New saw compression

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I said f the warranty and pulled it apart. I don't like people working on my **** anyway especially if I'm to blame. Here's what I found on the intake side. I guess piston and rings are in order? Vac and press test to be sure it was a carb adjust error? What do you guys think with only 1 gallon of fuel thru it?

Sheez Woody, you saw needs help. Piston should not look like that after 1 or 100 tanks. A pressure/vac test is needed so this don't happen again. I feel for you brother with a new 461 with one tank run through it. You pay for a warranty when you buy a new saw, unfortunately you need to exercise your right to use it. Hope you have a good dealer.

The cylinder looks like its probably OK, needs a little cleanup with some scotchbrite but should be OK, and then a new cylinder and piston. Its difficult to see in the photo but did part of the piston ring on the top ring break off ? and cause the damage ? If that didn't cause the problem are there any loose pieces of metal ? Maybe a needle from a needle bearing ? or a piece of circ clip ? You will have to do a real thorough inspection and of course cleaning the crankcase.

There's nothing broken or missing. I have no idea what happened. I was thinking maybe it did ingest something. The pictures are worse than it looks. The cylinder barely catches a fingernail. I don't know what a lean seize looks like and I'm pretty sure I was never more than 3/4 of a turn in on the H and if I was it was during tuning and not cutting. What do you think about the spark plug picture?

Yes, but where I've seen the largest gains was in new saws, mainly the 346xp.
After porting I'll oil the new rings and a little on the skirt of a new piston,no drenched just oil on my finger and wipe it down,whatever it is then before running is about what it will be.

Dry or almost no oil I'm sure I'd see 5 to 10lb increase.

That ring come down far enough to get in the intake?

Piston in backwards?
Gassed?

That ring come down far enough to get in the intake?

Piston in backwards?
Gassed?

guessing now? lol don't you see the case in the pic? definitely not gassed either. it being below the locator pin leads me to believe a ring end collision due to insufficient ring end gap. at least that's as far as i can tell from the 1 pic.

can you post a focused close up of the ring ends of the upper ring? hard to tell but looks like the left side ring end of the upper may have lost it's tip. ring end gap may have been to tight from the factory.
I guess end gap is a possibility. The rings looked fine I will post a pic in a few. So you don't think this is a carb adjustment issue?

Does arborist site have a tool rental program, specifically the intake adapter with the nipple on it? Seriously though how much are those adapters, and can you get them online?

image.jpg Cylinder cleaned of good with some 600 grit wet/dry and wd40 as a cutting lubricant.
I'm going to get a piston, ring set, circlips, base gasket, muffler gasket, muffler cover gasket. Am I missing any parts to order?

I'd be taking that back to the dealer asap.
Sorry but I see it similar as to here. But as you have seen it as a better idea to fool around with it yourself, I hope seriously that your dealer is willing to accept it and not declare you the cause for th damage.

Sorry but I see it similar as to here. But as you have seen it as a better idea to fool around with it yourself, I hope seriously that your dealer is willing to accept it and not declare you the cause for th damage.

Seems apparent he is the cause of the issue. I can't believe anyone would buy a new saw and see this kind of damage and not take it back to the dealer with only a few tanks through it. Unless the OP did something which the dealer would say voided the warranty.

I'm not asking the dealer to accept anything. I'm fixing it on my dime assuming I leaned it too much and caused the damage.

I'm not asking the dealer to accept anything. I'm fixing it on my dime assuming I leaned it too much and caused the damage.
Hello sir, I can NOT imagine anything worse than what happened to you with a new saw!!!!

I understand you stated that you caused the problem, and if I may, what kind of adjustments did you make to the carb...

Hello sir, I can NOT imagine anything worse than what happened to you with a new saw!!!!

I understand you stated that you caused the problem, and if I may, what kind of adjustments did you make to the carb...
I'm not sure what the cause of this was but I did put on a dual port muffler cover, pull the limiter caps and retune the saw. I don't believe I had it set to lean, but maybe I did. It would four stroke out of the cut and clean up in the cut. Max rpm I ever saw with the tach was 13600. Right now the high setting is 1 1/8 out and that's where I left it after the retune. I'm gonna reassemble and vac/ press test after and make sure no leaks. The saw never cut wood with the H screw less than 1 turn in. Fuel mix is 100LL and stihl ultra 50:1.

Latest posts

Back