New MS440 or MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChevyXP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I was going to buy a Husqvarna 372XP but then decide to go with a new Stihl. I went to the Stihl dealer today and saw a brand new MS440 :msp_biggrin: So I got a price on it and the MS460 and its only a $40 difference. Now I'm just undecided on what one I want. I really like the MS440 but was wondering if they are as reliable as the 460 and if they have a different name brand cylinder than the 460.

MS460-$880
MS440-$840

MS460 for sure..!! (of the two you mentioned)

Next best..441 C-M

I wouldn't even consider the MS440 as it's sooo waaay over priced..imho..!!
:cheers:
J2F

The 440 is my favorite saw that I have. It is my "go to" for just about anything. Unfortunately, I have no experience on a 460. My 440 does everything I ask it too and starts reliably on the second pull everytime. I use a Stihl 25" bar and Stihl full chisel chain. If I was able to own only one saw ..... this would be the saw I would keep.

MS460 for sure..!! (of the two you mentioned)

Next best..441 C-M

I wouldn't even consider the MS440 as it's sooo waaay over priced..imho..!!
:cheers:
J2F
Yah really J2F. It's too bad. The 440 is one beautiful machine. Love to have one, but I can get a 7200 Efco for under $600. Was running my 156 Efco today and the thing is one nice running saw. A new 372 Husky is $799 over here. Tough choice. I'd probably go for the 372 if it was my choice.

I would get the 460. BUT a 441 has better antvibe and so does the husky's.

I have cut all day with my 440. The 460 has almost 10% more displacement. I would take that saw before I worried about anti vibe. Qualifyer.... this is someone who does not cut wood everyday or for a living.

Of the two, the 460 far and away over the 440. The only thing the 440 has is being lighter weight. I like/dislike my 440. The 460 is one good saw. And better vibs, somehow. ??

Taking your thoughts further a 441C is a great choice in this range. Better everything. Weight is the only negative most have to complain about, and that is only against the 440. The 460 is about the same.

Try a 441C, you probably won't look back.....and if you do, PM me, I'm sure I can get you out of it. How about that for a floor under you? How many would offer that?

Either way, a new saw is a new saw, great experience just un-boxing the thing! Enjoy.

I work part time fo a tree service. The main falling saw is a 460. Let me tell you they can drop some big trees. We droped some at the 50+ range with one. I have no gripes. Iam impressed. We run a 32 inch sometimes.

Last edited:
saw

i love my mean 440 mag... but for 40 bucks more you might as well get the 460....never know when you might need a little more ass....

My brother and I bought our saws at the same time. Mine is a 441mag and his a 460. In my opinion, a better sharpining job can make up the differance in power. Like someone said earlier, just breaking out a new saw of that quality is a great thing. My 441 has been awsome for 3 years and I havent run across a situation when i said to myself "dang, wish I had of got the 460 instead".

I would go with the 460 I got one a few months ago and I have to say I dont think you will be disappointed!!!! I would spend the extra money and get the full wrap handle.

460 any day! More power and pulls a 32'' bar with no problem. Balances with the longer bars better also. Give it a good MM and let er rip!:rock:

Latest posts

Back