New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like every thing else in this country make it cheap make it fast sell it fast and make up excuses later when it don't perform maybe someday we may wake up and start building things here again.

I haven't read much in this thread but from what I have read I have seen china mentioned a couple times no sense in reading any further I could totally be out of line with it but I doubt it

Both statements couldn't be more correct!!! As quickly as you (and numerous others) caught on to that, one has to wonder why SpeeCo isn't admittedly seeing it???

Perhaps they are having problems logging on with their Chinese Computer or I Pad or I Phone?

Spoke to Shawn today

I spoke with Shawn today and he put his boss on the phone. I asked if I could return my Speedpro for a refund and he said yes. I told him I would wait the 2 weeks for the parts to repair my splitter. He returned my call after finding out they told him they are in final testing and it will be 2 more weeks. As of now they are saying the issues are the rack, engagement rod, and engagement device.
I mentioned the reverse handle and he said he looked at it on this site. I suggested the reverse handle and he acted like it wasn't up to him. I will take one of those reverse handles after the dust settles.

The speed

I forgot to mention that Speeco also mentioned the speed of the Kohler engine. They are going to contact Kohler and have them change things on the engine so that full throttle is about 2200 rpm's. I told Speeco that I operate my engine speed at 1500 rpm's and it splits just fine.

I forgot to mention that Speeco also mentioned the speed of the Kohler engine. They are going to contact Kohler and have them change things on the engine so that full throttle is about 2200 rpm's. I told Speeco that I operate my engine speed at 1500 rpm's and it splits just fine.
LOL (not at you), If I remember correctly I thought most said (including the SS guys) that they were, already, only running there machines at around 2300-2500rpm (most clutches engage @2200ish). Even at that speed they were still seeing the issues (on the Speeco). Take a SS and a Speeco running the same engine RPM and the Speeco flywheels are still almost turning double that of the SS machine (based on comparative measurements that are contained this thread).:dizzy:

Lumberjackmoe,

I'm surprised your clutch engages enough at 1500rpm...the ram on mine stops way too easily at anything less than 2000rpm. I've found that the optimal speed for mine is around 2600rpm...at that speed, the ram seldom stops, and when it does it stops properly (i.e. the clutch slips and the engine begins to load up until I manually disengage the rack). It's good that yours will work at that lower speed...the slower the better in my opinion, at least to a degree.

Last edited:
Does anyone have one within an hour of Hampton Beach, NH I can come try?

I think the comment is funny about Speedpro changing the Kohler engine speed, I think the OEM should just change the clutch pulley diameter but having a service recall to have all speedpro owners come in and have the high speed idle stop turned back is way cheaper:laugh:

`.... but having a service recall to have all speedpro owners come in and have the high speed idle stop turned back is way cheaper:laugh:

And then they can have a recall again, because the clutches won't engage.:msp_thumbup:

After Reading all of This Thread's Posts...

... I'm going to really enjoy using my hydraulic log splitter this spring even more to break down 20 cords of ash that I brought in, now resting in rounds. It works very well. Thank's guys.

... I'm going to really enjoy using my hydraulic log splitter this spring even more to break down 20 cords of ash that I brought in, now resting in rounds. It works very well. Thank's guys.

Be that as it may, it's sad to see folks put down their hard won cash in good faith ,only to find that the product that they purchased was very flawed. Even worse is the fact that Speeco has kept them in the dark about a possible fix .

Be that as it may, it's sad to see folks put down their hard won cash in good faith ,only to find that the product that they purchased was very flawed. Even worse is the fact that Speeco has kept them in the dark about a possible fix .
+1. Speeco usually stands behind its products. Sorry to see all this trash. Reminds me of the Chevy Volt stopping dead in the Lincoln Tunnel.

Thought I would share. Hell I could use this just as well as any splitter. Talk about GREEN!:)

Ingmars klyv - YouTube
That's a dandy, even if he was splitting easy-to-split maple and avoiding crotch. Note that the spring is actually working against the splitting force. If he could disengage that big spring somehow before he drops the weight, he'd have more power yet. But, that complicates the design a bunch.

Also, if he lodges that beast into a stubborn big elm or hickory round, then what?

Stuck Elm

That's a dandy, even if he was splitting easy-to-split maple and avoiding crotch. Note that the spring is actually working against the splitting force. If he could disengage that big spring somehow before he drops the weight, he'd have more power yet. But, that complicates the design a bunch.

Also, if he lodges that beast into a stubborn big elm or hickory round, then what?

It looks like he just lifts, sometimes with the stump, the arm and just hammers it down again. I suppose a 3d or 4th time if necessary.
Otherwise, I dunno.:confused:

The Future of SpeedPro

I have to ask...are they done for good or will they release an improved model in the near future? :angry:

The DR is getting my attention but the ability to tow the SpeedPro is making me wait.

I have to ask...are they done for good or will they release an improved model in the near future? :angry:

The DR is getting my attention but the ability to tow the SpeedPro is making me wait.

Neelix,
When I talked to speeco a while back, they assured me that they were in the kinetic business to stay. With "new models" (notice the plural form) coming out this year...but they also said they would have the new parts out in two weeks too.

So... :popcorn: :cheers:

I have to admit, it is nice to hitch it to the truck and tow it to the woodpile. :D

Fyi... Since I've done all the repairs, fixes and adjustments mentioned in this thread, I've not had the first misfire! She stalls like she should. Just release the engagement handle and hit 'er again!

Thanks to all!!

Last edited:
Neelix,
When I talked to speeco a while back, they assured me that they were in the kinetic business to stay. With "new models" (notice the plural form) coming out this year...but they also said they would have the new parts out in two weeks too.

So... :popcorn: :cheers:

I have to admit, it is nice to hitch it to the truck and tow it to the woodpile. :D

Dozer, I'm not holding my breath...are you?:msp_smile:

Back