New guy questions-MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPatz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is my 2nd thread so im not realy new to the site anymore, but Im going to start doing part time tree services and was wanting some opinions on which 28" bar/chain to get for my MS460. I am going to be doing the muff mod, and just got done putting the large dawgs on to it.

So should i just go to my stihl guy and get a bar/chain from stihl or is there something better out there??

Thanks
TJ :greenchainsaw:

Hey Guys,

This is my 2nd thread so im not realy new to the site anymore, but Im going to start doing part time tree services and was wanting some opinions on which 28" bar/chain to get for my MS460. I am going to be doing the muff mod, and just got done putting the large dawgs on to it.

So should i just go to my stihl guy and get a bar/chain from stihl or is there something better out there??

Thanks
TJ :greenchainsaw:

I think its what you like, I love new stihl chains and there bars are top notch! You cant go wrong with stihl!

Depends how much carrying / limbing you will do with the saw.

A 460 with a 28" stihl bar will be slightly front heavy when you're carrying it. With the larger dogs it should still sit flat on a bench though.

If you go with an oregon RW bar, the saw will balance around the front handle, but then you're looking at using a $120 bar that is very bendy.

I would suggest getting it with a 20" bar, and pick up a 28-32" bar using RSF chain for when you actually need it.

When I first got my 28" bar for the 460 it lived on the saw. But now I only put it on when I actually need it, and run a 20" bar most times.

It's a lot easier to buck a pile of 16-20" trees with a 20" bar.

Where are you located / what are you cutting? - Hard wood? Soft Wood? Mostly 20" trees, mostly 25", or a lot of big ones?

As a side note, a stock 460 can bury a 28" bar using full comp chain and pull it just fine in pine, but if you're consistently in stuff over 25", I would probably suggest running full skip. It will still cut plenty fast when sharp.

Last edited:
Everyone has their opinion. I like the Stihl ES bars, although they ain't light. I prefer the Oregon chains, but a lot of people swear by Stihl there too. I leave a 25" with full comp on my 460 pretty much all the time. I generally cut hardwood. I thought about getting a bigger bar, but decided just to get a bigger saw. The ported 660 now wears a 28" 90% of the time, and bigger bars only when really necessary.

Oh, and welcome to the site. If you want a more lively response to chainsaw questions, there is a specific forum for it farther down the home page. You'll notice it's the most popular one....and there are even more opinions to sort through.

:cheers:

Hello, where I work we use 46s, 25" bar some with oregon and some with stihl bars, I don't notice a difference but I am pretty much a novice. With a 25" bar it is an excellent saw, I don't like cutting small stuff with it and have seen an experienced guy get cut from kickback. right below his knee about the length and width of two fingers, out from work for a month almost, lucky he didnt cut through the tendons all the way. A split second of not paying attention....

I am located in N.E. Kansas. The 460 will be mainly cutting up hard woods. And most trees are 25" plus. I was mainly thinking of the 28" b/c just to make sure. I think im just going to go with the stihl stuff, the dealer is only 5mins away from me. Thanks for the input guys!

TJ:greenchainsaw:

I am located in N.E. Kansas. The 460 will be mainly cutting up hard woods. And most trees are 25" plus. I was mainly thinking of the 28" b/c just to make sure. I think im just going to go with the stihl stuff, the dealer is only 5mins away from me. Thanks for the input guys!

While you are there, have him look up the "dual port cover" for the muffler. We got one for our 460. It is MUCH easier than doing your own muffler mod! ALL of our saws are muffler modded (including my personal saws listed in my signature).

As far as bars, we keep a 20" on our 460 most of the time but have 28" and 32" to use when necessary. The same holds true for our 394xp (except the longer bars for it are 32" and 42"). We just prefer to not be buying longer chains when not needed. Our standard general purpose chain is a 20" on most of our limbing / bucking saws. That makes it easier to maintain the saws.

I run a 25in. bar with RSC on my 460. I really like the Stihl ES bars. Heavier than most, but plenty durable. Those reduced weight Oregons sure do look nice though.

I run a 20 and 28 on mine and it pulls the 28 well but its ported but even stock it will pull it good remmeber with the big dogs I think I measured about 25'' of actual cutting bar.

I ran 25- and 28-inch bars on my 460 before it was ported. Handled that easily. Now I put the longer bars on the 660, and a 25-inch ES with full comp 3/8 RSC sits on the 460. The 460 loves to eat. :chainsawguy:

I have a 28" Carlton bar on my 460 and usually Oregon chain. The Carlton seems to have held up better than the Stihl and Oregon bars i've used. Takes bending and abuse better. I think Bailey's has them.

I'm a fan of several bars. If you're just starting out you're going to be sticking the tip of your bar in the ground now and then. Don't care how much you say you won't, you will. The time and energy of sharpening a 20" bar versus a 32" is great. Why tear up a 32" chain and bar cutting 18" wood? If you have to take the big saw up a tree you'll learn quick the difference in the length. You can get double or triple duty out of one saw with 3 bars. Now that I'm getting older and weaker I can appreciate the dogs on a saw. When I was younger and much stronger, we always took the dogs off to get the extra lenght of bar. Joe.

Back