new to the site and not sure what saw I need

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepm@n

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi my name is Rob. I recently purchased and am almost done installing my outdoor wood boiler. The question I have is what chain saw should I purchase for cutting of my firewood and possibly falling some oaks that have died on my land? I know I'm going to be buying chaps, helmet, face shield, and hearing protection, as I'm not fond of the idea of removing my body parts with a chain saw. I'm looking at getting either a Stihl or Husqvarna with an 18" bar. The reason I was told by a friend for the 18" bar is that way I will not be hunched over for hours trying to cut firewood. I was also told that once I try a proffesional saw that is all I'll want to use. I do not want to spend more than 350 dollars.

Please help.:greenchainsaw:

Saw

Stihl or Husky are good saws. I use Stihl. It'll be tough to get a decent saw for that much unless you can find a good used one, but then you don't know how well it was taken care of.

I would look for a used saw

A used "Pro" saw in the 60cc range sounds right up your alley. something like a Husky 261 or similar, stihl 036/034 super. Maybe a Makita 6400 from Home Depot rental. Everybody raves about the Stihl 361, but maybe a little out of range price wise.

that size saw is a good combo with an 18" bar IMHO. I don't know about the not bending over part, but an 18" bar is a good match power wise to a 60ish cc saw. It will allow you to cut close to 36" without too much trouble.

Check out the Chainsaw forum and Trading Post, just scroll down a bit on the home page. LOTS of reading in the Chainsaw Forum. Welcome to the site.:greenchainsaw:

I've new here too - I've been using a MS290 w/ 20" bar (20" is a touch too big) for ~ 4 years. We've got an OWB as well. You can pick them up used for 150-250, depending on condition. Check local saw stores regardless of what brand they carry - someone may have traded one in on another brand or upgraded with the same brand.

My son and I both cut firewood with Stihl MS290s, one with an 18" 0.325 pitch bar/chain, and the other a 20" 3/8" pitch, listing around $360 or so around here. They're said to be heavy and underpowered compared to some of the pro saws, but then, these are the best saws we've ever had, and we're completely satisfied with them. I don't miss not having a 361, but maybe that's because I've never tried one. In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man rules.

Hi my name is Rob. I recently purchased and am almost done installing my outdoor wood boiler. The question I have is what chain saw should I purchase for cutting of my firewood and possibly falling some oaks that have died on my land? I know I'm going to be buying chaps, helmet, face shield, and hearing protection, as I'm not fond of the idea of removing my body parts with a chain saw. I'm looking at getting either a Stihl or Husqvarna with an 18" bar. The reason I was told by a friend for the 18" bar is that way I will not be hunched over for hours trying to cut firewood. I was also told that once I try a proffesional saw that is all I'll want to use. I do not want to spend more than 350 dollars.

Please help.:greenchainsaw:

Rob.. Are you trying to tell us that you dont currently have a chainsaw? I assume you have experiance in running a saw correct? Welcome to the site and if you think that your gonna be happy with just 1 saw.. just linger around here and a good case of cad will be hunting for ya!! :chainsaw::rock:

No I honestly do not have any experience running a chain saw. My future in-laws are coming over to help me drop 3 dead oaks and a birch. My future Brother in-law has 12 years working for Asplundh. He told me to get a Stihl but I'm not sure which one. I hear yah about getting more then 1 saw. I have done the same with Jeeps. I had 7 at one time lol. Now I'm down to 2 and will be 1 on Sunday. :(

Most likely what you need is a dependable saw that will be around working for years and years with no problems. for 300 ther aren't many like that around and finding one used is not recomened with your experiance level. I really have no idea what goes wrong with homeowner saws but I can tell you what goes wrong with pro grade; nothing.

get at least a 20" bar. 361 or something. Pro saws are nice but i love my 039. Its light and has some balls. The pro saws are just relay nice and bulletproof if you ask me.

start searching about how to buck and fell trees. Knowledge is your friend.

I'll agree with those before me who suggested a pro-grade saw around 60cc. That is a good all around size. Like any tool, there is a proper one for each job. No doubt you find yourself needing more than one saw before too long. The pro grade saws are a little more money up front, but are inexpensive to rebuild when the time comes..... unlike plastic cased saws which are throw aways. Definitely get yourself some personal protective equipment, such as gloves, chaps, and a helmet. And use them. Please look around this site at some of the chainsaw injuries people have suffered. A little protection goes a long, long way. Get a little operational instruction before you head out on your own. Be safe, and enjoy the money you save on heat !

With an outdoor boiler you've set your price limit for a chainsaw a bit low, IMO.

You've got some serious wood cutting ahead of you and if you skimp on chainsaws........you will pay with greatly increased wear and tear on your body!

Time is going to be a great teacher.:cheers:

/

I'm with Dan on this one! An OWB will be a BEAST to feed, we are talking serious cutting here!
To go on the cheap look at the Husky 450 and 460 models, for Stihl there is a 270 possibly the 250 (VERY minimum!) and the 290 (I'm not a fan).
I don't care much for the old 346xp or any version of the Ms260.
I'd reffer you back to trying to find a Home Depot off rental 6401 as a good bang for buck.

Ok to get a pro grade saw what are we talking? 4-500? I'd like something that will last. A 20" bar though? That seems large for cutting firewood isn't it? I could up my saw ante to the 500 dollar mark but that thing better be more then worth it. I'm going to be learning some this weekend. I'm stoked:chainsaw:

$400-500 is a good range to be in, that opens up a lot more options for you, and gets you a much better saw.

Heres the thing, I always encourage people to buy a saw one size larger than what they think they need. I learned this lesson the hard way myself. I had been content with my Husky 350 then took the plunge and bought what I assumed would be the largest saw I would ever need an MS390 with a 20 and 25" bar. The first tree I went to take down to sell firewood was too large for the 25" bar to reach through and there wasn't really a safe way for me to fell the stump. I sold it and bought a hot rodded 046 kept the 25" and bought a 32".
Right now you have a bunch of deadwood to clean up and I gather it's on the small side, but this isn't a fire place, this is an OWB, it takes a lot to feed these beasts. What are you going to have to cut up for next year, or the year after that? Is that 18" going to keep cutting what you can come across to feed it? Remember you are talking CORDS of wood, not a cord or two worth of cutting.
I don't know, maybe all you have is a bunch of 14" tree's and they never get bigger than that. But I know that I have used my 32" bar a lot more than I like to, enough that I came across a deal and bought another one to have a spare!
Think about your area, think about the trees, look around surrounding areas you may have to cut on to get wood, how big are the trees? If you cheap out on a saw now and find out i's not large enough o powerful enough to keep up how frustrated are you going to be when you have to buy another one to replace it?
I really am just trying to help you out here, this is the reason I don't have an OWB myself, it's a commitment!

same situation here - OWB, have a MS290 w 20" bar and upgrading soon.

My stove is inefficient now, house is new & well insulated - last year I estimate I burned 30rick (aka: 10 cords). That's alot for 1 guy to drag, cut and split EVERY YEAR. A couple hundred for a more capable saw is $ well spent IMO.

You can't not afford a great saw

If you can afford an OWB, you can can afford a good saw.

A.S.members talked me into getting a Stihl MS361 almost 3 years ago to replace a good older design Poulan 65 pro saw. It was more than I wanted to pay bit was a great decision.

Here's that thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=624748#post624748

Since I bought it I have tripled my wood cutting and paid for it many times doing side jobs and selling fire wood. I have heated with wood for 30 years and my intent was just replace my old saw.

It is perfect with the Stihl RSC chain on the 18" bar I normally run. When I need to cut large wood, to 48" I use a 24" bar with full skip chain from Baileys. It screams through the occasional oak, maple or ash in the 40-48"range with sharp full skip.

One of it's best features is the high power to weight ratio.

I think that this is the perfect saw for the need you describe. If there is any way you can go the extra mile for a pro saw in this range. 59cc, 4.4 hp, 12.4lb. you won't regret it ... assuming cutting and heating with wood is what you want to do long term. It is a great 1-saw solution to lots of firewood.

One last point: learn how to keep your chains sharp. If you don't someone could give you a great saw and you won't be happy. If it's not sharp it's not worth using and can be more dangerous also.

Make those chips fly!:chainsaw:

Ok I'm looking at a Husq 346XP or a Stihl MS260. Are these going to be decent starter saws? I was planning on the 18" bar. I'm probably going to buy more saws as I go along. I did that with Jeeps, fishing rods, guns, air tools, and Beagles. :confused:

Ok I'm looking at a Husq 346XP or a Stihl MS260. Are these going to be decent starter saws? I was planning on the 18" bar. I'm probably going to buy more saws as I go along. I did that with Jeeps, fishing rods, guns, air tools, and Beagles. :confused:

the 260pro is around $530.

Sawinredneck what is your reason for not liking the two saws I listed? I guess I'm looking at them from all angles.

I've run the 346XP and was impressed at the cutting speed. I was less impressed with my friend's MS 260 which was using full 3/8 pitch chain on a 20" bar. Bad match up on this 3HP saw.

I think you're in the right neighborhood: pro-saws from top manufacturers.

I've been wanting that little 346XP since I ran it. It could be a great place to "start" if you have a budget for more saws. If the budget is a little tight, a slightly larger saw would be a better idea, such as the 361.

Another consideration if you don't have a good free wood supply, being able to cut larger trunks is a way to get free wood. I just got the ok to cut one up tonight. That's not practical with the smaller saws you mentioned.

Latest posts

Back