesting. Around here the best shops are all Husky. Tallman's Chainsaw Sales is the local one in Honesdale PA, and it is a one man operation out of a barn. This guy really knows his saws, and he sells Husky and Dolmar. Great pricing too.

Another one is Bortz's Saw Shop in Oley, PA. He sells Husky exclusively and knows his stuff as well. Again, a one man operation.

I bought my first Husky back in 1995 up in Massachusetts at a local Power Equipment store. Same deal, one man operation, and the guy knew his stuff.

Around here the Stihl places are weak. The local Deere dealer sells them. What the heck do Deere dealers know about saws? Also, the local Harley Davidson dealer sells Stihl. Again, no connection there. These places are not run by die hard saw guys, but salesman with some basic training. So around here it is the complete opposite.

The Husky shops pretty much sell only professional saws, because they can't compete on price with Lowes or Home Depot. Then they do all the servicing of those saw, because guess what, Lowes won't do that stuff.

Latest posts

Back