New guy with free saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't decide between 16 or 18 b&c. Also should I go ahead and do the Oregon rim conversion?

whenever i go into a build like this if the bearings are good i flush the case out with fuel many times with the seals in, then a few times with the seals out. i have never had a problem. given that it's an 028 the bottom end is probably as solid as it was when new so no point in splitting the case. they are definitely a sweet saw for firewood, mostly just cause they run when you need them to and will run for decades as long as the owners take care of them. guys with no ear for tuning are the ones that blow them up.

No need in building a case splitter.in the case of the 024 026 and 028 I use a non marring hard plastic hammer and hit the ends of the crank.doesnt take much to get it apart.

I just read through the service manual and noticed that I don't need a case splitter. The bearing looked and felt great when I pulled the seals out, but then I dumped some gas down into the case and now they feel gritty.

I didn't order new bearings because they seemed nearly brand new. I guess I'll have to wait a few more days for bearings to get here. I just don't want to take the risk.

Redfin- all I have right now is my father in laws 455 rancher, and I just inherited my grandfather's Echo 602vl, although I'm told my uncle couldn't get it to start. (My next project.)

I got the 028 AV Super mostly back together tonight. Pulled 135psi on 3rd pull. Hopefully it will bump up when the rings seat. I'll put her to the wood tomorrow after work.

Also I'd like to add that I did end up splitting the case, I put new bearings and seals in, and a new piston and rings (cheapo golf from feebay.)

I finished putting the saw together and got her started. Took 5 pulls. I'm gonna get it on some wood here in a few. I'll report back with pictures.

Also I'd like to add that I did end up splitting the case, I put new bearings and seals in, and a new piston and rings (cheapo golf from feebay.)
Didn't take my advice, eh?
Using Golf pistons is like playing Russian roulette. I've had plenty of experience with them and I've actually had at least two bad Golf 028 super pistons... They have all kinds of issues; anywhere from circlip grooves machined too deeply, ring locating pins either loose or the pin not seated properly, and incorrect deck height.
I no longer will touch them, its either oem or Meteor.

Yeah it was too late. I already had it ordered... After this firewood season it will get a new p&c, if it lasts that long... lol

I did get it tuned in and put a tank of fuel through it. So far so good. The premix that I had on hand was 93 octane mixed 40:1 Castor 927. It's what I've been running in my YZ250. I think I'll just keep using that for now.

Oh and that's an old 20 inch bar that my dad had laying around. He said it might actually be the one that came with the saw.

Well the Damn thing runs like a raped ape, so I'm happy with it. I'm going to get a new 18 b&c, although it seems to pull the 20 pretty good. Thanks for the tips everyone.

I did get it tuned in and put a tank of fuel through it. So far so good. The premix that I had on hand was 93 octane mixed 40:1 Castor 927. It's what I've been running in my YZ250. I think I'll just keep using that for now.

Oh and that's an old 20 inch bar that my dad had laying around. He said it might actually be the one that came with the saw.
She's a clean one...nice lookin' saw!:clap:

She's a clean one...nice lookin' saw!:clap:

Thanks SkippyKtm. I'm definitely not going with the golf piston ever again. Imo the thing was not very good quality. I had to clean the porting on it right out of the box. I guess I'm a little too used to the wiseco 2 stroke dirt bike pistons.

From what I could tell this saw is a 1990 model that was probably toasted since 1991. It looked to me like straight petrol is what took out the p&c. I just cleaned up the aluminum transfer in the cylinder but there was a little bit of scoring. I just didn't want to drop too much cash on it right now so it just got a piston.

This fall I'll give it a little more love with a new p&c and hopefully a little bit of port work.

I can see that I'm in the early stages of CAD, I love it!

Ready to work. Sorry I didn't polish my tool like a lot of you guys do. But I did give it a courtesy wipe down.

Oops looks like I forgot to rub the oil off of my bar.

Cleaning up some borer damage/blow down.
7ezu9ymy.jpg

Latest posts

Back