new to the site and not sure what saw I need

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Choice

Congrats on not pinching pennies and wasting dollars. It sounds like you have a decent Husky dealer.:cheers:

You should love that saw. Keep in mind it will take a while to break in, and don't hesitate to have it checked out during or after that break-in period of about 10 tanks of gas.

Also, note the way it cuts new, chip size, speed straightness of cut. It should never cut worse than that, in fact it should only get better. If it doesn't - come back to A.S. for sharpening and bar care tips.

I rarely see a homeowner wood cutter that knows how to keep his saw tuned and cutting well. Some of them might as well be using buck saws. It laughable and dangerous.

Make those chips fly...:chainsaw:

Make sure that is the new edition 346XP...should have a grey clutch cover and decomp button. The new edition is 50cc where the old edition is 45. Nothing wrong w/ the Old edition (I have one), but if your paying retail price he better be selling you the new edition.
Great choice...I have an OWB and the first year I kept it filled running an 029 and a Poulan wildthang. Everyone is right saws can get addicting and nothing easy about cutting 10 cords a year. Much more fun cutting now that I have some very quality saws to utilize.

I'm glad you found something you are happy with and didn't cheap out!:clap:
Don't worry about the handling issues, you have to run it, not us, that is why I encourage hadling as many saws as you can, so you can find the one that feels "right" for you!
Now go cut some wood!

346xp very nice saw. Use mine mainly by the chipper. Replaced a recoil spool after it cracked and new clutch springs after one broke. Other than that, usual wear parts, sprocket bar and chains. Very reliable starter and smooth running. Has a "sweet spot" around 9 or 10 thousand rpms. I think that is a really good price for the new one. My dad got one couple months back, and I used it to fell two red oaks 30"DBH and he had em all cut up split and stacked before the week was done. He's 77, and loves that saw. You will too...ENJOY

randy

Ok I'm looking at a Husq 346XP or a Stihl MS260. Are these going to be decent starter saws? I was planning on the 18" bar. I'm probably going to buy more saws as I go along. I did that with Jeeps, fishing rods, guns, air tools, and Beagles. :confused:

Chainsaws are a lot like shoes. You won't know how comfortable (or uncomfortable) a chainsaw will feel in you hands (or on your back) until you actually pick it up and cut wood with it. One or two hours of comfortable cutting without body fatigue or back pain is much more important than a few seconds saved in cutting speed.

ArboristSite GTGs are a fantastic way to try out different makes, models and configurations of chainsaws. I attended the SoCal GTG yesterday. It was well worth the drive.

In the 50cc class, I tried two Stihl MS260 Pros, a Dolmar 5100S, and a Makita DCS-510.

The two MS260 Pros felt like 2 completely different saws. The first MS260 Pro with 20 inch bar and 3/8 pitch chain felt a little nose heavy and it slowed down a bit in the cut. The second MS260 Pro with 18" bar and .325 pitch chain had perfect balance, had plenty of power and it didn't slow down in the cut.

The Dolmar 5100S with 18" bar and 3/8 pitch chain displayed awesome grunt and power in the cut. The 5100S is a 50cc saw that cuts like a 60cc saw. The slightly heavier Makita DCS-510 also displayed great power in the cut.

All four 50cc saws had a completely different feel and balance unique to each of them. The stock MS260 Pro with 18" bar and .325 chain made the best ergonomic fit and feel for my body and my back. The Dolmar 5100S with 18" bar and 3/8 pitch chain ran a close second place.

I haven't had an opportunity to try cutting wood with a Husky 346XP NE yet.

Last edited:
.....Harley sucks by the way Yea but you'll get blown more if your on one.

Off topic again. Sorry. There is a sweet looking 2065 Jonsered on the Bay right now for $369. Perfect saw for firewood duty. I know it weighs the same as the 2171 but bang for the buck the 65cc J-Reds and Husky[365] can't be beat IMO.

Then go and get one of those 350 Huskys for 2 something and your set up with a nice 2 saw plan for probably the price of a 361.

I would then go to Tractor Supply and get one of those 330 Poulan Pro's for $199, and you'll be set for allot of years to come.

Bought the 346XP and have no doubts I made a good choice. Cut up about 5 cords this weekend already. Love the saw. Again thanks everyone for their opinions and advice.

Congrats on the 346xp, Jeep. I've hear a lot of good things about them.
I have a OWB too. People are right it's one hungry sob. I burned almost 40 ricks last year.

I think it won't take you long to figure out cad or not your going to need a back up saw.

I would suggest keep your eyes open for a good bigger Husky. That way you have a back up and a "big wood" saw both. A 372xp would fit the bill nice.

With an outdoor boiler you've set your price limit for a chainsaw a bit low, IMO.

You've got some serious wood cutting ahead of you and if you skimp on chainsaws........you will pay with greatly increased wear and tear on your body!

Time is going to be a great teacher.:cheers:

/

:agree2: Exactly! :clap::clap:

I think tomorrow AM I will be the proud owner of a 346XP. He is throwing in a spare chain, a case at cost and is charging me $475 for the saw. It's more then I wanted to pay for a saw but I figured do it right the first time. I did go and try the Stihl, Dolmar, and 455 husky rancher. I felt to much vibration with those saws and speed was fine to me with them. The weight of the Rancher and Dolmar seemed to be unbalanced to me. I have pretty serious carpal tunnel and have gone through 3 surgeries on one wrist.My joints don't like the vibration much. Thank you guys for all your input and for giving me a starting point.

The 346xp is a very good "place" to stary - congrats! :clap::clap:

Husky 450 and 460 models, for Stihl there is a 270 possibly the 250 (VERY minimum!) and the 290 (I'm not a fan).
I don't care much for the old 346xp or any version of the Ms260.
I'd reffer you back to trying to find a Home Depot off rental 6401 as a good bang for buck.

I would not recommend the 250, but the 270 is a good little saw.

Personally I have no issues with the 260.

The 361 or 441 are nice saws as well.. although maybe getting a little on the high side price wise.

If money were not the issue, then I would recommend a 441 with a 20" bar.

If money is an issue.. take a look at the 270. 20" is maximum on that saw though, and an 18" would be great pick.

Latest posts

Back