New saw..... sort of.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got the tool to adjust the carb?

Cutoff wheel... make screwdriver slots. Work good. :)

What's the displacement on that? My PP is a few years older. It's 35cc. I opened the muffler some and put on better chain. It cuts well but could use more displacement. I think the PP's with 16" bar are 38 cc now?

42cc read the epa label, poulan puts stickers on them saying all different numbers but all the newer strato ones are 42cc, been covered over on "chainsaw" section. Its cheaper for them to make one engine and just rebadge it to what ever size they want.

The strato built plastic poulans are surprisingly robust. Easy starters. I prefer the heavier ones with antivibe though, but they all cut wood pretty good. Same deal, muffler mod and retune with limiters removed.

About the same as the cheap little huskies, at half price.

42cc read the epa label, poulan puts stickers on them saying all different numbers but all the newer strato ones are 42cc, been covered over on "chainsaw" section. Its cheaper for them to make one engine and just rebadge it to what ever size they want.

It's over at the shop right now - I'm getting sleepy. I'll try and remember to check tomorrow. I believe it said 36 on the store ad.

The strato built plastic poulans are surprisingly robust. Easy starters. I prefer the heavier ones with antivibe though, but they all cut wood pretty good. Same deal, muffler mod and retune with limiters removed.
About the same as the cheap little huskies, at half price.

So how do I do the muffler mod - drill a few holes (how many, what size) or use a cut off wheel (how many, what size) and how do I remove the limiters? I should be able to manage to tune it all right.
Despite what the Army says I did, I'm not much of a mechanic, but I'll give it my best shot.

It's over at the shop right now - I'm getting sleepy. I'll try and remember to check tomorrow. I believe it said 36 on the store ad.

So how do I do the muffler mod - drill a few holes (how many, what size) or use a cut off wheel (how many, what size) and how do I remove the limiters? I should be able to manage to tune it all right.
Despite what the Army says I did, I'm not much of a mechanic, but I'll give it my best shot.

Depends on the muffler if it opens up easy or is crimped or welded together.. At the easiest, ya, drill some holes or enlarge the existing opening. How much is a variable, you can go pretty close to the size of the actual exhaust opening, especially with spark screen intact. I leave the screens for safety reasons.

Of course, muffler is removed from saw and thoroughly cleaned out from metal bits that get in there.

Plastic tabs over real screws, they can be pulled off. The screws will be splined, it used to be easy to get the correct screw driver, now they are medium restricted, EPA/swat team, etc.... You won't get one from a dealer, although they show up on fleabay. Or like said, small thin cutoff wheel in dremel, make a slot, or use a female spade connector over the screw, then a regular flatbade into the connector. Other variations, small copper tube or fuel line over the screw, etc.

Should be a notch I think where the limiters can be pulled off easier if you look close. Some guys just trim the limiter stops with a razor knife and stick the limiters back on so a regular screw driver can be used. One other way for removal is drive in a sheetrock screw until you get a bite, line up the tab, yank em off.

Me and my dad cut with the same model, only craftsman (16' bar and 38cc) it's been a great saw.

Been through many chains and a few bars with it, cut a mess of wood with that saw, I think we got it for 120 or so years ago

You won't get one from a dealer, although they show up on fleabay. Or like said, small thin cutoff wheel in dremel, make a slot, or use a female spade connector over the screw, then a regular flatbade into the connector.

.[/QUOTE]
can also put the fuel screws in a vise,, and cut the slot with a hacksaw.. much thinner slot...esp with a 32 tooth blade...

Now that you mention it, I remember noticing that a few years no ago. No EPA label on mine but I still think it's smaller than 42cc.

I didn't want to drill any holes in the muffler. I took the front plate off and used a socket and punch to reshape it.

Advantage to screwdriver slots imo is adjustment possible through side cover. Also, from experience, might want to check air gap between magneto coil and flywheel. Mine had trouble making spark and didn't like to run at low rpm until I adjusted coil to spec.

Prolly covered a million times on chainsaw but drain the fuel after each use and thread the fuel cap in about 1/4 turn only when storing the saw. Fuel swells the plastic but exposing it to air allows it to return to size. The O'rings on the cap will fail but I've been able to find replacements in auto parts store O'ring selections.

Back