New pictures of "Babe"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott has the best setup I've ever seen for a stump grinding operation. You have to see how he's done the compartments, he clearly thinks too hard.:jawdrop:
A most professional looking rig, to say the least. Oh, yeah, and the Durango barks second gear with little prompting. WHILE pulling the trailer.

And Scott, who made them fine looking ramps?;)

Scott has the best setup I've ever seen for a stump grinding operation. You have to see how he's done the compartments, he clearly thinks too hard.:jawdrop:
A most professional looking rig, to say the least. Oh, yeah, and the Durango barks second gear with little prompting. WHILE pulling the trailer.

And Scott, who made them fine looking ramps?;)

Tiny started them and my local welder guy finished them. (Tiny ran out of time and I had to get home in time for baby.)

DaveK has inspired me to put lights on "Babe" after seeing pictures of "Homer" and I'm working on that right now. I have some headlights from my old Infiniti J30. They are projector beam headlights and I'm spliting them out of the headlight housing and mounting the two high beams on top of the grinder and the 2 low beams are going on the Durango as fog lights.

I had it all weighed today. Heavier then I thought:

12,080 lbs - Durango and trailer/grinder
6,960 lbs - trailer/grinder
5120 - Durango (with me, 200 lbs of tools, and full tank of gas)

Scott,
Those lights may not survive long, as they are not designed to handle the constant shocks and vibration of a stump grinder. I have used rubber mounted tractor/implement lights. They are cheap at Tractor Supply, or other farm supply stores. I think you will get a lot better life out of them, than you would the headlights.
Jeff

Scott,
Those lights may not survive long, as they are not designed to handle the constant shocks and vibration of a stump grinder. I have used rubber mounted tractor/implement lights. They are cheap at Tractor Supply, or other farm supply stores. I think you will get a lot better life out of them, than you would the headlights.
Jeff

I'll keep that in mind. They were free tho and I find myself with a bunch of extra time right now so this project is keeping me busy. If they don't work, I'll use them to make lights for my trailer cause I want to do that also.

That Durango is pretty slick, but what do you do with your stump mulch now that your w/out a pickup?

That Durango is pretty slick, but what do you do with your stump mulch now that your w/out a pickup?

If and when I have to do clean up, the front of the trailer is boxed in and I can carry some mulch under the grinder blade.

I don't get many jobs that require clean up although I do offer it whenever I can to get more money.

If and when I have to do clean up, the front of the trailer is boxed in and I can carry some mulch under the grinder blade.

I don't get many jobs that require clean up although I do offer it whenever I can to get more money.

Your trailer setup leads me to believe that you're a man who's about efficiency. Your trailer setup is indeed impressive. The only thing I don't agree with is the Durango. Why not sell the durango and buy a 3/4 ton with an 8' dump box? I pull my sc252 and mini skid behind my 1-ton dump. When I'm finished grinding a stump, I load the grindings directly into the pickup. Why shovel them back out when you can hoist them out in seconds?

If you look at how much time it takes to shovel in and shovel back out wood grindings -especially when you're doing big stumps - it would pay for you to get a dump. I would never go back to a standard pickup bed or load grindings onto a trailer - been there and done that and the dump is 100% the way to go if you're really wanting to be efficient about it.

Your trailer setup leads me to believe that you're a man who's about efficiency. Your trailer setup is indeed impressive. The only thing I don't agree with is the Durango. Why not sell the durango and buy a 3/4 ton with an 8' dump box? I pull my sc252 and mini skid behind my 1-ton dump. When I'm finished grinding a stump, I load the grindings directly into the pickup. Why shovel them back out when you can hoist them out in seconds?

If you look at how much time it takes to shovel in and shovel back out wood grindings -especially when you're doing big stumps - it would pay for you to get a dump. I would never go back to a standard pickup bed or load grindings onto a trailer - been there and done that and the dump is 100% the way to go if you're really wanting to be efficient about it.

All the stuff you mentioned takes money. None of which I have right now. Also, I really don't do many clean-up jobs.

I do want a skid. I'm thinking more of a ASV RC30 rather than a mini skid but like I said that takes money. I'd have to buy the skid, a larger trailer, a diesel,and a dump bed. I've also thought about just getting a dump trailer and the small skid steer and worst case, I would just have to make 2 trips if I needed to do clean-up.

All the stuff you mentioned takes money. None of which I have right now. Also, I really don't do many clean-up jobs.

I do want a skid. I'm thinking more of a ASV RC30 rather than a mini skid but like I said that takes money. I'd have to buy the skid, a larger trailer, a diesel,and a dump bed. I've also thought about just getting a dump trailer and the small skid steer and worst case, I would just have to make 2 trips if I needed to do clean-up.

If nothing else, I'd still sell the Durango and buy apickup with a dump bed. Even if you pitch the grindings in by hand, at least you wouldn't have to unload them by hand. And itt wouldn't necessarily cost more money if you're selling one to buy another. A dependable 3/4 or 1-ton PU with hoist can easily be found for under $10k. You could put a flatbed and hoist on that ford of yours for $3k easy. Build the sides up with 2x12s, take along a 2x12 ramp and a wheelbarrow and ramp the stuff up into your pickup.

A mini will pay for itself once the cleanup jobs are there to support it. And it sure is easier to offer cleanup to a client knowing that it will only take a few minutes with a mini skid vs an hour with a pitchfork (and your back won't be aching afterwards).

Last edited:
You guys missed a heck of a buy on a trx7015. One of these and a set-up like Scott has is a money maker.

You've still got a chance....

A 2008 7015TRX with 60 hours on it on EBay. No one has bid on it yet, ends in a couple of days. Starting bid is $25K. It's close to you in Florida.

Have fun bidding Bigstumps!

Stumper63

You've still got a chance....

A 2008 7015TRX with 60 hours on it on EBay. No one has bid on it yet, ends in a couple of days. Starting bid is $25K. It's close to you in Florida.

Have fun bidding Bigstumps!

Stumper63

He wants $30k to sell it.

Wish I could put that thing in the shed!
Hopefully someone here will, $30K sounds like a pretty good price for that low of hours and current model year. Don't they want $40K for a new one?

Stumper63

Wish I could put that thing in the shed!
Hopefully someone here will, $30K sounds like a pretty good price for that low of hours and current model year. Don't they want $40K for a new one?

Stumper63

I believe they are $46k new. :jawdrop:

I need some filter numbers for the 7015. Specifically I need the air, oil and fuel filter numbers. Napa numbers would be great. Also is there a discount site to buy the sandvik teeth at? And the hydro filter if it ever got crossed into a napa number.

I need some filter numbers for the 7015. Specifically I need the air, oil and fuel filter numbers. Napa numbers would be great. Also is there a discount site to buy the sandvik teeth at? And the hydro filter if it ever got crossed into a napa number.

I haven't crossed the hydraulic filter yet but I do have the fuel and oil filters in the NAPA. I will look tomorrow and post back.

Which sandvik teeth do you have? Do they look like squares or diamonds? Just take one off and you'll see what I'm talking about. If they are diamond shape, you have to get them from Carlton. If they are the older square shape, I will get you a name of someone that can get them for you. Let me know.

They are square. Thanks for getting the filter numbers. Where do you get the air filters from?

Back