New, my first 2 saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you want to have different saws, you'll need to sell those because it isn't too likely you'll wear them out. Those are two durable models. The 041's are harder to get parts for but I bet you'll put a lot of wood in the pile with them. Welcome to the madness.

I've been searching for availability of parts for both and yeah, 041 parts seem to be harder to find than 038 but they're out there. I just can't seem to find much info on this early 041 except that it was made from 1967 to 1975. All the manuals I've seen are for the AVs and Farm Bosses.

The owners manual on the 038 says 40/1 for fuel oil mix and I thought the 041 was the same, but is the 041 supposed to be a different mix?

The owners manual on the 038 says 40/1 for fuel oil mix and I thought the 041 was the same, but is the 041 supposed to be a different mix?

40:1 is fine, a lot of guys run 50:1 in everything, and some 32:1. Modern mix oils are way better than what saws had in the olden days, so for the most part you can ignore what the owners manuals from then say. I run 40:1 in everything now, after trying the other two ratios.

Thanks guys, that's what I'm going to run in the 038 for sure, I just didn't know about the 041 since it's quite a bit older.

Used both saws this last weekend and both worked awesome, cut a bunch of Red Fir. Only thing is after cutting for a while with the 038 it started bogging down in a cut and then
died. I couldn't get it started, so I pulled the plug and it was wet with fuel. I let it dry out and it started right up again later. I was using 40:1 mix like the manual said, any reason that
the plug would get wet with fuel during operation of the saw?

Here is a picture from the outing, we had a few saws going:)

20140830_122735.jpg

What size bar on the newer 041. Just make sure all the screws are tight on the 041,espacily the muffler and intake/carb screws. Did you figure out the problem on the 038? What carb is on it?

What size bar on the newer 041. Just make sure all the screws are tight on the 041,espacily the muffler and intake/carb screws. Did you figure out the problem on the 038? What carb is on it?
Not sure on the 038, ran awesome til the plug got wet. Dried out and ran good later.

New 041 av has a 28" bar which is probably too long. I will probably sell it and get a 24".

Latest posts

Back