New guy needing help with chainsaw decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westernkyboy

Reaction score
Hey im new to the forum but a longtime reader. I am getting ready to buy a new saw. Main purpose will be cutting firewood (mabye two to three cords a year) and keeping the property and woodlot clean (approx. 40 acres). Largest trees that will ever be fell on the property will be roughly 24''-26'' in diameter and almost exclusively oak, hickory and walnut (and probably only about one a year or so and I typically only cut stuff that dies). My question is this; would a ms261 do everything I need or should I look at a 555 or 562? I do have a 028 super that my grandfather gave me but I am wanting to cut back on using it some and keep it in good condition. (would the ms261 be considerable stronger than the 028.?) I looked at the ms362 but didn't really care for it, it just seemed to be huge for a 60cc saw, my dad's 372xp seemed to be more compact and ergonomic than it did. Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Just one guys opinion but I am looking really hard at the 555 for my main saw to go along with my 435 for small stuff. I am not a pro cutter so I think it should last me for a long time.

Bill

It is difficult to offer specific advice, as it is unclear how large most of the wood will be, and how much cutting there will be. However, it "sounds" like the 562xp is the best option of those mentioned.

The 261 will be stronger than the 028, but a much better 50cc option is the 550xp (or the older 346xp).

I run a 18" 3/8 b/c on my MS 261 but I also run a 20" 3/8 b/c

DSC_7471.jpg

261 will handle what your after that saw is strong out of the box and it will even get stronger after about 20 tanks of fuel thru it :msp_thumbup:

The 261 is stronger than a 028 IMO

Welcome to AS

Last edited:
Just run your 028 super and think of your Grandfather everytime you cut. Wish I had kept my Grandpa's homelite XL12 for just that reason.

Or upgrade to a little bigger saw and use the 028 for limbing etc. The Stihl 036 is quickly becoming my favorite saw to run.

It is difficult to offer specific advice, as it is unclear how large most of the wood will be, and how much cutting there will be. However, it "sounds" like the 562xp is the best option of those mentioned.

The 261 will be stronger than the 028, but a much better 50cc option is the 550xp (or the older 346xp).

:agree2:

Not so much your largest size, but more your typical size is what matters. You can always figure out a work around for the few larger. If your largest is 24", assume your average size is in the 12-16" range? A 50cc would be great for that work and easy on the arms. I would look at the 261/550 and which ever manufacture is your preference. You can always double cut the larger logs until you get a bigger saw. (notice i said until, not if :msp_sneaky:)

Hey im new to the forum but a longtime reader. I am getting ready to buy a new saw. Main purpose will be cutting firewood (mabye two to three cords a year) and keeping the property and woodlot clean (approx. 40 acres). Largest trees that will ever be fell on the property will be roughly 24''-26'' in diameter and almost exclusively oak, hickory and walnut (and probably only about one a year or so and I typically only cut stuff that dies). My question is this; would a ms261 do everything I need or should I look at a 555 or 562? I do have a 028 super that my grandfather gave me but I am wanting to cut back on using it some and keep it in good condition. (would the ms261 be considerable stronger than the 028.?) I looked at the ms362 but didn't really care for it, it just seemed to be huge for a 60cc saw, my dad's 372xp seemed to be more compact and ergonomic than it did. Thanks in advance for any help I get.

If I read you correctly, you are cutting one tree per year, and the largest that tree might be is about 25". If so, a 261/346/550 would handle that task well and would be a pleasure. A step up would be the 555, and up a little from that would be the 562. Your feeling of the 362's bulk isn't an illusion. I have one and seldom run it. I own a 372 that, although it weighs about .75 more, doesn't feel that much bigger and pack considerably more punch.

Yes, the 261 is a stronger saw than the 028 by a good margin. It's a fine saw, but it's not the best in the 50cc class.

If you have you dad's 372 if needed for felling and blocking the bottoms, I would pick the 50cc saw that feels the best. Your arms will thank you at the end of the day.

Thanks for all of the quick replies. The majority of the trees in the woodlot are around 20'' or so. And I do have access to the 372 so I can use that if I run into something bigger than usual. So 50cc it is I guess. From what I have read on previous threads, the general conscensus 346xp shines in the limbing category and the 261 might be the better on the ground saw for firewood and such (just going on what I've read.) But where does the 550xp fall in there? My local husky dealer is really more of an echo dealer and never really carries many husky saws in stock that i can put my hands on.

DANG! 7sleeper beat me...

Might I suggest a step outside the big two... I'd check out a Dolmar 6400 or Makita 6401. Home Depot uses them for rental saws so they have to be tough. Handle a 20-24in bar with ease and if you ever decide to upgrade you are only $100-$200 away from 84cc-79cc range to run a 32in bar if you want. From what it sounds a 60cc-ish saw would do you better for 3-4 cords of fire wood a year. 50cc's does ok for the small to medium stuff but for all around felling and bucking for that much wood you want a 20in bar and 60cc's.

Stihl 261, 11.6lbs, 50.2cc= $570 locally
Dolmar 6400, 14.1lbs, 64cc= $640 locally
Husky 372, 13.8lbs, 70.7cc = $920 locally
Husky 550xp, 10.8lbs, 50cc = $600ish.

I'd take the extra 10cc's, extra 2-4 inches of bar, and the option to upgrade in the future for the extra $70. Best all around wood cutter that i've used... If I had to sell all but one chainsaw, I'd keep my Makita 6401 with a 84cc piston and cylinder and HD air filter kit any day of the week. The 6400 is a great mid size saw, and they are about as easy to work on as you can find.

The 550xp is going to be the new "must have" 50cc saw. It's been looking stronger than the 346xp but it also starts at $570-$600ish...

Plus you could put a short bar on the 028 and use it for some lighter limbing...

Just my 2cents.

Last edited:
He has access to a very good 70cc saw (lighter and stronger than a 6401---and you guys know how much I love a Dolly). He has a decent, but older 50cc saw. A 346/550/261 will cut circles around the 028 and will handle most stuff he's likely to encounter. If he didn't have a bigger saw, I would be inclined to recommend the 562. But since he does I think he would be better off shoring up the bottom of his range. A good 50cc saw is a very handy saw.

I have a 261, a ported 026, and a bevy of 346's. My least favorite is the 261. The 550 is a touch lighter, a little stronger, and several dollars more expensive.

2 cents here as well but I would opt for a good used saw or two. The reason being you might get two for the price of one and it's always nice to have a backup saw available to help with the unexpected snafus.
With access to a larger saw available I think you are on the right track looking in the 50 cc range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DANG! 7sleeper beat me...

Might I suggest a step outside the big two... I'd check out a Dolmar 6400 or Makita 6401. Home Depot uses them for rental saws so they have to be tough. Handle a 20-24in bar with ease and if you ever decide to upgrade you are only $100-$200 away from 84cc-79cc range to run a 32in bar if you want. From what it sounds a 60cc-ish saw would do you better for 3-4 cords of fire wood a year. 50cc's does ok for the small to medium stuff but for all around felling and bucking for that much wood you want a 20in bar and 60cc's.

Stihl 261, 11.6lbs, 50.2cc= $570 locally
Dolmar 6400, 14.1lbs, 64cc= $640 locally
Husky 372, 13.8lbs, 70.7cc = $920 locally
Husky 550xp, 10.8lbs, 50cc = $600ish.

I'd take the extra 10cc's, extra 2-4 inches of bar, and the option to upgrade in the future for the extra $70. Best all around wood cutter that i've used... If I had to sell all but one chainsaw, I'd keep my Makita 6401 with a 84cc piston and cylinder and HD air filter kit any day of the week. The 6400 is a great mid size saw, and they are about as easy to work on as you can find.

The 550xp is going to be the new "must have" 50cc saw. It's been looking stronger than the 346xp but it also starts at $570-$600ish...

Plus you could put a short bar on the 028 and use it for some lighter limbing...

Just my 2cents.

Sorry. I'll try to delete my posting..... ;), But actually I also wanted to recomend a rent 6400 for ~200$.

He has access to a very good 70cc saw (lighter and stronger than a 6401---and you guys know how much I love a Dolly). He has a decent, but older 50cc saw. A 346/550/261 will cut circles around the 028 and will handle most stuff he's likely to encounter. If he didn't have a bigger saw, I would be inclined to recommend the 562. But since he does I think he would be better off shoring up the bottom of his range. A good 50cc saw is a very handy saw.
I have a 261, a ported 026, and a bevy of 346's. My least favorite is the 261. The 550 is a touch lighter, a little stronger, and several dollars more expensive.

With access to a larger saw available I think you are on the right track looking in the 50 cc range.

True, if the 70cc is always available and not too far away to barrow then a 50cc is a good choice. Still looking at it from a money and upgrade stand point the dolly still gets my vote. Then you don't have to keep barrowing dad's saw...

OR like someone suggested maybe two good used saws..??

A echo 360t for a top handle and a ms260 50cc seem to be in budget... :biggrin:

Send nmurph a message and get a 346xp that he's worked on. You can get a pro saw for a couple hundred bucks less than new leaving some pocket change for gear like chaps and a lid.

If I were I your position..I'd just buy a rebuilt 346xp from 'nmurph' from the classifieds here.

'nmurph' has rebuilt and sold a TON of 346xp's on this site..and I never have heard of any problem..!!

Smaller OE for about $300 - or the larger NE for about $400...
(and use the extra savings $$ to keep the old 028 well maintained..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:

I agree that the actual availiability of that 372xp could be a desiding matter here, regarding 50cc vs. 60cc.

We don't really know how availiable it actually is though.

There are many good recommendation, it boils down to which you'll have better dealer support at and it you want to buy an American made saw. Persoanl perference varies from user to user, I'm in the commercial firewood business and tried a 346xpne, but bought a MS261 and sold the 346 and bought another MS 261, run it with an 18" .325 set up and love them for general firewood cutting. The 346 is an excellent saw, we just prefer the Stihl as we mainly cut red and whiteoak tops as well as hickory and don't have a decent Husky dealer close buy plus we like the fact the 261 are made in the USA by American workers. The 261 is definetly stronger than a 028, I've got a couple of those as well, I've had one for around 32 years, bought it new and it stihl cuts like it was new. When you buy a new Stihl with a six pack of Ultra Synthetic mix they extend the warranty to two years although you'll prolly never need it.

I agree that the actual availability of that 372xp could be a deciding matter here, regarding 50cc vs. 60cc.
We don't really know how available it actually is though.
ST...(I can't help but ask..) what does availability make any difference...dude cuts 1-to maybe 3 trees a year..!!

It 40 acres...not likely an emergency situation..!!

Just messin' with ya..LOL..slow new posts today..I'm as bored as you..!! Just like to talk to you sometimes..!!..:givebeer:
:cheers:
J2F

Edit: As I have said many times...the legitimate answers will be within the first 20 replies - Now the BS flies..??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back