New Huskee splitter problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call and ask the factory to send the part directly to you. Then, they can send you a return pickup tag, or whatever it is called, so you can send them the old part by UPS at their expense, not your's.
If they will not do that, take it back now, before a bigger problem shows up.
I am glad you posted about this. I was about to buy a Huskee/Speeco from Tractor Supply. I think I will pass, and look at some other options.
Jeff

I'm hoping this is just an isolated event. I was hoping someone on here would tell me that it's just tight because it's new and needs to be broken in. I'm going to use it some more this weekend and see if it improves and if not, just not rely on the auto release. I can't send it in to the shop for 3 weeks right now. I have heard so many great reviews on this splitter and it seems like everyone has said this is the one to buy so I'm hoping things will turn around and I can get some use out of it.

The manual doesn't specify how to adjust the valve due to liability reasons I'm sure. If you don't do it just right the pressures can blow a hose or fitting and potentially cause injury. Replacing the valve is easy if you are mildly mechanically oriented.

I would guess that if you talk with Kevin at Speeco he will go out of his way to take care of your issue. He has been more than accomodating for me and has gone above and beyond what I would have expected.

In an ideal situation would you or I have any issues with a new machine? Probably not. But let's get real - when was the last time someone you know bought a new car and didn't have some issue with it? It's a fact of life. The proof is how the Mfg. handles it and I can only express my personal experince which has been nothing short of impressive with Kevin and Speeco.

My splitter kicks butt and I'd put it up against my neighbors Brave splitter any day.

The manual doesn't specify how to adjust the valve due to liability reasons I'm sure. If you don't do it just right the pressures can blow a hose or fitting and potentially cause injury. Replacing the valve is easy if you are mildly mechanically oriented.

I would guess that if you talk with Kevin at Speeco he will go out of his way to take care of your issue. He has been more than accomodating for me and has gone above and beyond what I would have expected.

In an ideal situation would you or I have any issues with a new machine? Probably not. But let's get real - when was the last time someone you know bought a new car and didn't have some issue with it? It's a fact of life. The proof is how the Mfg. handles it and I can only express my personal experince which has been nothing short of impressive with Kevin and Speeco.

My splitter kicks butt and I'd put it up against my neighbors Brave splitter any day.

Can you tell me how to get in touch with Kevin? Maybe he can help me out.

Can you tell me how to get in touch with Kevin? Maybe he can help me out.

He posts on this forum under the handle of KGreer. Search for that user name and I believe his direct phone # is there. His email is [email protected]

Great guy, very helpful. I'm sure he will do everything he can to help you out.

let us know, I was going to buy one at farm&fleet and take it 300 miles to my cabin, returns for warranty work are not an option...

Thanks for Kevin's contact info and I want to give another big +1 for the guy. He was great to talk to and assured me that one way or another the problem will be taken care of. I appreciate the input from everyone on here and will let you know the "culprit".

I'm hoping this is just an isolated event. I was hoping someone on here would tell me that it's just tight because it's new and needs to be broken in. I'm going to use it some more this weekend and see if it improves and if not, just not rely on the auto release. I can't send it in to the shop for 3 weeks right now. I have heard so many great reviews on this splitter and it seems like everyone has said this is the one to buy so I'm hoping things will turn around and I can get some use out of it.

I had a similiar issue, was hoping to get it resolved without dealing with a repair facility, did not get that type of help, so I ended up taking it back to TSC and getting another one. KD

Thanks for Kevin's contact info and I want to give another big +1 for the guy. He was great to talk to and assured me that one way or another the problem will be taken care of. I appreciate the input from everyone on here and will let you know the "culprit".

I'm glad you got in touch with Kevin, as I knew Speeco wouldn't leave you hanging.

I don't mean to badmouth TSC in any way shape or form, but if you are considering a Huskee brand splitter, look into getting a true Speeco branded splitter. There are many stories on here about incorrect assembly and after-purchase customer service issues that are beyond Speeco's control and these should not reflect on Speeco.

Buying a Speeco branded product will eliminate having to deal with anyone other than the manufacurer. These guys RockK! :rockn: :rockn:

I'm glad you got in touch with Kevin, as I knew Speeco wouldn't leave you hanging.

I don't mean to badmouth TSC in any way shape or form, but if you are considering a Huskee brand splitter, look into getting a true Speeco branded splitter. There are many stories on here about incorrect assembly and after-purchase customer service issues that are beyond Speeco's control and these should not reflect on Speeco.

Buying a Speeco branded product will eliminate having to deal with anyone other than the manufacurer. These guys RockK! :rockn: :rockn:

I looked into trying to get a Speeco brand but there were no dealers in my area. Heck, just to go to TSC was nearly 40 minutes for me but I do agree, somewhat. Either way, I'm glad I have a new valve on the way and hopefully that solves the issue.

Let me start by saying I have a 22 ton huskee the is nearly 6 years old ,it has caused me no grief at all, and has split 50 cords plus.
I have recommended this splitter repeatedly, but lately a lot people have been reporting valve issues just like yours not kicking out on the return.
I know TSC does some assembly and adds the fluids so I assume they start and cycle them. That said somebody at TSC knew that unit sold to you was not returning to neutral on the return stroke or did not know any better. Whether TSC has the skill set in house to do anything about it is another issue.
The saving grace in all this has been Speeco's johnny on the spot customer service so if that slacks off they are the same as NT or MTD in my opinion.
They need to get that valve issue solved.
Once you replace the valve on yours I hope it treats you as good as mine has for a good long time.

Let me start by saying I have a 22 ton huskee the is nearly 6 years old ,it has caused me no grief at all, and has split 50 cords plus.
I have recommended this splitter repeatedly, but lately a lot people have been reporting valve issues just like yours not kicking out on the return.
I know TSC does some assembly and adds the fluids so I assume they start and cycle them. That said somebody at TSC knew that unit sold to you was not returning to neutral on the return stroke or did not know any better. Whether TSC has the skill set in house to do anything about it is another issue.
The saving grace in all this has been Speeco's johnny on the spot customer service so if that slacks off they are the same as NT or MTD in my opinion.
They need to get that valve issue solved.
Once you replace the valve on yours I hope it treats you as good as mine has for a good long time.

I appreciate the post. I couldn't agree more about the service. Once I got a hold of the right guy, I couldn't be happier.
As for TSC, my best friend worked there for a couple years and said the older gentleman has been putting their equipment together for years and new his stuff. The only thing I can guess, is that they were either put together quickly because they are selling them so quick or it's just a faulty valve from the factory, which happens. Unfortunately, I'm blessed with great luck so it always happens to me!! When I went in there, they were out of the 22 tons but said they ad 3 more on a truck coming that Friday. When I called Friday, they were not even unpacked and one was sold in addition to mine so they are moving out the door pretty quick. That's gotta say something about their reputation. I'm sure once it's fixed, we can have several happy years together! Thanks again to everyone on here. I'd be lost without this great forum.

i may be wrong on this but from what i saw they only put the tounge on and wheels, coupler etc. what i saw unloaded was 90% assembled BILL

I appreciate the post. I couldn't agree more about the service. Once I got a hold of the right guy, I couldn't be happier.
As for TSC, my best friend worked there for a couple years and said the older gentleman has been putting their equipment together for years and new his stuff. The only thing I can guess, is that they were either put together quickly because they are selling them so quick or it's just a faulty valve from the factory, which happens. Unfortunately, I'm blessed with great luck so it always happens to me!! When I went in there, they were out of the 22 tons but said they ad 3 more on a truck coming that Friday. When I called Friday, they were not even unpacked and one was sold in addition to mine so they are moving out the door pretty quick. That's gotta say something about their reputation. I'm sure once it's fixed, we can have several happy years together! Thanks again to everyone on here. I'd be lost without this great forum.

Did the faulty valve say "SPEECO" on it?????

Did the faulty valve say "SPEECO" on it?????

H-m-m. My Speeco 25T has an Energy valve on it. I guess that's one more in the plus column for the 25 over the 22. I paid around $150 over the best price I could've got at TSC after taxes for my 25 ton, but got a bigger pump (16gph vs. 11gph), a bigger cylinder, Energy valve, bigger engine with horizontal shaft (10hp v 5hp), faster cycle time, better engine layout (opposite the operator), stronger trailer tongue with a handle and a stronger "kick-stand".

Energy Mfg. sells valves to Special Products, SPEECO who build Huskee brand splitters. Our valves have cast in the valve body between the two work ports "ENERGY" and it is stamped on the end of the detent spring cover. Anything other than that including SPEECO is not an Energy valve and most probably is made in China. China produces a knock off of our valve. If the valve said ENERGY on it, I could help you. The other valve's parts are not interchangable with ours. This applies to many other brands of log splitters as well. Just so you know.
God Bless the USA.
Steve Hansen
Applications Engineer
Energy Manufacturing Co., Inc.
(319)-465-3537 X-402
(319)-465-5279 FAX
[email protected]

Any Updates?? We would like to hear how things worked out for you. New valve installed? Everything's good? Still the same issues? Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Any Updates?? We would like to hear how things worked out for you. New valve installed? Everything's good? Still the same issues? Enquiring minds want to know!!!
Well, after about a week I followed up with speeco to see if the valve had shipped yet and it hadn't. They said they have been out of stock. Imwent ahead and asked for the energy energy valve because inheard they were better. They said the failure rate between the speeco valve and energy valve were about the same. He agreed to go ahead and send me the energy valve. I got it in yesterday and hope to get it changed out this weekend after I drive a half hour to get more hyd fluid. I want to go ahead and make sure I top it off with the same as what was originally put in. Hopefully that will take care of it and I will post another update once it's done

Latest posts

Back