New Huskee splitter problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yochujr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I took everyone's advise and went with the 22 ton Huskee weekend before last. I just got a chance to use it this weekend and have been pretty happy with just a couple issues. I noticed the plate that holds the wedge rattles constantly until you're actually splitting. My big problem is the auto return doesn't seem to work. About 80 percent of the time, it will not kick out and stalls the engine. If I catch it in time, I can move the lever to neutral but if not, it will kill the engine. Anyone else have this problem???

Call the 1800 number on splitter, you will get speeco service. They tell you how to adjust it or replace it.

huskee

If you think it rattles now wait till you run it for a while and get a little wear on it. it only gets worse.But ill take the rattle over one that clamps to the beam and you cant let go of the log or it will fall on your foot, those angles hold the log nice. If it is new take it back the valve has an adjustment in it . you shouldnt have to work on something that isnt right when it is new. They used to be really good splitters i have one i bought about 18 years ago and never did anything to it except replace one valve. My other one is about 5 years old and i have either replaced or repaired 90% of the machine. BILL

My big problem is the auto return doesn't seem to work. About 80 percent of the time, it will not kick out and stalls the engine.

Are you running the engine at full throttle? When breaking in the engine you want to vary the speeds a bit, but they really need to run WFO.

Don't worry about the plate rattling. The design is such that the business end of the cylinder kind of "floats" so when nothing is happening there is no load on it and it is free to move around.

If you think it rattles now wait till you run it for a while and get a little wear on it. it only gets worse.But ill take the rattle over one that clamps to the beam and you cant let go of the log or it will fall on your foot, those angles hold the log nice. If it is new take it back the valve has an adjustment in it . you shouldnt have to work on something that isnt right when it is new. They used to be really good splitters i have one i bought about 18 years ago and never did anything to it except replace one valve. My other one is about 5 years old and i have either replaced or repaired 90% of the machine. BILL

Yeah, I figured I would run it a bit more and keep an eye on it. I was hoping it was tight because it was new and would loosen up because I don't have a trailer yet and I got it about 1/2 hour away.

Are you running the engine at full throttle? When breaking in the engine you want to vary the speeds a bit, but they really need to run WFO.

Don't worry about the plate rattling. The design is such that the business end of the cylinder kind of "floats" so when nothing is happening there is no load on it and it is free to move around.

I vary the speed or cut the throttle if I stop for a break but when I'm splitting, I run it wide open. It splits great but I did notice from the beginning, the lever for the valve is extremely tight when moving it by hand.

Call the 1800 number on splitter, you will get speeco service. They tell you how to adjust it or replace it.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. One of the reasons I went with the Huskee was because I heard the Speeco customer service was excellent so hopefully that's true.

Well I called speeco and they said I need to get it in to have the valve replaced. I called the local shop the told me to (about 20 minutes away) and they said there would be a fee for pickup because I don't have a trailer, there is about a 3 week wait that they would need to keep the splitter and they also said they would not order the part until they looked at it even though the Speeco rep said it was the valve and needed replaced. I spent almost a thousand bucks and had to drive a half hour to pick it up, used it once and now i have to go through all of this??? I'm starting to wonder if I should have just went with the Swisher here in town after all......

splitter

The thing that gets me is these guys bragging up their customer service . Yes they take care of most problems, but number one you shouldnt have these problems when you spend that much money on something. Number two you either have to tote it somewear or do the work yourself. I have better things to do with my time that is why you buy it in the first place. That is the only splitter that you constantly hear of problems with they have had a lot of problems with the valves so why not put better valves on them to start with? I would give it back to tsc. There are a lot of better splitters out there for just a little more money. Hope it works out for you. BILL

Call the guy back and see if they'll just send you a new valve, explain to them, if they don't want to work with you on this you'll just take it back for a refund, and buy something else.

That valve isn't that hard to change.

Well I called speeco and they said I need to get it in to have the valve replaced. I called the local shop the told me to (about 20 minutes away) and they said there would be a fee for pickup because I don't have a trailer, there is about a 3 week wait that they would need to keep the splitter and they also said they would not order the part until they looked at it even though the Speeco rep said it was the valve and needed replaced. I spent almost a thousand bucks and had to drive a half hour to pick it up, used it once and now i have to go through all of this??? I'm starting to wonder if I should have just went with the Swisher here in town after all......

That blows, pack the POS up and return it, get your money.

Last edited:
That blows, pack the POS up and return it, get your money.

Particularly if you are dealing with a known "issue". So are they going to send you another faulty valve from the same lot of faulty valves you are dealing with now? No thanks -- return for refund and move on.

Your next thread should be a picture of you with another splitter up to your knees in split wood with @#$% eating grin on your face. That is the experience I would be going for.

Particularly if you are dealing with a known "issue". So are they going to send you another faulty valve from the same lot of faulty valves you are dealing with now? No thanks -- return for refund and move on.

Your next thread should be a picture of you with another splitter up to your knees in split wood with @#$% eating grin on your face. That is the experience I would be going for.

I called them back earlier and told them that about not having a great way to get it to the shop and then they would have it a min of 3 weeks and the guy said ther's nothing he could do about it. I expressed that the thing was brand new and it's obviousy a manufacturers defect since it did it since it was new and he said sorry but there's nothing else he could do. I also did some more research about valve issues and checked and mine has a speeco valve rather than an energy valve which I hear is better. Either way, I'm hoping one of their reps will see this at some point and help me out. I agree I should take it back for a refund but I would rather have it fixed and move one rather than go through the hassle all over again. I'm even willing to fix t myself to minimize downtime if I could get the part. I don't think that's too much to ask on something that's brand new!

Are you talking to the TSC people or directly to Speeco? I would think Speeco would be more accomodating.

I have heard that TSC wassometimes difficult to get help from but my experiences with Speeco have been Great!

I'd get a refund on the pos. I've got two splitters a Troy-Bilt and a Swisher.
The swisher is twice the splitter that the TB is. Both have been very good overall, the TB has split over 300 cord in its life, blew the Honda engine and they had a new one on in about three or four days no questions ask under warranty. Now the 2nd stage in the pump isn't working but it is well out of warranty and is used commercially anyway. If I couldn't get better customer service than what you have with a 1000.00 plus purchase I'd be looking somewhere else for a splitter, take it back and get the swisher.

Are you talking to the TSC people or directly to Speeco? I would think Speeco would be more accomodating.

I have heard that TSC wassometimes difficult to get help from but my experiences with Speeco have been Great!

I've talked directly to Speeco reps twice today. After all of the great reviews and things had to say about their customer service, I would have thought they would be better as well......

This is why I purchased a Brave splitter from my local dealer. It cost a little more than the TSC splitter, but I knew if I had any problems he would take care of them asap.

Those look like a well built machine i just had to clean a carb on one it was built much better than the huskey i noticed a lot of small things that were done better the only thing i didnt like was having to keep ahold of the log to keep it from falling off BILL

Call and ask the factory to send the part directly to you. Then, they can send you a return pickup tag, or whatever it is called, so you can send them the old part by UPS at their expense, not your's.
If they will not do that, take it back now, before a bigger problem shows up.
I am glad you posted about this. I was about to buy a Huskee/Speeco from Tractor Supply. I think I will pass, and look at some other options.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back