New member, old equipment- Poulan 2300AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodlandcammies

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good afternoon gents,
Ive got an old poulan 2300AV chainsaw, was passed down from my dad (after I rebuilt the fuel lines, carb, tune up etc)
Thing is- it runs like a champ. Does anyone know when these saws were made? Ive used poulan before and they were usually cheaply made, and didn't run worth a flip, but this one is solid. Feels like a magnesium case, and starts after a couple pulls..
So any ideas when these things were introduced? And how reliable were they?
Thanks!
Mike

Good afternoon gents,
Ive got an old poulan 2300AV chainsaw, was passed down from my dad (after I rebuilt the fuel lines, carb, tune up etc)
Thing is- it runs like a champ. Does anyone know when these saws were made? Ive used poulan before and they were usually cheaply made, and didn't run worth a flip, but this one is solid. Feels like a magnesium case, and starts after a couple pulls..
So any ideas when these things were introduced? And how reliable were they?
Thanks!
Mike
got any pics? I believe either late 70 or early 80's

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I don't have any with me, Ill snag some tomorrow when I get off duty (Navy)
I know its older, I remember dad using that old thing back when I was a kid (Im 36 now) but the fact that it still runs like it does either means they built the old ones like a tank, or dad babied that thing

I had a 3400 and it was a good saw.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Like this?
f08f54092f1fee8fef403170722265b9.jpg

37cc of reed valve snort.

Note: Burp pressure from the oil tank after running. Sometimes they like to fill the crankcase with bar oil.[emoji37]

The other handle, the one your right hand holds, it that one plastic. The ones with a cover over the muffler, part of the case, is also plastic. Those are good saws. All of Poulan top handle saws were built well, got three from different year vintage. Oldest is all metal case, 2300 av front handle made in 1984 I bought new. Newest is from 2000, it's a 2000 with plastic clutch cover and a shield over the muffler. Yes they are loud but great trim saws with a real chain. Dont like the home own chains, cut too slow.

Steve

Does anyone have an extra bar oil fill plug for one of these chainsaws? One of the tabs on mine broke years ago and I have to use pliers to unscrew the plug. I've looked around and haven't found a replacement plug yet

Yeah I know its not a powersharp, but I was thinking about getting a new bar and chain for the old girl, and was looking at the powersharp. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to differences in chains, haven't had much real world experience outside of what came on this one, and the couple stihls and huskys that are in the family garage. She may not be the prom queen but dang if she doesn't get the job done when you need it.

Wow, that looks familiar hahah. Glad to know that people have had good luck with this saw, and I wasnt the only one who still used them on a regular basis.

Just got done rebuilding the carb and replacing the plastic carb adapter on this old girl a minute ago. Had to back the low screw out 2 turns for idle and the high I never finished adjusting before the rain came. Two pulls with the new carb and she sputtered once then had to play with her to get her to stay idling. I will say the fuel line replacement on this thing is a pain. The vent line was easy as it was a grommet fitting into the tank but the feed line sucked!!!! Didn't run her long enough to test the oiling system but the piston had absolutely no scorning or wear and the top of the piston had very little carbon build up. Might wind up keeping her as a back up saw for the 2300av if the neighbor wants to get rid of it.image.jpg

Back