New Huskee 22 ton splitter .....junk compared to the old ones?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest problem with the box store splitters in the last five years or so them have been switching to import pumps and valves. Before the switch all brands of splitters used the same hydraulics.

I wasn't I was saying box store ones are no good get a commercial one is all. If you are going to spend money do it right . My box store splitter lasted a year or less my commercial one is 15 years old.
So let's say a guy has $1,000 to spend on a splitter... Should he: A) Buy a brand new Speeco or B) Buy a used higher end model knowing that they are hard to come by in decent shape or C) Buy a pallet of splitting mauls?

So let's say a guy has $1,000 to spend on a splitter... Should he: A) Buy a brand new Speeco or B) Buy a used higher end model knowing that they are hard to come by in decent shape or C) Buy a pallet of splitting mauls?
Buy a good used commercial one or put the 1000.oo down and finance a commercial splitter IMOHO. I think ,i have not checked but them husky motors and all the other stuff is made in China I would try to stay away from that and get a Honda made in Japan if you could on some other machine.

Buy a good used commercial one or put the 1000.oo down and finance a commercial splitter IMOHO. I think ,i have not checked but them husky motors and all the other stuff is made in China I would try to stay away from that and get a Honda made in Japan if you could on some other machine.

My Huskee splitter has a Brigg's and Stratton engine and say's made in USA on the engine. For the average homeowner who split's under 10 cord a year A Huskee or Speeco is a good bargain. When my engine dies I'll do a little fabrication work and put a horizontal shaft honda in it's place.

My biggest gripe with my 22 ton Huskee was the finger guillotine folding leg. I bought a swivel jack with wheel made by Reese for $30 at TSC and it will be going on my splitter this week.

My Huskee splitter has a Brigg's and Stratton engine and say's made in USA on the engine. For the average homeowner who split's under 10 cord a year A Huskee or Speeco is a good bargain. When my engine dies I'll do a little fabrication work and put a horizontal shaft honda in it's place.

My biggest gripe with my 22 ton Huskee was the finger guillotine folding leg. I bought a swivel jack with wheel made by Reese for $30 at TSC and it will be going on my splitter this week.
Arent they made by MTD?

Arent they made by MTD?

I don't believe so.
The Huskee splitters are made for TSC by Speeco.
I'm relatively certain that Speeco is an independent company.

I know I was wishing I had a video camera just a few minutes ago.
I have the 22 ton Huskee and I was splitting a load of Pin Oak trying to beat the rain and cold coming in.
I got into a crotch and the splitter didn't bat an eye. It just shifted into low gear and cut right through a 2 and 1/2 inch limb growing out of a 16" round.
Mine was a little hard to start when it was real cold at first, (had to pump the primer 6-8 times to keep it running) but as it broke in and gained some experience that seems to have gone away.
I couldn't be happier with my splitter.

Mike

Speeco is a division of Blount International along with Oregon, Carlton, and Woods.

I just got a Oregon 28t and I have about 5 cord through it. Its a great value and functions great. But in my opinion you could look for a clapped out one and fix it up and save some money.

Ok this thing is a total pos they have went way down in quality last few years. The wind chill here was supposedly 18 below yesterday and temp like 0-1 thing wouldn't even try to start. Had orders to fill have been working past 25 days non stop even Christmas I split dump loads by hand. Today splitter would run 15 mins die start run 5 die start run 5 die.......I just split by hand and let my helpers play with it. If I was a homeowner I would just buy a mull in all honesty. you can split waaaayyyyy faster. Taking an hour off tomorrow to return this thing and get another as I have a 3 year warranty and so far the auto return don't work (first log). splitter is super whimpy in some logs and jut dies out. hopefully the new one atleast runs and the auto return works.

Heres a picture of one of the dump loads I split with a mull that's was given to me free. Took under an hour to split one of those loads little over a cord of wood in one.

Attachments

• arb.jpg
    arb.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 50
If it doesn't work right then you need to take it back. Yes it is an inexpensive splitter and yes they cut corners on some of the parts. That is how they can sell them for 1K. It should still function as intended.

Quit complaining that it is a POS and do something about it. Take it back or get it fixed, before you run out of warranty.

Reading the title of this thread, I thought, wow, that's strong. I bought my Huskee used from a fellow that used it 2 years. I've had it for 3 years now and it's not given me problems to the extent I could call it "junk". I'm sorta accommodating. If it's too cold for the splitter to run, then it's too cold for me to be busting my cold, frozen fingers. I can cut what I want to split and let it sit by the splitter till "splitting time". I just don't get all that upset about it. In the end I get everything cut, split and stacked just fine. I burn about 5 cords a year in the fireplace. So what I have may be junk, but I don't know it yet. I guess I'm just a slow learner.

The difference in me and the rest of you folks is, I hate cold weather. I'd much rather fight ticks and sweat than frozen fingers and toes. To each his own, but my splitter is doing just fine. And all for $750.

As I suggested several posts ago-take it back-you have a rare problem child there. That can happen with any equipment from any manufacturer, does not mean they are all junk.

Ok this thing is a total pos they have went way down in quality last few years. The wind chill here was supposedly 18 below yesterday and temp like 0-1 thing wouldn't even try to start. Had orders to fill have been working past 25 days non stop even Christmas I split dump loads by hand. Today splitter would run 15 mins die start run 5 die start run 5 die.......I just split by hand and let my helpers play with it. If I was a homeowner I would just buy a mull in all honesty. you can split waaaayyyyy faster. Taking an hour off tomorrow to return this thing and get another as I have a 3 year warranty and so far the auto return don't work (first log). splitter is super whimpy in some logs and jut dies out. hopefully the new one atleast runs and the auto return works.

Heres a picture of one of the dump loads I split with a mull that's was given to me free. Took under an hour to split one of those loads little over a cord of wood in one.

Are you running synthetic oil such as 0w30?
Same with putting iso-heet in the fuel?
Have you gone with a lighter fluid for the hydraulics?

We have run ours in colder temp with little problem.
Put 0w20 oil in the engine and atf for the hydraulics.
It will sputter when the is water in the fuel and we always put iso-heet in the gas.

I didn't have the time to take it back between wood pickups and hay. I don't drive either. Got it back this morning got a new one so far so good.......uses less gas actually cycles faster and went thru every log so far. Im pleased for now we will see how it holds up but like I said I got the 3 year warranty.

Cord? Maybe a "face cord" in that pile
Well then a 9'3Ft by 7ft with 40in sides dump must only hold a face cord heaped.

I dont know all the particulars of the firewood operation the OP is doing and I am Not trying to start and argument or be a smartass but,

I just cant see the need to buy a new splitter year after year. Especially if I was doing commercial firewood sales. Just seems counter productive. If i had a old splitter and had happly used it for several years and now it didnt seem to be up to the job, I would just fix what ever is wrong with it and save a ton of money. I know you cant build a splitter like mine, using all new parts, for $1000 or less. In fact a new 25hp Kholer engine would cost close to $2000, but with the large mountains of old rider mower sitting in junk yards, a person should be able to source a a high Hp motor pretty reasonable. And unless everything you need to split is 24in or longer in lengths, Plenty of equipment still around you can source a decent splitting cylinder, as well as some scrap metal. I guess what I am saying is, if you dont like what you are buying, stop buying it. Build what you need and get the job done. I got tired of the homeowner machines (I always rented) and build my own. If you cant do the fabrication, a decent welder should be able to fab it up for you pretty reasonable. You just need to be realistic in expectations and be willing to take the time to source the parts and materials needed to build what you want. Yes , if you are in shape, you can split a large amount of wood in a short period of time, maybe even out split a hydraulic splitter for the first hour or two, but take 2 piles of similar wood and you split with your maul and I with my splitter, and we'll see who has split the most wood at the end of the day. I may be different than most, but I just dont think i would even consider a firewood business with a homeowner model splitter. May use a homeowner model to make a few bucks on the side, but never as a stand alone, income producing business.

My 25 ton Speeco with the 10.5hp Briggs has been a great splitter for me. The only problem was a rodent chewed a hole in the plastic fuel tank. I never use alcohol in the fuel and take measures to never have water there either. The neighbor uses the stuff in his fuel and it keeps me busy working on his equipment. If you have alcohol in your fuel, it is always trying to absorb more water...that's what it does.

Now, on the issue of running a splitter at a low RPM. I do it ONLY when it is clean up time and I am running the ram back and forth to clear debris. If you split at a low throttle setting, the engine still goes to WOT as soon as the governer senses the load. So, the engine is struggling at a low speed and is still at WOT. That is like pulling a load up a hill with your truck and never shifting down to raise the rpm's up. That is called lugging the engine.

It would only be like 100 difference between what I paid and sold it for. People pay crazy prices for used splitters here. I would buy them on sale. I have a homemade one for a 3pt hitch. I plan on keeping this one tho got the 3 year warranty so far they replaced the first one no questions asked. Had a speedco 2 second cycle time splitter 2 years ago it broke so much and had the extended warranty they just gave a full refund after a year.

Back