New Guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJ

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just figured that I should say hi!

I've just picked up my first new chainsaw (MS 260) ever and that was the first time I picked up any chainsaw in about 10 years! I used to run some big husky (80cc?) back home on the farm and have been a city slicker ever since. Picked it up for firewood and mountain bike trail building.

Lots of chain talk going on today, but I have a question:

Will I power out the 260 running RS/RSC chain faster than the RMC3 chain? I've read that he RS chains perform a whole bunch better, but is this only if you've got the power? Or is a case of the RMC3 chain is horribly inefficient in the name of safety?

I think I already have the CAD...theres a 660 in the classifieds...and an 065.

Welcome aboard BigJ!!! :cheers:

Your 260 will be just fine with RS or RSC.

There is lots of "overengineering" (so to speak) on this site... So you are gonna get a lot of crazy answers on how to overengineer your chain selections.

Try 'em all until you find one that cuts well for you. Since you're the only one that matters about that chain decision. :)

Gary

I think I already have the CAD...theres a 660 in the classifieds...and an 065.

Welcome,
Congrats on your new saw. Since you're already thinking about buying another saw I can tell you'll fit in well here.
Longwood

Welcome to the site.A Stihl is the best saw for a newcomer. If I were you I would seek professional help.This place has become a habit that is hard to get away from. I have tried the 12 step program without success.Forget the patches.Lots of good information hear. Some of it even from the owners of the OTHER saw owners.Enjoy, Ken

So, I was running the RSC all along. I guess I didn't look at the stihl saw chain page close enough and just assumed the dealer threw on the safety chain.

I guess I'll have to swing by and pick up some RMC chain as I do cut some dirty wood.

Question:
Would setting the idle speed too low make it a pain in the azz to start the saw? I was monkey-ing around with it and I think I shut it down in the evening with the idle too low. Seems like it was quite hard to start in the morning and I didnt realize it until later that the idle was pretty low.

Welcome to the site.A Stihl is the best saw for a newcomer. If I were you I would seek professional help.This place has become a habit that is hard to get away from. I have tried the 12 step program without success.Forget the patches.Lots of good information hear. Some of it even from the owners of the OTHER saw owners.Enjoy, Ken

I'm not sure if that's a compliment to Stihl or a knock on them? hahaha

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone. I like this site as it's quite dynamic. A lot of the other sites I frequent are so stale and currently boring!

12 steps, or 12 saws?:hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy:

Back