New house, mind looking at the trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boone0

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, read often but don't have much to add here. Just bought a house in a southeast lower peninsula MI suburb. I have five trees in the backyard which I believe will need some pruning and trimming. I love the shade and would have a forest in the back yard if that was possible, so the last thing I want is to remove any of them. It looks like the previous owners just cut off limbs as they became a problem, leading to a kind of ugly appearance. I'd like to avoid that!

I'm not opposed to hiring a professional for work that's out of my scope, but I'm here to learn and would rather do anything I can myself. Additionally, I have a harness and climb SRT to deer hunt, so I will be climbing these trees anyways to practice that. So for smaller branches that need to be cut, I can do that with a hand saw. I was told the power company comes through frequently and clears a pretty wide margin around the power lines, so I'm not really worried about trimming any of those branches.

Long story short, I've got some trees that need a little trimming up. Any suggestions based on the pictures? I'm concerned about the large, rotted looking hole in the base of one of the trees, which is close to the house. Also, any thoughts on tree ID? Finding it tough without any leaves.

Thanks in advance!

6337e66277fa193b583f27ace5f5d592.jpg

45496b8d9ba61ba6fd9a246d0437bb1e.jpg

ae44ccf99bba6b3c0294fb66a047303d.jpg

0b6304a0f5328d906cf73b5f51adb0e6.jpg

3dc9a0d65a36efb43278c15669a27d84.jpg

467143b231afa7c8414b2dcf05a94350.jpg

8fdf08f3f6fef68c755ebb7617cd081e.jpg

8117df272b06cf1ab444b253cd01ad76.jpg

Silver maples.

Get a long screw driver or something and probe into that hole to see how much is rotted. It is not real scary looking but if you figure out there is only an inch of solid wood on the backside I'd be more concerned. The swelling is all reaction wood which is very strong.

your safety and peace of mind is number one. most of these should come down.

Do you drive a car? On public roads with other people? Doesn't sound like the best thing for safety and peace of mind does it? Tens of thousands of people die each year from auto accidents in the US. Tree failure deaths might be 100 bad year. There are more car-related fatalities in a day as there are tree failure fatalities in a year. If we looked at every tree like that, we should never plant another, and cut down all existing trees within striking distance of any building, structure, path, or roadway.

Most those trees would rank as "Moderate" risk. The one with decay in the base does need a closer look. There is also a large dead branch halfway up that should come out. The 6th picture down has a large rotted stub that probably should be pruned out and examined a little closer. Otherwise I don't see anything that would be considered a probable likelihood of failure.

I'm not saying those are the best looking trees, but half the towns in the US are packed full of Silver maple trees that look just like that.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll see how deep a screwdriver goes tomorrow. I'm already planning on dropping that dead branch, as well as a couple on other trees that I can see.

The tree in #6 does have that large rotted trunk. It's tough to see how far the rot goes, when I have time I will get up into an adjacent trunk and get a closer look.

My main concern is the long term health of the trees, and obviously getting rid of anything with a high likelihood of falling into the house.

When the leaves come out, I would suggest you get your climbing gear out and crown clean those trees, that is remove branches that are dead, dying, diseased, deformed or duplication. Also any that are rubbing.

In looking at the long term, you may consider underplanting with a better species. When the underplants become a decent size (you decide decent), you can then remove the silver maples at your leisure.

Thanks, we have been considering planting a fruit tree but we're not sure if we want to deal with all the bees they will attract to our smallish yard. I didn't consider the "underplanting" idea; we are planning on staying 5-10 years.

I appreciate all the feedback!

One last question - the trunk that hangs over the trampoline, the top circle is where it is cut flat with respect to the ground. It has a few small branches off of it but not a lot of significant growth. I am thinking this should be cut at the bottom circle, as it's just a big trunk with very little foliage. I don't see how it has much potential for productive growth. Tough to get a good pic against the sky. Sound about right though?
21753c3dc88ffdb435c5ec21763aab6a.jpg

Yeah...that is probably a good one to take a closer look at. Make sure you use proper pruning cuts. It is always important, but especially on limbs that large.

Yeah, cut them all down and then put a layer of foam rubber over the whole yard. Wouldn't want them to fall and get a boo boo.
LOL. Yeah, I whacked my daughter in the face with a freezer door and gave her a nice goose egg on the forehead today at the grocery store, on her birthday no less. Should have had a helmet on her.

In all seriousness I do want a safe back yard. I have spotted a few widowmakers and some sketchy limbs. I will be taking care of them ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

One last shot... Any saving this one? All other maples in the area appear to have leaves. Most of the branches have bark falling off.

c0ad5c4aa3444b7c8386ca48c9da4754.jpg

465fc3d22e67d59f77ab388477ef8daf.jpg

Thanks, that was my thought but I wanted some backup before I removed a tree that could be saved.

I almost hit "like" on the above post until the recommendation for Crimson king. There are a host of MUCH better trees - especially for a large area like that. But I agree that it is time to replace that tree.

I like Crimson Kings as well. If you consider putting one in, make sure it is back from your driveway. At least around here, they are prone to aphid attack. Aphids = honeydew dripping on your car.

He has nothing but maple in the yard. Why plant another? Especially one with weak wood?? Why plant a tree prone to problems???

He has nothing but maple in the yard. Why plant another? Especially one with weak wood?? Why plant a tree prone to problems???

It's a matter of what will do well in the SELP. If you have another suggestion for a good, beautiful, front yard tree that will do well there, offer it up. I used to live there. I've seen a lot of trees die there. A little too far north or a little too wet or a little too dry or whatever. Hybrid maples like the Crimson King and Autumn Blaze seem to take better and cause fewer problems to homeowners than most others and they look good doing it.

Not sure I want another maple. Wife was thinking Apple blossom. That section of the yard is a little smaller and next to the driveway so we can't plant anything too big. I am open to suggestions! I appreciate the discussion so far.

Back