New Saw Questions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianosaur

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As a homeowner, I cut and split several cords to burn in my wood stove every winter. I get a few 'log dumps' a year from you generous tree guys to keep me busy and everyone is ends up happy.

In the forum topic "$400 saw rec" I see a few good brands listed by the regulars around here. Dolmar, Sthil and others

I see 'computeruser' recd a Husqvarna.
Is that alone a dependable name? If so are either of THESE from Lowes any good? I am hesitant to get anything from Mr.BigBox anymore.
Or should I just go with the a 5100 or the MS290?

Also since some of the logs I get can be sometimes be up to 3' in diameter. While a 18" bar could take care of them I'd think I'd prefer a 20" bar.

Other then being able to cut wider trees, are there any other advantage to having a longer bar?

Now what do I know but - I would think a longer bar makes each saw tooth have less friction, causing less heat and less wear.
Thus, do longer bars cut better or more efficiently?

...and 1 more Q. Are there any online retailers for all the rec saws? I like to price shop

Last edited:
Chainsaw

I have a Dolmar 5100 with a 18" bar and a Stihl MS310 with a 20" bar. I bought the Dolmar for 339.00 plus uncle Sam's part. The Stihl was about $400 plus Sam's. The Dolmar is lighter, and out cuts the Stihl. I was skeptical about buying the Dolmar at first, but now it is about the only saw that I use. The Stihl 310 is a good saw, but not as good as the "buttersaw" 5100. You can put a 20" bar on the Dolmar but I like it just the way it is! Ther was a dolmar dealer selling the 5100 on Ebay for 339.00 a few weeks ago. The seller was from Tulsa, probably the same place that I bought mine.

There is no advantage to a longer bar. A longer bar is harder to balance, is easier to get in the dirt, and has a greater chance of kickback. Always use the shortest bar to get the job done.

The best Husqvarna saw available at Lowes is the 359. Its about the same as an MS 310 but its lighter, and costs a couple dollars more.

I also recommend the 5100, its the best saw available anywhere today for under $400 out the door. Get it with the 18" bar and 3/8 chain.

longer bar

A longer bar will result in more drag on the engine due to the extra length of chain and increased load in larger logs since more teeth will be in contact with the wood. Do some searches on this subject. When going to a longer bar, many users will use a sprocket with fewer teeth and a smaller diameter - like going to a lower gear in your car for pulling a heavier load. They may also use a "skip tooth" chain - one that has fewer cutting teeth in a given length. This reduces the number of teeth contacting the wood and reduces the load on the engine.

Welcome to the site!

Stick with a 16-18 inch bar on the saws you are looking at. Just my opinion, but when running a 20 inch bar, I like to have some power, so I prefer a saw in the 4 cube class for running one on.

How many logs do you buck that are over 28-30 inches vs how many that are smaller? If you are dealing with big wood a lot then a more powerful saw with a longer bar would be the right answer.

You should have at least 60 cc's if you're going to pull a 20" bar on a regular basis in hardwood, IMO.

Pick a dealer you like, and buy the brand of saws he sells. After many years of buying saws at box stores, I finally saw the light. You may do your own repair work, but the dealer will still add value by having needed chains, bars, matching files, parts, and other accessaries in stock when you need them.

Let us know what saw you decide to buy!

When I look at chainsaws on the the Dolmar website, I see a four 5000 series saws and then the 6400 series

Im I missing something?

http://www.dolmar.com/productcatalog/category/373/index.html

I also recommend the 5100, its the best saw available anywhere today for under $400 out the door.
I dont have a dealer very close to me that sells Domar saws.
I see a some models on online stores. Is this the one you are all suggesting?
And whats the diff with the series 'letter' models? (D, H , HD, S)

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_PS5100S_18_p/dolmar ps5100s 18 chainsaw as.htm

http://www.thechainsawstore.com/servlet/the-DOLMAR-CHAINSAWS/Categories

[edit]

And now Im reading about how Dolmar service is hard to find. I see that is my issue as well.
I have several Stihl dealers in my area.

So now based on my situation:
310 or 5100?

Last edited:
When I look at chainsaws on the the Dolmar website, I see a four 5000 series saws and then the 6400 series

Im I missing something?

http://www.dolmar.com/productcatalog/category/373/index.html

I see a 5100 at the forum rec online store. Is this the one you are all suggesting?
And whats the diff with the series 'letter' models? (D, H , HD, S)

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_PS5100S_18_p/dolmar ps5100s 18 chainsaw as.htm

The 5100 isn't available overseas. instead they have the 5000. the 5000 is not available in the USA

The D or happy start is the decomp valve. The 5100 is not available with this at the moment. The H is heated handles. HD would be heated handles and decomp.

S is the Speed version. The 5100S spins at 14,500 and the 4600 is the newest design.

Last edited:
Oh so i was looking at the international site? I will try to find the domestic page specs.

Guess I dont need heated handles. (u mean thats to keep your hands warm in cold weather?

and would I need the speed version or is that a default?

Last edited:
Also since some of the logs I get can be sometimes be up to 3' in diameter. While a 18" bar could take care of them I'd think I'd prefer a 20" bar. Other then being able to cut wider trees said:
I feel most comfortable running 20 to 25" for long hours. Thats cutting mostly firewood. My back and knees just are not cut out for that much bending. I'd rather the saw do the extra work and save wear and tear on myself. I like the extra reach it gives me also. Cutting off stumps I would prefer no longer bar then necessary for efficiency.

I often run a 5100 with a 20" bar and 3/8 semi skip chain. The combination works well and allows me to chunk just about everything I need to. I find the horsepower of the saw handles the bar/chain combo very well.

Back