New saw,but I'd rather have my Dad...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got back from South Carolina where we buried my 80-yr-old Dad after a long fight with Parkinson's. He was a radioman flying on B-17 bombers at the end of WWII. He taught us how to farm, hunt and fish. He love the details of nature including things like the color and texture of a rock and the sparkle of dew on a spider web. He never NEVER complained about anything or uttered a disparaging word about anyone his whole life. He was a man among men and those like him from his generation are truly rare and will be sorely missed.

While home, Mom wanted to cut down some hickory nut trees that were encroaching on the house. Dad's saw, a Husky Rancher 50, had been sitting in an outside shed for at least 6-7 years and the chain was rusted to the bar. Luckily, though, he had run the tank dry before storing it so after replacing the chain and cleaning up the bar, it started up and I was able to get the work done. Anyway, Mom wanted me to have the saw, so I brought it home to Utah. Obviously, this little saw will have a large place in my collection. Its the older magnesium case model with the white shroud.

I have both of my dad's saws - an Alpina 0-70 and a Stihl 009. He was carrying the 0-70 (which is a big, heavy saw) around steep valleys at the age of 80, doing a full days work with it. He laid off using it when he cut his leg - not badly, but enough to bleed good and proper. He was more annoyed about ruining a pair of good overalls than any damage to himself. He also fought in WWII - never had much time for ear defenders as he'd damaged his ears firing artillery in France.

Thanks for posting. It is strange thinking about stuff like this while sitting in an office on a rainy afternoon in London... :cheers:

Well,hang on to it as it means something.I have the last new saw my father ever bought which is a PM 610 Mac.The old boy kind of tweeked it a bit as was his nature.That said I get it honestly.

This is a neat topic. Somber no doubt, but neat nonetheless.

I, too have both of my Dad's saws; a Husqvarna Special 50 and a Stihl 08. Both still work fine and the 08 is especially dear to me as Dad used that one in the woods as a logger. He even left me a spare piston/rings as well as a spur sprocket to keep it going. God love him. The Special 50 still works well and I have used it often for light work.

I will never get rid of either.

Fellas,

From yet another son of a WWII veteran.....Dad never owned a chainsaw to leave to me when he departed but I have lots of fond memories and other mementos to remember him by.

Hold on to that Rancher 50 and pass it along....

My Father passed on Father's day this year.A world War II vet.I have a few of his tools of the trade that I cherish.
You see he was a carpenter who raised 5 of us kids.Not an easy task I have found out since I now have a family of my own.He was a quiet hard working man that has more respect from me then I beleive he ever knew.
If I could be half the man he was I will be happy.

Cherish that saw and pass it on.

Last edited:
My dad was a butcher and old school about work to be done : only simple hand tools, and strong hands would take care of any job. He would not dare to touch a scary chainsaw untill I got him a Stihl MS220E this year. he likes it but only will use it when he's tired of using the handsaw.

I am quite the opposite, good tools make your work easier and lighther. It makes me laugh always when he goes : sun, why do you spend so much money on these frickin tools ...:laugh: :laugh:

If I could be half the man he was I will be happy.

My Dad died this year on mothers day (13.05.2007). He was 84 years young and a WWII-Vet. too. A hard working man all the time I knew. He did learn me to work with much hand tools and to work with my first two saws. I miss him.

Good luck with your fathers saw.

Roteiche

A big salute to your dad.

You speaking of your dad reminds me of what Cal Thomas once said about his dad: "To the world he was nothing, to his family he was everything".

RIP old soldier,

Joat

A big salute to your dad.

You speaking of your dad reminds me of what Cal Thomas once said about his dad: "To the world he was nothing, to his family he was everything".

RIP old soldier,

Joat

Thanks Joat,
My folks live in Newberry, not too terribly far from you there in the GSP area.

Sorry to hear about your dad litefoot. I lost my dad 8 years ago and I keep his 024 next to my other saws with fond memories of the days when we would go out and cut firewood. My dad was also a vet (Korean War - Navy) and served as a member of a UDT (Pre-Navy Seals) on board the USS Hornet.

Here's to Dads! :cheers:

Got back from South Carolina where we buried my 80-yr-old Dad after a long fight with Parkinson's. He was a radioman flying on B-17 bombers at the end of WWII. He taught us how to farm, hunt and fish. He love the details of nature including things like the color and texture of a rock and the sparkle of dew on a spider web. He never NEVER complained about anything or uttered a disparaging word about anyone his whole life. He was a man among men and those like him from his generation are truly rare and will be sorely missed.

While home, Mom wanted to cut down some hickory nut trees that were encroaching on the house. Dad's saw, a Husky Rancher 50, had been sitting in an outside shed for at least 6-7 years and the chain was rusted to the bar. Luckily, though, he had run the tank dry before storing it so after replacing the chain and cleaning up the bar, it started up and I was able to get the work done. Anyway, Mom wanted me to have the saw, so I brought it home to Utah. Obviously, this little saw will have a large place in my collection. Its the older magnesium case model with the white shroud.

Sorry to hear about your dad. No matter how old they may be, always tough when a dad (or mom) passes on, my dad and mom are both gone on and waiting for me. My dad didn't own a saw, but he had other tools and guns that I now have that I'll always have in my possession.

Kevin

If I'm lucky, I've got another 10-15 years with mine. Since he lives 700 miles away, we don't do much. However, his Dolmar 115 and 028S will find a good home...in my garage when the time comes. He really loves that 028. Fun to watch him run it, scary to think he's getting old. I won't let him run my 066, just out of his league anymore, although he is still healthy and mentally sharp. He's entering his mid 70s, and the reflexes just aren't what they used to be. An 028 with .325 safety chain minimizes the issues.

I look at him the way I look at my kids now. Someone you have to keep a bit of an eye on, but with some good memories attached.

Sorry for your loss, but savor the memories. Run that thing every now and then, just to remember.

Mark

I like this post! I have many of my dads tools split between brothers We all have something. But most of all we all have memories and knowledge from him.
I must say it was awkward for all of us to clean up his work shop when mom said you boy's come over and pick through his stuff.

Latest posts

Back