New saw for the old man

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinner

Reaction score
Hello new to the forum. Looks like a good informative site even though it seems many of you have a big saw addiction. Hope i don't get any bad habits from here.
Anyway my dad's main saw is a homelite super xl ao w/ a 20" bar. Been cutting with same style saw for 30+ years. works well for him, for the 8 cords of maple, elm, and hemlock he cuts a year. Now he has used my 359 and has seen the light. We were thinking that a 346xp would be a good saw for him. As he wants a lighter saw with good power. What do you guys think? and how would the 346xp w/ 18" and sxl w/20" compare powerwise. Oh and it must be a husky as we support our hometown dealer. thanks

Hello new to the forum. Looks like a good informative site even though it seems many of you have a big saw addiction. Hope i don't get any bad habits from here.
Anyway my dad's main saw is a homelite super xl ao w/ a 20" bar. Been cutting with same style saw for 30+ years. works well for him, for the 8 cords of maple, elm, and hemlock he cuts a year. Now he has used my 359 and has seen the light. We were thinking that a 346xp would be a good saw for him. As he wants a lighter saw with good power. What do you guys think? and how would the 346xp w/ 18" and sxl w/20" compare powerwise. Oh and it must be a husky as we support our hometown dealer. thanks

Good choice, although I really like my SuperXL, even though it weighs more than my 372.

Mark

Hey tinner welcome to AS. Since you already have your first post I think it might already be to late for you not getting any bad habits around here. Just go with the cad you can't fight it. Sorry I can't help you on the saw but there is a lot of people here that can. good luck. Ray

welcome to the site!

i do not own a 346 but members here rave about them. i believe it is a very good saw!

when using this site, you will be told to buy a stihl ms361. also, beware the bad jokes, jumping to conclusions, and the brand bashing. never believe anything anyone tells you. remember it is all in good fun. oh yeah, i run this place. send your membership dues to the address in my profile.
thanks
v

damn this is an active site. So can any one tell me how the 346xp compares to the sxl. Or should he just get a 361 and be done with it:greenchainsaw:

Get him a 359. They last forever and are much lighter than the super he is using and he already likes it not to mention a 359 will run a bigger bar if needed than the 346

if I had to go with a Husky,Id buy a 361 Stihl.Yep that was stupid,seriously,Id go with the 357 Husky ,a fine saw for about $100 more than the 359.I had a 357,its almost up there with the 361,just not quite a match in power and balance.

the 346 would burn the homelite a new one in smaller trees.Bigger trees with the bar buried the homelite would hold its own,if not eat the Husky.The 357 would be way better suited for bigger trees than the 346,and its bigger and lighter than the homelite

The 346xp would be the best choice, as it can do 80% of his cutting and when you need a monster log cut up then break out the old Homey. He will like the lighter weight for everyday cutting and still have the power and torque of the Homelite if he ever needs it.

Back