"New" Saws from the weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm glad to report that all the saws are runners except the Echo 300. I'm not gonna mess with it, just sell it for parts. I got the 032 running this morning after soaking the carb twice and adjusting it several times...turns out this saw doesn't like too much fuel, 3/4 turn on both H and L. The manual I have says 1 1/4 to 1 1/2. I guess my saw didn't read the manual!

I've tinkered with just about all of them. The Poulan runs just fine, one of the Echos runs good, the other one I believe is a DOA, The only thing wrong with the 10-10s is the kill switch doesn't work. The starter sticks on the other McCulloch so I'll have to work on it. I have the Stihl 032 apart right now, carburetor is full of dirt. I'll probably try to get a kit for it tomorrow along with a new air filter. The other Stihl is already put up on a shelf. I will probably in the near future have to build some more shelves to put these saws on..I hate to leave saws on the ground or on a concrete floor, especially the metal ones.

Good flea market scores for sure. I'm especially digging the 10-10S and the PP380. Both damn good saws. Glad you got the 032 running.

I'd always thought the top handle Stihls went for a small fortune so I went ahead and plucked it up without doing any more research. I got to looking on 'the bay and some of them are going for about $200.

They do hold their value likely better than any other saw on the planet. The 020T or 200T..

My neighbor is trying to trade me out of it but I'll probably keep it until it needs work. I heard they are a royal pain to work on.

Well, you better get somethng back in trade that is worth while. That saw is likely easily worth $200. The only thing I have ever had a problem with on them is the carburator; but a new carb and it is as good as new. (don't bother trying to rebuild the carb) But if you don't work "in" a tree; what would you want one for :)

They do hold their value likely better than any other saw on the planet. The 020T or 200T..

Well, you better get somethng back in trade that is worth while. That saw is likely easily worth $200. The only thing I have ever had a problem with on them is the carburator; but a new carb and it is as good as new. (don't bother trying to rebuild the carb) But if you don't work "in" a tree; what would you want one for :)

I don't work in a tree but I do trim branches off after they're on the ground...guess I could use about anything for that though..

Good flea market scores for sure. I'm especially digging the 10-10S and the PP380. Both damn good saws. Glad you got the 032 running.

The 10-10s only has one problem that I can see. The kill switch doesn't work, you have to use the choke to shut it off. I did some checking and the problem isn't in the switch itself, it may be in the coil or someone wired the switch to the wrong terminal because the terminal the kill switch was on is grounded all the time, yet it runs. I'm wondering if the kill switch should be on the other terminal. I may do some experimenting with it to see. The Timber Bear seems like a good running saw also. It just needed a little work on the recoil, half an hour and it was ready to go.

Can't wait too see what you bring back this time!

I've promised myself I'm only gonna buy smaller saws this time..I'm running out of room, even with the new shelf. If it were the Fall season I might try to sell off a few more undesirable saws (to me). All my saws would be desirable to someone, I just have a hard time finding them.
Now watch me come back with a Big Stihl or Husky with a 36" bar!

What a difference

What a difference a couple of weeks make! Went to the same place I went last time, same time, etc. and came back with absolutely nothing! I saw several saws there, quite a few Stihls, one Solo, but all out of my price range. Anyway, it's hard to admit defeat but maybe next time I'll get in on something good. Too hot today to do much walking around anyway. The good part is, I won't have to clean and work on any chainsaws this week in the blistering heat.

Back