New to me Homelite 450.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrassGuerilla

Olympic Piss-reving wanna be.
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg As the title implys, I scored a 450 today. Pretty good shape for its age. A little fresh mix and a new plug (thanks Gerald) and she's a runner. Pig rich & smoky, but FIRST pull fire. Idles, revs quick. I'm stoked.

I'm not sure how many it takes to be a Homelite collector, but I think I must be getting close.

Ok homelite guys. Are there any quirks I should be aware of with these? Aside from their apparent ability to multiply.

Edit: note the fuzzy pic of 195 psi COLD. Ain't no drop starter...

Lol, already got a 550. Little cleaner, not quite the compression of my 450. Dang things keep popping up. Yeah, I can see how a guy might just want a full set.

Edit: the 550 has the "west coast" package. Full wrap & big dawgs.

I scored one myself not long ago. Going to fix it up when cooler weather hits around here. If you don't mind me asking what does it take to put the husqvarna bar on it? And yes I'm looking for the 550,650,750 to lol!!

I honestly can't say what they did to the bar to make it work. I really just laid hands on it and haven't had a chance to scrutinize their customization. I'll try to get a closer look tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't have any husky bars to compare it too. Have to steal my bro's 372.

Well milkman, It looks like they just extended the slots as needed. I'll try to post some pics later. I'm having some trouble getting oil to the chain. Neither the automatic or manual pump are doing much (anything?). With the bar off, I get a little oil from the man pump. Not much quantity. Nothing getting to the chain. The oil port on the Husky bar is much smaller than the Homelite bar on my 550. I plan to try that bar later to eliminate easy stuff. Haven't started it without a bar yet either. Hoping it will pump with somewhere to go.

Anybody have any sage advice on troubleshooting these oilers? My first time tangling with one. [nervous] don't wanna break anything.

Wanted to add that I'm simply stunned at how hard it is to pull this thing. This ain't no drop starting kitten. You better hold it down on the ground with your foot firmly planted. I'm a 225 lb man and it absolutely commands my respect when trying to give it a tug. Feels mechanically smooth, but brutally yanks back if you aren't commited. Indicative of a problem? Or just me being used to mostly smaller, newer saws? Dunno, but I have a bit more respect for the skinny little fellas of yesteryear that worked all day with one of these.

image.jpg Couldn't resist checking for the obvious. After draining the black murky crap that was in the oil tank, it became obvious that there was "some foreign debris" in their. Guess they were storing some extra parts in there? The string was in the manual oiler hose. Manual oiler works fine for now. Cleaned out the bilge waste in the air box, snugged up the carb & got the throttle linkage working smooth. Now she sounds AWESOME! Gotta put a sharp chain on and see what's up with old school.

The automatic oiler line is just too soft. Can you get away with tygon? Or what should I use?

Couldn't resist checking for the obvious. After draining the black murky crap that was in the oil tank, it became obvious that there was "some foreign debris" in their. Guess they were storing some extra parts in there? The string was in the manual oiler hose. Manual oiler works fine for now. Cleaned out the bilge waste in the air box, snugged up the carb & got the throttle linkage working smooth. Now she sounds AWESOME! Gotta put a sharp chain on and see what's up with old school.

The automatic oiler line is just too soft. Can you get away with tygon? Or what should I use?
I hope tygon will work with the auto oiler. Same thing is wrong with mine and that's what I'm going to try. Wish mine look was good as yours.

image.jpg This one shows the grinding they did to make the husqvarna bar work. The oiler holes work fine (once your oiler does). The wet chain in this pic got all that oil through the manual oiler. It was bone dry to start. I'm anxious to throw chips with it!image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here you go milkman. I swapped bars and spikes from my 550. This vintage Oregon bar was supposedly used in about 1981 logging eucalyptus in Northern California. That's a fresh Woodland Pro chain that came to me with the 550. Now she looks almost as mean as she sounds. I left the full wrap on the 550.

The 450 in these pics was bought as a farm saw here in Missouri. Apparently there is at least one older Homelite, and possibly an old Stihl still in the barn. Waiting patiently to hear back.

Thank you. I'm liking it a lot. It's hard to imagine how they went from making these to the current box store offerings. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum. "From top quality parts designed to last" to "disintegrates on contact".

Reputely, per David Lee, John Deere had a big hand in that transition. Initially, limiting everything to 50 cc.

Latest posts

Back