New Job maybe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeWhitelock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was recently offered a job in IL and was really curious how the tree care industry was out there? Are there true Tree Care companies or just a bunch of cut-throat mom n pop Tree services, thats what is here in East Coast, Md and was lookin for something better.

Maryland has a lot of good tree companies, unfortunately on the eastern shore there are more butchers than arborists. Between Baltimore and DC there are a number of reputable companies. Bartlett has a few offices. Carroll Tree and A and A are pretty good. Richards, Ballards, and Arborquest serve the Annapolis area and they do pretty good work. Thats just to name a few that I have come across. I believe Davey is doing alot of work on the eastern shore now and they also have an office out of western baltimore county.

It really depends on what you are trying to get into and what you are trying to avoid. If you are looking for IPM, going with someone large like Bartlett or Davey is the absolute way to go in order to get your feet wet. They also tend to offer more in the way of young tree pruning. You also need to decide how important "safety is." Very few companies enforce mandatory hard hats, chaps, safety eye wear that is required by ANSI. The big boys and the really "forward" companies tend to enforce those rules, whether its because of liability or the reputation of safety, is for you to decide.

People will bash the larger tree companies for any number of reasons, but at the end of the day, you're opportunity for advancement is obviously much greater with them then with a small company. Anyone who says this isn't true is basically uninformed as there is only so much room for growth when a single office is involved and someone owns the company and is also doing the work and not focused on the actual business of selling work, marketing, billing, etc.

You really need to decide if you are an arborist or a tree guy, after you make that decision you can start to look at different tree companies and select one that is a good fit for you.

Here are a few things you may want to ask of your potential employer

Do you offer a full range of tree care? Removals, pruning, IPM, fertilization, air spading, stump grinding
What type of equipment are you using? Trucks (bucket vs chip body) Wood handling equipment, stump grinders, air compressors, spider lifts, sprayers
What type of safety and PPE standards do you practice?
What opportunities do they offer for advancement?
What is their drug and alcohol policy?
Does the company offer benefits? Health, dental, vision, 401K

Last edited:
Definitely an arborist! i love climbing trees an all aspects of TREE CARE not TREE SERVICE. but with davey and bartlett it's a little too scientific but i enjoy what they do with the study trees. Yes safety is a big part of how i like to work. i do alot of training through North American Training Solutions and am scheduled for the isa certified arborist exam in March. Yes i agree there is definitely room to grow in a bigger company.

It is a tree service on the east bound side of 50 just west of salisbury i think. Its a little house just off the hwy tucked backed in the woods abit.My cousin that lives in bishopville has a small woodworking shop/mill told me about it

In the Chicagoland area you have your choice of Davey, Bartlet, or the care of trees, however, I believe they were bought by Davey. And slayer, what the heck are you talking about? Have you even looked in the phone book since you got here? Crystal Lake has a population of under 40k, and there are over 70 companies advertiesed. That doesnt even include all the off duty Ahslpund guys, or the cash raiding mexi's. Half the houses out here dont even have trees.

Rydnruff, I'm looking to buy some equipment to get my side business growing so maybe I can one day get my own business started up. I'm up in Baltimore but would definitely be interested in hooking up to check out the stuff. Looking for a chipper, maybe some bigger ground saws, and rigging gear. I've got some stuff but could always use more. PM me and maybe I can get a number or address.

In the Chicagoland area you have your choice of Davey, Bartlet, or the care of trees, however, I believe they were bought by Davey. And slayer, what the heck are you talking about? Have you even looked in the phone book since you got here? Crystal Lake has a population of under 40k, and there are over 70 companies advertiesed. That doesnt even include all the off duty Ahslpund guys, or the cash raiding mexi's. Half the houses out here dont even have trees.

Yeah those are good companies and have had interviews with all. And they all say the same stuff. Talk about how great they are, #1 this and #1 that. I think they just too big and you get lost in the mix. What they that others dont is benefits and company sharing, but all that isnt important as doin good work and actually know what im talkin about. Davey And Bartlett have all these biologist and phds in a office somewhere and they want you to take pics and send soil samples before you can even work on a job. Dont get me wrong that is nice stuff to have access to!! But its just too scientific. someone here has a signature that say "there is nothin more uncommon than common sense." i will
second that

Davey And Bartlett have all these biologist and phds in a office somewhere and they want you to take pics and send soil samples before you can even work on a job. Dont get me wrong that is nice stuff to have access to!! But its just too scientific.

That is where all the money is hotrod.

FWIW, "all the scientific stuff" is why we don't top trees. Why we prune young trees the way we do so they become quality trees in the future. Its why IPM is such a money making enterprise for those that do it.

I agree with not toppin trees. its the worse thing you can do. And all the mexicans and others everyone talks about is the reason no one cares about climber, arborist in general thats why the ipm is so great because to spray or fertilize trees usually need a cetificate or paperwork that solidifys they know what they are doing. It would just be nice if smaller to medium size companies cared about TREE CARE not TREE SERVICE like the larger companies but with a personal employer, employee relationship. not just given an employee #.

I agree with not toppin trees. its the worse thing you can do. And all the mexicans and others everyone talks about is the reason no one cares about climber, arborist in general thats why the ipm is so great because to spray or fertilize trees usually need a cetificate or paperwork that solidifys they know what they are doing. It would just be nice if smaller to medium size companies cared about TREE CARE not TREE SERVICE like the larger companies but with a personal employer, employee relationship. not just given an employee #.

this and your post, # 12 on this thread, I agree with %100. I grew up the son of an entire regions top tree co. Came of age knowing more than anyone in the area and totally lost faith in the industry after watching hack after hack under bid it to death, and the big boys, (mostly "the care of" ) use BS sales tactics to do the same bad work , (depending on the situation, I. E. , "You can save that rotten p.o.s. thats gonna fall in 2 months if you spend $1000.00 bucks in cables and brace rods." ) cuz they are pretty sure there comin back for the removal 4 months after the sale of the other. We owned the gold coast. We did Lake Forest's heavy removals for 29 years, almost consecutive.

Back