New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Doubrava

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. My dad needs a new chainsaw. Just for homeowner use, though. He had an old Homelite, which many of you collectors would love! It still runs, but the bar is worn out, and the carburator is gummed up. He's gonna throw it away, and he needs another one. What brand and model do you fellas reccommend?:(

Dont throw that saw away! Email me and I will send you a check for the cost of shipping it to my house:eek: As for a new saw, what is your budget? $200? $300? I recommend the Husky 55 for about $300. For $200 you can only find junk.

Sorry to say, Huskyman, but either someone got it already, or it's headin' to the junkyard.:( I like restoring old engines and stuff, myself. It was a good saw, but my Grandfather was fed up with it. Sorry, man!!:( I'm really not sure how much he was going to spend. I think he was just going to buy one of those cheap poulan's for about 100 to 200 dollars!!! I think he should buy a Stihl 025 Wood Boss. Again, sorry 'bout that saw. I liked it myself when I was little. Any other reccommendations?:)

That might work out good. I'll talk to him about it. Really sorry about that old Homelite. I didn't get the chance to try to find the model #'s on it. I think it had a 16 inch bar on it. Man, that thing could run good! If he wouldn't have left it sitting out in the shed, the carb wouldn't have gummed up, and he would have kept it and fixed it. Thanks!!:)

If his needs are fairly modest, look for a Makita DCS 401 (made by Dolmar Sachs in Germany - they invented the gas chain saw).

It's far superior to consumer grade Stihl's, Husky's, and the retail Poulons. Cost will be between $200-250.

- 40 cc
- 8.8 lbs
- 2 ring piston
- adjustable oiler
- compression release
- anti vibration
- excellent air filtration system

For a homeowner saw, this one is excellent!!

Okay, heres my 2 cents, I am not an expert nor do I cut 5 cords a day, But I recently purchased a Dolmar saw (PS-540) and I must say it is far superior to any stihl or Husky I have cut with that was comparable in cc's.( I know the chain cuts the wood but these saws RUN) around here there is almost a Dolmar "cult" following, and after a months use I can see why. They are great saws,very good torque and mine has a gear driven oil pump also. Most people are not familiar with them but you should definitely check them out if you are looking to buy. Very well made.
Steve

OK, now that we got the loooozzzzers choices, how about a nice 026 pro or if in larger wood a 036 pro...pretty ???? hard to beat these saws. there is nothing wrong with a husky as long as you dont run out of food....Borrow a friends saw or try them out at the saw shop and find what fits him just right.

hey i got a sachs-dolamr 153 and it is a beast. i bet you it wil hold it's own pitted against a 088 any day. it makes a monkey out of my homelite sxl-925 and that is a big ???? homeltie. runs a 30" like it runs a 18". i was zipping through 6' willows with no problem with either saw. and then i got out one of the old guys and supprisingly enough it held it's out against the "modern" saws. by the way it was a 990G homelite. it is a tank. porks in at 40 lbs wiht bar and chain on it.

The SXL-925 is a biggie--I have one. 5.01 cid with a very good power/weight ratio for those days.

Any idea what the specs are on that Sachs-Dolmar? Must be pretty fearsome.

Andy, you got that 990G moving already? Good show! Now if the man wants a good saw for his grandpappy I would invite him to try one of Rupedoggys reconditioned, precision cutting machines. I can supply one in the size he needs with a price that will make him smile. BTW that goes for all the forum wood dogs out there. Mike

ruppdoggy

Hello everyone,
Know mike rupley well . race saws with him and he's very knowledgeable on saws. he does a nice job on his reconditioned saws also. if you purchase, trade or steal a saw from him you wont be dissappointed.
ken dunn kdhotsaw

Robert he said his Grandpa didnt want to shell out $300 for a 55, why would he want to blow $450 on an 026? How about we get Gypo logger to hook him up with one of his Remington mighty mites?

robert d.,
if g-pappy is only looking for a smaller saw the husky 136 with a 16' b&c is $168.00, 141 w/ 16" b&c is $198.00, 340 w/ 16" b&c is $234.00, 345 w/ 16' b&c is $241.00, the 350 w/ 18" b&c is $278.00 and the 351 w/ 16" b&c is $331.00. these prices include delivery and all. protect yourselves; marty

Don't let him buy a Stihl 025!! It's a lousy saw and overpriced. If he wants Stihl, than tell him to look for a good used 028 or 026 on EBAY. A good used 026 or 028 will be far superior to a new 025.

Originally posted by Robert Doubrava
Sorry to say, Huskyman, but either someone got it already, or it's headin' to the junkyard.:( I like restoring old engines and stuff, myself. It was a good saw, but my Grandfather was fed up with it. Sorry, man!!:( I'm really not sure how much he was going to spend. I think he was just going to buy one of those cheap poulan's for about 100 to 200 dollars!!! I think he should buy a Stihl 025 Wood Boss. Again, sorry 'bout that saw. I liked it myself when I was little. Any other reccommendations?:)

Don't let him buy a Stihl 025!! It's a lousy saw and overpriced. If he wants Stihl, than tell him to look for a good used 028 or 026 on EBAY. A good used 026 or 028 will be far superior to a new 025.

Originally posted by Robert Doubrava

yeah that 990G fired up on the second pull after i put gas in it. thanks for finding that saw for me. i love the thing. i already went out and cut with it. but that sachs is 100 cc and it attacks wood like a tiger. i have yet to bog it down. but yeah that sxl-925 has an awesome power to weight ratio. i generaly use a 20" on it and it dosen't take no for an answer.

Last edited:
I've read all the threads to date and all I can say is that I have owned and used an 026 for 10 years or longer and I used it quite extensively, its relatively light for G-pa and it still fires up on command now. I don't think you can go wrong with the 026, I just purchased an 028 and I'll let you know how it's going in 10 years.

I don't think it's fair to say that the 025 is a p.o.s. With proper maintenence they can last on. I have one that is like eight years old or so and still starts on the first or second pull. I've been through 3 or four 18" bars, a truckload of chain, 6 sprockets, and enough gas to fill a pool. The saw works great for climbing, is light, and plenty of power for it's size. Now I'll be the first to admit it naturally can't hang with my 372xp or 044s, but I don't need it to. Heck, alot of times I'll keep cutting with it instead of grabbing something bigger.

I haven't been here in a while to check this obviously. It's my Dad that needs a saw, not my 85 year old Grandpa!!:D I don't think he'd be out in the field, with a saw cuttin' up trees! But that'd be a sight to see, let me tell you guys. The only thing left of the Homelite is the clutch because it was brand new, and the recoil starter, 'cause I wanted my Dad to take it off 'cause it's antique, and we don't want the whole saw, due to the problems with it. Those are some great ideas you guys gave me.
Thanks a million!:)

By the way, I was in a Western Auto store in Seguin, Texas, and found the chainsaw section. Not a BIG selection, but it was mostly Stihls. 'Bout three Poulans, and almost ten Stihls. Only one within reach was a 021. Never looked at Stihls before, so I looked at 'em for a few minutes. Picked up the 021 and it was purty dang light. Too bad I couldn't have started it!:D I think there was an 026, 025 Wood Boss, and the 021 I looked at. I forgot the other models. But thanks again, guys!:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back