New MS 180 ran good for 5 minutes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grateful11

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked up new MS 180 this morning and got around to using this afternoon. The wife and I headed for the back pasture and fired it up and cut about 6 pieces of Oak about 6-7" in dia. of a tree that went down in the spring in a storm. It zipped right through them and thought man this thing cuts pretty good for a little saw. Then all of a sudden it wouldn't rev past half throttle, it would bog like it wasn't getting gas, in or out of the wood. It idles fine. Man I was pi$$ed. They fueled it up at the dealer and started and made sure it was ok and oiling good. I thinking maybe something has clogged a jet on the carb. I've bought 3 or 4 saws from this dealer over the years and I hope he can make things right. I've never had to take one in for service. I bought it mainly for my wife as she wanted something she could use occasionally. She says she's asking for a new saw. Does Stihl have some sort of a 7 day return deal? It would be great for me too as my back went out over 2 years ago and I had to sell all my bigger stuff. I'm just getting back to a point where I feel I can cut some firewood and stuff.

Yes, they do.

Are you sure it's not something stupid like the bar tip is clogged or something? I assume it has bar oil.... and the brake is off.

Try it without the chain/bar on etc...

Just take it back to the dealer and tell them what happened.

I had a problem when I was breaking in my dad's 361 - not oiling enough. So I took it in and they retuned it and increased the oiler output free of charge.

Might just be something minor.

My dad also got a 180C about 3 weeks ago - so keep us posted!

Thats a tough one. I think I would be in the same boat as you thinking, "just give me a new saw." Im sure they wont want to but what if you bought a new car and it died on the way home. You can bet your ass I would either be getting my money back or getting a brand new car. There could be a simple solution to the problem but it still gets you off on the wrong foot. There has to be a return policy of some kind.

The bar oil was almost full so I topped it off before taking it out. I wouldn't think the nose sprocket would clog after 5 minutes but I guess it's possible. The brake was definitely off as it would rev, chain moving, up to about half throttle and then just start dying down. I didn't think you could adjust the oiler on these little saws.

The oiler isn't adjustable on the smaller Stihl saws. Neither is the low or high speed jets on the new 170/180's. Sounds like the fixed high speed jet is plugged.

Check and make sure the fuel filter didn't fall off, HT131's have had a lot of improperly installed fuel filters recently, it might be carrying over to the saws now.

I bought my wife a little 180 about 2+yrs ago. We've had very good luck with it over all. It's a great little saw, I even like to run it cause it's fun and super small and light. The only problem we ever had was with the monolever, but that's because the whole squeezing the trigger thing with the lever takes some getting used to... All in all, she loves it and so do I. Sorry to hear for your misfortune though. If they don't take it back you'll be in the same boat as what I went through with husky. That's why I'll never buy another husky from a dealer period. Instead, thats why my last 3 have been Dolmar's. I would say as long as your happy with your dealer and your wife is using the 180 occasionally, it should last you many years. The dude LIKES the little 180... hehehehehehehe

:cheers: eh?

Sounds like an oiler (not adjustable) issue.. take the chain off - just to try it. Then see if oil comes out of the hole above the bar stud when you rev it up.

Oilers are not tested at the factory on every saw - that would require filling them with oil - but new failure is rare.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your 180's problems, has your dealer refused to help yah? Probably not...take it back and get it checked out. My little 180 runs like a champ! Light weight and great for the small stuff.

Question??

Does it make a bogging sound when you try and rev it though???

:confused: :popcorn:

Sorry to hear about your 180's problems, has your dealer refused to help yah? Probably not...take it back and get it checked out. My little 180 runs like a champ! Light weight and great for the small stuff.

I just picked it up this morning and by the time we fed the cows, changed the oil in 2 vehicles and worked on the manure spreader it was after 12 noon and he was closed for the day. I didn't get to try the saw until about 2:30 this afternoon.

This may not be the problem here. But, a while ago we sold a MS 170 to a customer. A day later the guy brought it back complaining it would start very hard and would not rev/accelerate very well. We fiddle farted around with it couldn't get it to go. Went through the Stihl engine check sheet, and found they forgot to install the piston ring retaining pins on to the piston. The piston rings rotated and caught the exhaust port and shattered. Cylinder was fine, looked like new. The piston sustained a considerable amount of damage. We gave the customer a different MS 170, to make up for the original saw having a manufacturing defect.

Nick G.

Does it make a bogging sound when you try and rev it though???

:confused: :popcorn:

Like I said it will rev up to about half throttle and then just start dying off, bogging down. It doesn't act like it's binging up like a dry bar, I've felt that many times in the past.

I think the dealer will work with me, I've spent close too $1500 on saws and blowers and stuff from him in the past.

Right. I was just commenting on COLD_IRON's situation...

Considering I was running the first tank of fuel thru the saw and I didn't have to pay for it, why not let the dealer do it?

Besides - if it blows up I sure didn't do it :)

I was told by the dealer (not sure on this one) that adjusting the oiler is a little more than adjusting a screw. That true or not?

Last edited:
yep

Like I said it will rev up to about half throttle and then just start dying off, bogging down. It doesn't act like it's binging up like a dry bar, I've felt that many times in the past.

I think the dealer will work with me, I've spent close too $1500 on saws and blowers and stuff from him in the past.

Yea dude, you know when it's bogging, that's more of what happens when the oiler isn't functioning properly. YOu can hold the throttle wide open, but it bogs and smokes... Sounds like when you hold the throttle it only revs about 1/2 way then dies.?.?. That being said, I've had a couple friends who have gotten saws and there was some plastic pieces in the gas lines that boogered up the carb so it wasn't functioning properly. Could be the same situation. Hope it works out for you bro... I'm sure you've got a great dealer there that will make things right.

:cheers: eh?

Just bring it back to your dealer. I see you are from central NC, that's where we are, down in Asheboro. If you need us we'll be glad to help. Tony

Back