New Stihl Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgnatiusJReilly

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Dear Arby,

First, I ask this, not because it's a consideration so much as out of pure curiousity. As I shopped new Stihls, I noticed that both the 290 and the 310 provide more cc's and hp than the 260 Pro. Yet, the 260 Pro is considerably more expensive- and that's not even considering the 361. Other than being roughly 3 pounds lighter than the Farm Boss and it's slightly bigger brother, what is it about the 260 Pro that makes it worth the extra scratch? Are the pro series Stihls built out of better materials? Is the design superior? Are they built by velvet-gloved elves in a hollow tree next to the Keebler shop?

Secondly, given the economy, any idea whether a new Stihl will drop in price in the near future- keep in mind, I assume the hit would be absorbed by Stihl and not the independent dealer? I don't mean to sound like I'm all vultury, circling and whatnot, but my money's tight, too.

Stihless in Cincinnati

Dear Stihless,
The 260 pro, is just that, a pro saw. It has a different engine case design than the 290/310/390 family of saws. This design allows for easier rebuilding when the time comes. Also, the 260 pro has a better power to weight ratio than the saws mentioned above. That being said, if money is an issue, than don't be afraid of the saws mentioned above. They are very reliable and will last along time. Do a search, there are many posts regarding the 290/310/390 family of saws above. Many are positive.

Nil got it all I believe. Another option you might consider is looking for a used 026/260 on fleabay. They are simple to work on, built like a brick sh** house and by far the most popular small saw. The 290s and 310s are also great saws if you need to go new but a cheaper route.

I don't think you will see the Stihl's go down much, I see 290 and 310 sales here once in awhile for maybe $25-$50 off or they give you a nice case. Asking for some oil or files usually will be given at the time of a new saw purchase while "low balling" will send you out the door without a saw. They are not marked up much and you will be getting a well built saw with support when needed.

Doesnt the Pro also have a paper automotive style air filter with a foam prefilter, whereas the regular saws just have that foam filter deal?

The 280 is just about the same price as the non-Pro 260 but will run a 20" bar much better than a 260 and has about a half horse more power and about a pound heavier.

Dear Arby,

First, I ask this, not because it's a consideration so much as out of pure curiousity. As I shopped new Stihls, I noticed that both the 290 and the 310 provide more cc's and hp than the 260 Pro. Yet, the 260 Pro is considerably more expensive- and that's not even considering the 361. Other than being roughly 3 pounds lighter than the Farm Boss and it's slightly bigger brother, what is it about the 260 Pro that makes it worth the extra scratch? Are the pro series Stihls built out of better materials? Is the design superior? Are they built by velvet-gloved elves in a hollow tree next to the Keebler shop?

Secondly, given the economy, any idea whether a new Stihl will drop in price in the near future- keep in mind, I assume the hit would be absorbed by Stihl and not the independent dealer? I don't mean to sound like I'm all vultury, circling and whatnot, but my money's tight, too.

Stihless in Cincinnati

This is the truth as I have been told. I read it on AS

Latest posts

Back