New Saw Break in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeMike

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Tonite After I get home from work I'm ordering a brandy new Husqvarna 357xp. I've never had a new saw before and was wondering about breaking it in. I've heard that some people run double oil through the first few tanks. Is this something I should do? I've also heard that its not good to run at half throttle at first. Why?

Hi Mike, I see no problem with running it on a steady diet of 32:1 brand new or broken in. I wouldn't be driving it like you rented it, but I wouldn't baby it either.
Once I was breaking in at 357 with heated handles, so I started and left it on half throttle to run while I went back into the bush to make another hitch.
Anyway, when I came back out the saw was just screaming and the rear handle was melting. I had inadvertently left the heating switch on!
Hahaha
John

John, isn't it a good idea to run dino mix for the first few tanks? Also, what about varying the speed while letting it run no load for the first tank, as your good friend Pwoozel suggested?

So, what am I gonna do with the 346 I'm still gonna have Ed build..along with that the new king of the 3 cubers, the steroidal 5100S? Heck even the one I got from you is long long away from being a skidder chock.....

Gypo Logger said:
Hi Mike, I see no problem with running it on a steady diet of 32:1 brand new or broken in. I wouldn't be driving it like you rented it, but I wouldn't baby it either.
Once I was breaking in at 357 with heated handles, so I started and left it on half throttle to run while I went back into the bush to make another hitch.
Anyway, when I came back out the saw was just screaming and the rear handle was melting. I had inadvertently left the heating switch on!
Hahaha
John

I thought saws took 50/1? I just by the little bottles and pour them into the gas can with 2.5 gallons of super. Guess i never looked to see what the mix ratio was :dizzy:

TreeMike said:
Tonite After I get home from work I'm ordering a brandy new Husqvarna 357xp. I've never had a new saw before and was wondering about breaking it in. I've heard that some people run double oil through the first few tanks. Is this something I should do? I've also heard that its not good to run at half throttle at first. Why?

Oil burns hotter than gas. Use top quality oil, and high octane fuel(92) Husky says 50:1, do it their way. After all they're the ones that engineered and built the thing. Fill it with gas and bar oil, put it to work. Read the manual.

Latest posts

Back