New here looking for some advice 16" or 18"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigpen29

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here and wanted to say first that i enjoy this site a lot and have used it extensively for researching. After much reading and deliberating i am going with a Stihl MS-261 for my first "new" saw. I have previously owned/used saw but this will be my first plunge for a new one. I do have a question though. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the chain size.

For now i will be doing a good mix of everything. Cutting down medium size trees and all that comes with that. some home firewood cutting and a few other misc stuff. I was thinking the 18" since it is going to be my all purpose saw but do you think it will pull ok with an 18"?

Also both dealers are quoting $570 for the saw +18" bar. that seem high?

Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge here!

I Would go with a 18" bar if it is the primary saw. You could run the smaller chain on it but it would do ok with a 3/8" chain if it stays sharp.

I agree with the 18" suggestion. I have that on my MS261 and I bought a 16" bar and chain to put on my old MS260 that had a 18" on it. You have the ability to put a 16" or even a 20" on for whatever conditions you encounter.

Steve

That price is MSRP. Would be difficult to find a dealer discounting the new MS261. Some dealers offer 5% off for cash payment. Might be worth some calls in your area, but with $3/gal, might not be worth the effort.

For the perfect package to suit as far as weight balance performance and just general all-round ease of use on a 50cc stihl, then go 16" .325 chisel and never look back.

Hi all,

First post here and wanted to say first that i enjoy this site a lot and have used it extensively for researching. After much reading and deliberating i am going with a Stihl MS-261 for my first "new" saw. I have previously owned/used saw but this will be my first plunge for a new one. I do have a question though. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the chain size.

For now i will be doing a good mix of everything. Cutting down medium size trees and all that comes with that. some home firewood cutting and a few other misc stuff. I was thinking the 18" since it is going to be my all purpose saw but do you think it will pull ok with an 18"?

Also both dealers are quoting $570 for the saw +18" bar. that seem high?

Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge here!

20" on 50ish saws hasn't been an uncommon practice. I run most 031's-32's in the past with 20 3/8 and 1 of my first 026's also. If its your biggest chainsaw I'd have a 20" and if shorter feels better to you have a 16" also and use what you feel best with at the time for the particular job. If you bury the 16 " in 16" of wood it will be little differant then having an 18" in 16" of wood. Personally on big logs, I hate crawling over or around to get both sides to get them cut up in firewood. Its easiar and quicker for me to get them cut from the original position with a longer bar. I do like a shorter bar sometimes but not often less then 20" unless its dirty wood that is hard on the chain and bar or in rough terrain without very large trees.

I had a 260 with 16" bar, .325 pitch, .063 gauge. Chains were very costly. I would think the 261 would easily pull a 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge chain in 16" bar. That's what I would recommend. Chains are much cheaper.

18" would balance well on that saw for sure. I have a 16" on mine, but is the small saw in my bunch. Funny how it is the one being used the most! You will enjoy the fuel efficiency as well, one heck of a saw!

bought one in early jan with an 18 love i had the same debate but went with the 18 cuase I mianly run it and a 28in. My dealer told me 3/8 didnt come as an optoin, dont know if thats just them or here or they lied lol but I love mine pulls well of course in anything over 15 or 16 in I go for a bigger saw but thats cuase I have them laying around but I do love that saw.:clap:

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I think i am going to go with the 18" and see how it does.

Back