Need help with the 12 saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wombat Ranger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have 11 saws, half of them don't really run, and the other half are all the same size.

20220204_152925.jpg

Craftsman/Poulan 2.1ps - runs but not really
Husky 240 X-torq - runs & dies
Husky 45 special - runs & dies
Homelite XL12 (blue & white) - no run
Echo CS550 - got out of dumpster missing half it's parts
Stihl MS2390 (290 with a junkola $28 390 top end that is shot) - runs but not really
Jonsered CS2159C - probably my best saw
Husky 61 - My other best saw, first saw, never ever lets me down.
Husky 562xp - when it wants to run it's an incredibly good saw
Husky 268xp (se) - great running leaky old saw I use for falling
Husky 268xpw - runs but wore out, needs rebuild

I have been thinking I should buy some more cheap old wore out 60cc saws to fill the gaps in my lineup what do you guys think?

Variety is the SPICE of life,, get an electric,, you will never look back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

4XBKI2X.jpg

Variety is the SPICE of life,, get an electric,, you will never look back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

4XBKI2X.jpg
Father inlaw has one. It overheats anything smaller than an 8AH HD battery and is a mile long. They should have mounted the battery sideways and made it a top handle. Then I could get over the rest of the quirks I think.

Father inlaw has one. It overheats anything smaller than an 8AH HD battery and is a mile long. They should have mounted the battery sideways and made it a top handle. Then I could get over the rest of the quirks I think.

I like mine, I got the 12AH battery with mine, my SIL has twin 8AH's,,, his is lighter with the small battery.
This saw is KING for limbing, trimming,, no ear protection, no pullin' a rope,, just go,,
The only shock so far is that the "chain brake" is an electrical switch,, not a brake,,,
You think the battery is not seated or something when you trip the handle. The saw should have a flashing LED or something,,
so that you do not try fiddling with the battery, when you really need to reset the brake handle.

I did try it on a 12" oak about a month ago,, THAT really drained the battery in a HURRY!!
Maybe a half dozen cuts??
But, even though it would do it,, that is not its intent.
The battery will limb as long as I want to run it,, I seldom go below two bars of battery left.

Jonsered CS2159C- probably my best saw......... so surround it with sister saws.
Get all the others running, sell them- find a 2137, 2172, 2188 and maybe a 2094 just for fun.

The wee Husqvarna, try to get it going and sell it- they are wee toads, the 45 Special could go the same way. Replace it with a 340-350 and never look back.

The 61's are good honest saws and your first- the 2159 is possibly the better of the two, but keep the 61.

The 562? You decide- I do not have a great deal of love for anything much after 3 series, but if you like it when it is going, fix it so it goes all the time.

The 268's are nice saws and a nice step up form the 2159 and 61- not a huge leap, but a healthy wee step. Decide which one you might like more and sell the other.

Then you need a 200T= just because.

The 290/390....... yeah na, just dig a hole and bury that one.

Jonsered CS2159C- probably my best saw......... so surround it with sister saws.
Get all the others running, sell them- find a 2137, 2172, 2188 and maybe a 2094 just for fun.

The wee Husqvarna, try to get it going and sell it- they are wee toads, the 45 Special could go the same way. Replace it with a 340-350 and never look back.

The 61's are good honest saws and your first- the 2159 is possibly the better of the two, but keep the 61.

The 562? You decide- I do not have a great deal of love for anything much after 3 series, but if you like it when it is going, fix it so it goes all the time.

The 268's are nice saws and a nice step up form the 2159 and 61- not a huge leap, but a healthy wee step. Decide which one you might like more and sell the other.

Then you need a 200T= just because.

The 290/390....... yeah na, just dig a hole and bury that one.
Alotta good advice in this thread so far, (well maybe not the part about that electric saw)😉 the guys here are really looking out for you!

Definitely get rid of the cheapo saws, they're not cool at all.....
You'll need some big old muscle saws too, (I recommend a husky 2100 or Stihl 056 for that), then l think you're supposed to have a 346xp, an 026 is also required, then there's the Dollar saws, you gotta have at least one Dalmar, (I personally dislike anybody who does not own at leas one 372xp), if you want a saw that works nearly all the time you could get an echo cs400, and then you must have several "ported" saws, otherwise you might as well just go out and dig a hole for yourself.
Dang, l almost forgot about the bars! you need a pile of expensive light weight bars too.. tsumura, sugihara, Stihl es light, husky x-tough light, etc.
Also, don't worry about the saws you have that don't run, they still count toward your standing as a member here.
Good luck with the cultivation of CAD!!!

I have 11 saws, half of them don't really run, and the other half are all the same size.

View attachment 962500

Stihl MS2390 (290 with a $28 390 top end that is shot) - runs but not really

I have been thinking I should buy some more cheap old wore out 60cc saws to fill the gaps in my lineup what do you guys think?
Sell the first 6 wherever, sell the 268 XPW to me, buy a 40-50cc saw, fix the 562, and get an 85+ cc saw.

buy all new bars and clean the covers, proceed to hang them all on the wall with the running saws at the bottom within reach...work your way up the wall repairing them individually as you work upwards. If the wife or girlfriend starts asking questions simply say hold this for me real quick and hand them something filthy...they won't mess with you again.

^^That's not 12
Let's see, my 12-saw plan is a PM 6, MS250, 026, 350, 562, 5-10, 272, 372XPW, 181, SP81, 056 Mag II, 2100. I think you should sell the first two and the 290/390, build a 272, buy an MS461, a 181/281/288, a 390/395, and a 2100.

View attachment 962500

Stihl MS2390 (290 with a $28 390 top end that is shot) - runs but not really

I read this as you having dyslexia and you really meant to say "21" not "12" so you really need "9" more saws to own up to your caption. Report back when You are in need of further clarification.
YER WELCOME

Latest posts

Back