New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in Maine. I have been having several problems with my speedpro. I called local TSC store today and they told me that Speeco has a set screw recall. That is supposedly why they stopped sales up here.

Wildeswood,
Sorry to hear about your problems, but you're not alone. That is the first I've heard of a "set screw" problem. The biggest issues I've heard of are "rack blowing teeth" and the "handle connecting rod bending". Supposedly those were the reasons for the "stop sale". You could read through this whole thread for answers, but it would be easier for you to just describe your issues to us. I'm sure everyone still paying attention to this thread will help all they/we can.

edit-- not to mention "excessive ram speed":msp_glare:

Last edited:
I am in Maine. I have been having several problems with my speedpro. I called local TSC store today and they told me that Speeco has a set screw recall. That is supposedly why they stopped sales up here.

A set screw recall? That's a new one on me! What problems are you having with your SpeedPro?

Electric splitter

You've probly seen this, but...Electric Log Splitter - YouTube

I believe this is a video of the ramsplitter(not sure how current). It's faster than what I thought it would be, being electric. A production table on it would help alot (SS table would be perfect for this splitter). And get it up higher so you're not hunched over all the time. My back would be killing me after no time with it the way it is.

Watching the DR video, it looks like it's ram speed is slower, but it splits in both directions. And, the DR sits up higher and already has a production table (it's nice not to have to pick your splits up off the ground every time).

No, they are not as fast as a kinetic splitter. They're hydraulic, they're not supposed to be. But, they do split wood repititiously! That is the end product we are all striving for.

I would love to recommend for you to get a speedpro and convert it to electric (let me know the gear ratio). With the proper gearing, I think it be very easy to do, once you know the operating rpm of the electric motor. Who knows, Speeco might have an electric speedpro on the horizon, but I'm sure it will be well north of $1000.

Good luck.

Logbutcher...I'll start saving for that bottle of 12 yr. old, when this one gets low !!!
I got a three point log splitter from Ram splitter. Later on I needed a splitter to in my shop so I bought another point took my old one call Doug at Ramsplitter he sent me a three hp electric motor and pump. It has split a lot of wood in the last 3 years. I built a steel table for it to set on I use it more than my other 2 splitters my 20 and 30 tons give Doug a call he help you out later

Tree size

What length & diameter are you splitting that weighs nearly 1000 lbs? Like to see a pic of that. Too much logging going on around here for trees to get that big. Biggest I've split was a 26" diameter red oak, cut to 18" long. That weighed 315 lbs, & was loaded onto the splitter with my forklift. Have a 16 ft long red oak now, 29" tapering down to 26", but I'm going to saw it into 6/4 lumber for a truck floor for a guy. That log is roughly 66 cu. ft., or just over a half cord. More money in the lumber than firewood, lots less work, and will still have lots of firewood from the slabs.
I have 2 Oak down in my wood that I can hide my tractor behind my logs are only 16 to 18 inchs long. Wille cut one tree I hauled in he had to notch it with his 48 inch bar. I couldn't pick up three pieces with my tractor I had to go get my fork lift and it picks up 3 ton. In southern Illinois we still have some large oak and some super big cotton wood. With my 20 in bar I would have to eat on them like a beaver. I help cut one cotton wood for a fellow we cut on it for two and give next day went back the wind had come up and it was down and a half dozen other tree in it's path. Later

A set screw recall? That's a new one on me! What problems are you having with your SpeedPro?

The bolts that adjust the tension on the belts are backing off about every three cords. I have tried loc-tite and double nut but they still back out. Also the bolt on the crank pulley backs out about every cord. Again I tried loc-tite but to no prevail. As most people have mentioned I get some bad disengagements. I had not read anything about these machines when I contacted TSC. I was very dissapointed with the response when they told me that it was a set screw recall. They would not refund my money. I purchased 9/21/11. The first two months we did not use much because we use a firewood processor. When it gets cold we put processor away and start using splitters. I think it is a great machine for the money but I also think it was not field tested and put into the hands of us too soon. TSC called back and said they spoke with rep from speeco and he was not very helpful. Speeco told TSC to send it out and fix it. TSC is giving me the option to trade it for a hydraulic.

The bolts that adjust the tension on the belts are backing off about every three cords. I have tried loc-tite and double nut but they still back out. Also the bolt on the crank pulley backs out about every cord. Again I tried loc-tite but to no prevail. As most people have mentioned I get some bad disengagements. I had not read anything about these machines when I contacted TSC. I was very dissapointed with the response when they told me that it was a set screw recall. They would not refund my money. I purchased 9/21/11. The first two months we did not use much because we use a firewood processor. When it gets cold we put processor away and start using splitters. I think it is a great machine for the money but I also think it was not field tested and put into the hands of us too soon. TSC called back and said they spoke with rep from speeco and he was not very helpful. Speeco told TSC to send it out and fix it. TSC is giving me the option to trade it for a hydraulic.

Wildeswood,

Check the lock washers...I bet they are for left-handed threads, and you have right-handed threads. The reason I say that is because that's what I found on mine when I was assembling it new out of the crate. I also found the same thing on the non-driven flywheel when I had to remove it because of an out of balance issue. I would not be surprised if there were more backwards lock washers on my machine, but I haven't purposely looked for them. You may have a backwards lock washer on your clutch retainer bolt as well, and that could be allowing it to loosen up. It's not hard to know if the lock washers are for opposite-handed threads, as they will dig into the head of the bolt and try to separate as you tighten the bolt, whereas they should dig in only when the bolt tries to loosen. As I have stated numerous times before on this forum, a lot of the problems with the SpeedPro splitter are directly related to a lack of quality control. Missing parts, backwards lock washers, flywheels out of balance...ALL due to a lack of quality control! I would definitely get the clutch bolt issue taken care of...that particular bolt loosening up is dangerous! Good luck...we're all waiting to see how SpeeCo is going to take care of their customers. These splitters were pulled off the market quite some time ago, so they are way overdue on a remedy in my opinion. I'm just glad I'm not one of the customers who paid good money for a brand new SpeeCo splitter with the intent of using it in a firewood business...they are the ones that are really taking a beating! Hopefully SpeeCo will come through for us SpeedPro owners, but the clock is still ticking...

bummer

Thanks for the tip on the lock washers. I overlooked that. I will check it out in the morning.

Sounds like piss poor quality control all the way around on the Speedco's end. With all the problems you guys keep seeing cropping up with these machines I'm so glad I did not purchase one and defiantly would not buy one now. "Backwards lock washers?" this is like engineering for third graders :laugh: lol. I feel for all the people with one of these machines sitting around wasting your money and time, damn shame. As for the, "they gave me the option to trade it in for a hydro unit" that seems like a real cop-out on TS part, another sign of poor customer service. This week I'm putting a 13 HP Honda on the trusty ol' single stage homemade hydro I have laying in the back. It should up the crunch quite a bit on the ram power verses the old brigs cast iron single cylinder that was on it. The engine is a dinosaur, can you say " heavy old iron" lol. I'd say the Honda is a third the weight with twice the grunt.
Anybody have some info on where I might find a rack & pinion, local to me, to build a inertia splitter this spring or summer coming up? I'd prefer to use new vs used ones. I do have most of what else is needed to put one together.

I have a question that I guess needs to be asked...

What is Speeco/TSC going to do about these problems?

It's great that many people are trying to come up with solutions, but it does seem like the manufacturer needs to step up. Speeco has a great reputation, so I hope they will come through...

After my initial post starting this thread, it sure took on a life of it's own. Who would have figured??

I asked this on 12/12/11. Bump....

Going at it !!

Naked Arborist, Thank you for feeling for me. Since purchaseing my Speedpro in August I have been running the Koehler Engine at 1500 rpms and splitting a bunch of White Oak. No problems for me! Plus I have a bunch of money in the bank.

Answer

Naked Arborist, Thank you for feeling for me. Since purchaseing my Speedpro in August I have been running the Koehler Engine at 1500 rpms and splitting a bunch of White Oak. No problems for me! Plus I have a bunch of money in the bank.
Fly by nights are hurting in my area because they was not ready

This is what they are doing.

What, havent they done enough yet?

I was told by SpeeCo on January 23rd that they "got the last batch [racks, I assume] to test this week, have all of the components. We are working with the retailer on the roll out plan."

I was told by SpeeCo on January 23rd that they "got the last batch [racks, I assume] to test this week, have all of the components. We are working with the retailer on the roll out plan."

Ill believe it when I see it.....at the rate they are going it will be summer before we see anything happen.

Well Fellows, Sorry for disappearing for so long. There really hasn't been many new updates on this problem so I have just kinda been reading posts every couple days or so. Since last speaking to those that are familiar with me, I fixed my broke tooth rack and moved the cam stop ahead just a tiny bit and VaLa, no more problems. I don't run my machine full out, I think it's probable somewhere around 2/3 throttle. Have been talking to to local TSC and they told me whenever the parts come out they will get me the new parts I need and make it right. I can't even imagine how much wood I have split this month but I have learned to be carefull and not kick the B*^ch when she's down. I have still been in contact with the company and they still say, waiting on parts. I am completely convinced that the combination of cam stops, faulty racks and speed are all a compounding problem. All of them put together are a recipe for disaster. This machine was designed to fail from the beginning. Fix them all or beat your head against the wall. :bang:

Dozer: Gotta adjust that front cam stop. It changes things completely. It only takes a little.

I messed around some more with my calculations comparing the SS and speedpro. I got the numbers to work out to 16 tons on the SS and 28 on the Speedpro using the same assumptions. I'm surprised Speedpro felt compelled to go for 28 tons when SS has a long history at 16 tons. The forces on the gear teeth are insane at 28 tons combined with a pinion speed that is to high its just asking for disaster. Per my rough calcs running the Speedpro at 2600ish rpm you get similar force as the SS, cool to hear so many are already having sucess doing just that!

What does SpeeCo consider customer service???

Am I the only one surprised and disappointed that SpeeCo has yet to make a formal effort to inform their SpeedPro customers of exactly what they are doing about the SpeedPro issues? One would think that if they value their customers, then they would be giving us formal, periodic updates along the way. The only time I hear from them is AFTER I email someone within their organization...and except for one Customer Service Representative, it usually takes several emails to get a response. Shouldn't they be coming to us? What's wrong with this picture???

Return and then buy what???

I hate to become what we here on this speedpro thread have been battling for so long. I really hate to "bash" the splitter, and it's manufacturer, that I have been defending for all this time. I also know that the one thing about "customer service" that pixxes most "customers" off is a lack of personal contact. The customer needs and deserves to be "informed" as to what is happening to rectify there problems.

I sometimes think that most of us here on this thread are using each other as a "support group". It lets us know that we are not alone in our problems and issues. Shxx, we've gone so far as to pretty much fix the dang things ourselves!

With the help from some friends here on this thread, I've got a few good ideas (such as fabricating a "bolt on cross bracket" with a nut welded in the center of it to hold the adjusting bolt for a cam-stop, for one...and a smaller clutch pulley for another) that I think will definately improve this machine. I'm still just waiting to see just how far SpeeCo is going to go before I drop any more of my cash on the project. I wish they would hurry up and show there hand.

If I had the extra grand to spend on an SS, I might have done things different. Like throwing a big half split piece of green pin oak flat side down in the cradle...SIDEWAYS! Crank the motor to wfo and keep slamming it until this thing self destructs. After watching this thing violently disengage on a knotted piece of black walnut 8-10 times in a row, I don't think it would take too awfull long to see parts fly. But you know what, it would have been nice for all of us if SpeeCo would have done something like this BEFORE they sold them to us!

After all that ranting...I still don't, for the most part, regret buying this thing. The ability to split wood with the speed of a kinetic splitter, and saving a grand, still outweighs the issues. Just wish I didn't feel so much like a big furry domesticated rodent.

K...I'm done being a "SpeedPro Basher" !!! Today's project...bending the "factory installed non-adjustable" cam-stop forward just a little bit. Oh yeah, and then split another cord of wood too!

Last edited:
Back