New to site. Have Dolmar 5100 question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post, love the site!
I just purchased a dolmar 5100 from a dealer in my neck of the woods, anyway I looked over the manual that came in the box, and then i looked at the pdf. manual on the dolmar website. My manual does'nt show or say anything about a pre-filter, however the manual on the dolmar website shows a pre-filter in the engine cover at the back, has anyone else noticed this, I also looked at the parts breakdown on the dolmar site to see if I could find a part # so I could order one and they don't list a pre-filter only the air filters. This is my first dolmar . If anyone knows the part # for the pre filter I would be very pleased if you could help me ! I got a very good buy on this nice little saw because the dealer was giving up the dolmar brand, to another shop. The only thing is my saw was a left over meaning it is a 2006 model that was on display. Is this why my manual is different? I also noticed that the tag on my saw says 49.9cc the same as my manual lists this saw as only 49.9cc but the web site says 50.4cc? what's the deal . Do I have an odd ball?:dizzy:

Welcome to the site. My Dolmar 5100, just over 1 year old, has a pre-filter in the top removable cover. With the cover removed, looking into the cover, the pre-filter would be in the bottom right. It is nothing more than a small piece of black very open cell like foam material. Just enough to prevent wood pieces from getting inside. It slots into the top cover. Pretty hard to spot the first time.

Maybe the cc difference is due to a manufacturing change? Enough to ensure it is a "true" "50cc" saw?

The stated cc numbers for the 5100S has been a total mess from the outset - nobody seems to know the truth! :censored:

There are some Dolmar dealers on this site, like Cuttinscott and 166 - they should be able to help you with the top cover/prefilter issue.....:)

When in 2006 was your saw made?

Thankyou for the reply. Saw Troll my saw is 06/09 according to the sticker on the handle. If you or anyone else can clear this up for me it would be appreciated! My manual states that the saw has the same output as the web manual 3.9 bhp just that the cc's are different and the stroke. I would really like to find the pre-filter part # because if I run the saw my top cover will be open to all that saw dust.

Thankyou for the reply. Saw Troll my saw is 06/09 according to the sticker on the handle. If you or anyone else can clear this up for me it would be appreciated! My manual states that the saw has the same output as the web manual 3.9 bhp just that the cc's are different and the stroke. I would really like to find the pre-filter part # because if I run the saw my top cover will be open to all that saw dust.

If it is from sept '06, I would want to change the "manifold" clamp as well - that is why I asked.....

If I'm remembering correctly the clamp is faulty and will cause it to suck air ultimately frying the saw.

I noticed that in the parts list for this saw they show a modification set for the air filter to carb. is this the part that you guys are talking about?

Hello, this is my first post, love the site!
I just purchased a dolmar 5100 from a dealer in my neck of the woods, anyway I looked over the manual that came in the box, and then i looked at the pdf. manual on the dolmar website. My manual does'nt show or say anything about a pre-filter, however the manual on the dolmar website shows a pre-filter in the engine cover at the back, has anyone else noticed this, I also looked at the parts breakdown on the dolmar site to see if I could find a part # so I could order one and they don't list a pre-filter only the air filters. This is my first dolmar . If anyone knows the part # for the pre filter I would be very pleased if you could help me ! I got a very good buy on this nice little saw because the dealer was giving up the dolmar brand, to another shop. The only thing is my saw was a left over meaning it is a 2006 model that was on display. Is this why my manual is different? I also noticed that the tag on my saw says 49.9cc the same as my manual lists this saw as only 49.9cc but the web site says 50.4cc? what's the deal . Do I have an odd ball?:dizzy:

The prefilter part # 181173250 went into production in May of 2007. Serial # 0705xxxxxx and later. It will install into any of the hoods on the PS-460, PS-510, PS-5100s.

The reason for the 49.9cc is because of EPA rules. The only spot that says 49.9 is on the emissions sticker on the gas tank. The displacement is 50.4cc.

Welcome to the site. My Dolmar 5100, just over 1 year old, has a pre-filter in the top removable cover. With the cover removed, looking into the cover, the pre-filter would be in the bottom right. It is nothing more than a small piece of black very open cell like foam material. Just enough to prevent wood pieces from getting inside. It slots into the top cover. Pretty hard to spot the first time.

Maybe the cc difference is due to a manufacturing change? Enough to ensure it is a "true" "50cc" saw?

You're correct on the first paragraph. Read about the EPA above.
The stated cc numbers for the 5100S has been a total mess from the outset - nobody seems to know the truth! :censored:

There are some Dolmar dealers on this site, like Cuttinscott and 166 - they should be able to help you with the top cover/prefilter issue.....:)

When in 2006 was your saw made?

Some of the Early PS-5000 models may have been 50.7cc but that was back in 2004. The PS-5100s was released in the Fall of 2005.

I forgot to mention that my cover on the 5100 has the cut out for the pre-filter, just no prefilter in it.

Read above

If it is from sept '06, I would want to change the "manifold" clamp as well - that is why I asked.....

There has been no change to the intake boot clamp. Only change is they installed an metal insert in the intake boot on the carburetor side.

Insert installed

attachment.php

Insert not installed
attachment.php

Insert
attachment.php

Hi,saw troll did they change some thing with the manifold to this saw?

Only added the intake insert (ring).

Troll you don't know the part# for the clamp by chance?

Intake boot insert (ring) part # 181131020

If I'm remembering correctly the clamp is faulty and will cause it to suck air ultimately frying the saw.

Just needs the intake ring installed.

Did dolmar use a different clamp or were the production clamps just faulty?:confused:

Dolmar never changed the clamp.

I noticed that in the parts list for this saw they show a modification set for the air filter to carb. is this the part that you guys are talking about?

This was a change only in the early model PS-4600s & PS-5000 sold in europe. This change took place before any of the US/Canada models PS-460, PS-510, PS-5100s were produced.

Does anybody realize the PS-7900 is only 78.5cc. So is the PS-7900 a 70cc or 80cc class saw?????:dizzy:

Last edited:
166 Thankyou for your post I appreciate your response!!:cheers:

My manual does list my saw as 49.9 cm3 the same as the handle sticker, unlike the manual from the Dolmar web site which reads 50.4cm3 did Dolmar make changes to the cylinder after 0609xxxxxxx serial number?

166 I have another question, I have only owned Husky products up till I purchased my ps-5100s, they recommend dolmar mix oil at a 50:1 ratio Unfortunately no dealer in my area has dolmar mix oil. I have always run Husky XP mix oil in my husky saws at 50:1 ratio, would that oil be ok for my dolmar 5100 at a 50:1 ratio or should I mix it to 40:1 like my manual suggests if I don't have dolmar oil?

I have only owned Husky products up till I purchased my ps-5100s, they recommend dolmar mix oil at a 50:1 ratio Unfortunately no dealer in my area has dolmar mix oil. I have always run Husky XP mix oil in my husky saws at 50:1 ratio, would that oil be ok for my dolmar 5100 at a 50:1 ratio or should I mix it to 40:1 like my manual suggests if I don't have dolmar oil?

Good oil is good oil. No worries on whose name is on it. Husqvarna oil is fine.

166 Thankyou for your post I appreciate your response!!:cheers:

My manual does list my saw as 49.9 cm3 the same as the handle sticker, unlike the manual from the Dolmar web site which reads 50.4cm3 did Dolmar make changes to the cylinder after 0609xxxxxxx serial number?

Hardly, but they have published several different numbers through the years, more than what 166 mentioned, and often at different places at the same time.......:dizzy:

The published hp and kW numbers on that saw also is a total mess - but all the numbers sure are in the ballpark - both cc and hp - and the saw is a very good one! :)

166 I have another question, I have only owned Husky products up till I purchased my ps-5100s, they recommend dolmar mix oil at a 50:1 ratio Unfortunately no dealer in my area has dolmar mix oil. I have always run Husky XP mix oil in my husky saws at 50:1 ratio, would that oil be ok for my dolmar 5100 at a 50:1 ratio or should I mix it to 40:1 like my manual suggests if I don't have dolmar oil?

Just use the xp oil at 50:1 - the 40:1 ratio is meant for lesser quality oil really, not for other (than Dolmar) high quality oils.

Last edited:
I love this little saw. I just want to make sure I don't damage it the first time out. Every time I went to the shop I bought it from it begged to come home!! I was a husky man come hell or high water, still am but I like the feal of this little sucker can't wait to hit the bark with it!!

Latest posts

Back