New pictures of "Babe"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are square. Thanks for getting the filter numbers. Where do you get the air filters from?

Haven't had to yet. I was given a few extras when I bought the machine. I did save a page out of the tree trader magazine to a place that sold Carlton and other grinder parts. I'll have to find that page.

Call John, he can get the Sandvik teeth for you. He's a stump grinder in Florida and a Sandvik dealer. Good guy to deal with. 954-735-3830

Scott,

Do you know how much John charges for square Sandvik teeth? New River is Equipment is $11.60 ea. plus shipping.

I wondered if New River was the only Sandvik show in town or not.....

Stumper63

Scott,

Do you know how much John charges for square Sandvik teeth? New River is Equipment is $11.60 ea. plus shipping.

I wondered if New River was the only Sandvik show in town or not.....

Stumper63

Same price but I think he told me that Sandvik just went up to $12 each.

Scott, did you get a chance to get the part numbers for the oil and fuel filters on your machine.

Here's some pictures of the lights I just added.

2008-10-30002.jpg

2008-10-30003.jpg

2008-10-30004.jpg

This side is rock steady. I originally planned to only have it supported from this side but the opposite side was way too wobbly
2008-10-30005.jpg

So I had to make the support for this side. It still wobbles a little on this side and I'm thinking about putting some kind of rubber stopper under this side, resting on the intake manifold. (Like a bathroom door stopper.
2008-10-30007.jpg

2008-10-30008.jpg

I ran 1 10 gauge wire all the way to the control box:
2008-10-30006.jpg

Switch on right turns them on and I plan on putting a small label above the switch.
2008-10-30001.jpg

Seems to be plenty bright. I'll find out if it's bright enuf to grind with someday soon I'm sure as starting Sunday, it'll be dark by 5:15 pm.

Last edited:
That remids me of a stump I was recently called out to grind. A tree had actually grown so big, the homeowner had to cut out the wood siding of his house and frame in around the inside of the stump, to keep his exterior wall intact. I told him that in order to get all the stump I would probably end up cutting out part of his exterior wall. He said to do whatever it took to get all the stump gone. When my cutter wheel hit the wood siding, I had debris going everywhere. I cut one heck of a big hole in his house in no time. Much easier cutting than the stump.
Jeff

Grinding at nite!!

A new market!! Instead of cremation we can grind your loved ones into the soil. Make compost. You have heard of Humus? HA! Now, we have to figure the pricing!

The Sandvik cutting system is the best I have used, low chip spread and still aggresive. I rate it a 10!!!!!

If you are refering to the Sandvik wheel ? then yes if you want good production with the least amount of problems i.e. broken pockets, worn pockets, less debris and safer grinding then yes the Sandvik is the only one until someone comes along with the next best thing ! If you are looking for a conversion kit speak to Dave Mathison at New River Equipment.

Scott,how are you getting on with the lamps you fitted ? I've just fitted two HID's up front after trialing one on the rear of my machine.

how do you like the cutter wheel on the machine?

For some reason, I didn't see your 2 posts on this thread until now.

The sandvik is GREAT!! Like DaveK said, chips are left close to hole, very few objects get launched out of the wheel, (rocks, etc,) great tooth life (I get about 15-20 hours before I have to sharpen/rotate), easy to change even in field, GREAT production, low drag while digging in the dirt. Even if I break one, I can usually still use it on the other side of the wheel.

Scott,how are you getting on with the lamps you fitted ? I've just fitted two HID's up front after trialing one on the rear of my machine.

I mounted them up and have had to change how I've mounted them a couple of times. Nothing like field testing something to see how it will last. I will have to do it one more time as all of my hardware rattled loose. I will be using lock washers and nylon locking nuts on everything this time.

I haven't really had a need for them yet but they are pretty bright. I do want to, at some point, mount a few more. I'm thinking 2 more foward and at least one to see behind the machine.

I just finished a large job for the Mississippi State Hospital Saturday. It took 23.4 hours on the meter and about 30 hours total time. (The rest of the time was driving to the next stump.)

Most of the stumps were about 30" diameter and where cut 2.5' - 3' high. At least 90% where hardwood, mostly oak. There was a couple of sweetgums and a few pine stumps. There was supposed to be 71 stumps but I only found 69. I think the grounds keeper guy miscounted. I even checked them off the map they gave me as I did them.

Here is some pictures of the largest one. It was over 4' in diameter and almost as high as the machine with roots flaring out over probably 8' - 10' at ground level. It took me 1 hour and 31 minutes.

2008-12-17003.jpg

2008-12-17004.jpg

2008-12-17005.jpg

2008-12-17006.jpg

2008-12-17008.jpg

2008-12-17009.jpg

Bid was for grinding 5" below grade with no clean-up. Security provided parking lot space blocking for the ones next to cars. I bid it VERY low as I really wanted the job as I am doing NOTHING right now.

Anyone wanna guess how low VERY low is? Remember, it was 71 30" plus, mostly hardwood stumps scattered out over about 50 acres. The most at any one location was 5 stumps. Then I had to load it back on the trailer and drive to the next stump.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back